Cumberland Parkway: Say "bye" to I-66, "hi" to an I-x65

Started by hbelkins, September 25, 2020, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 03, 2021, 11:42:13 AM
Oh, and it's the Mountain Parkway.  No nicknames for that. 

Around here, it's "the parkway" and some even call it "the toll road" even though the tolls have been off for 35 years.

QuoteFunny thing is that my relatives up the hollers in Wheelwright or outside Prestonsburg (Abbott Creek) consider some areas along the Mountain Parkway the real land of scary hillbillies that'll shoot you if you come to their door and the like.

Magoffin County is a world unto itself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CardInLex

sparker

Quote from: CardInLex on August 05, 2021, 08:06:03 PM
The new infrastructure bill includes that the Cumberland will become a spur of I-65.

Page 445

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/01/politics/read-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-text/index.html

And if you read a bit further, you'll find it even has a designated number: I-365.  That's not particularly ambitious; it ends at the existing US 27 junction near Somerset rather than continuing east to I-75 (and beyond) as the previous I-66 proposal specified.  At this point it appears that neither KDOT nor the state's congressional delegation have an appetite for new construction beyond what it will entail to bring the former parkway up to Interstate standards. 

CardInLex

You are correct about it being I-365.

I was hoping the MLC BG Pkwy would become I-565 in this bill too. But fingers crossed for later.

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2021, 04:42:52 AM
Quote from: CardInLex on August 05, 2021, 08:06:03 PM
The new infrastructure bill includes that the Cumberland will become a spur of I-65.

Page 445

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/01/politics/read-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-text/index.html

And if you read a bit further, you'll find it even has a designated number: I-365.  That's not particularly ambitious; it ends at the existing US 27 junction near Somerset rather than continuing east to I-75 (and beyond) as the previous I-66 proposal specified.  At this point it appears that neither KDOT nor the state's congressional delegation have an appetite for new construction beyond what it will entail to bring the former parkway up to Interstate standards.

There's a construction project underway to turn the KY 80/KY 461 intersection east of Somerset into a grade-separated interchange. The through movement, for now, will be 461 south to 80 west, and 80 east to 461 north. The interchange is being built to serve as the future eastern end of the Cumberland Parkway, which is to be expanded from US 27 to that location. When that extension is complete, 80 west/Cumberland west and 80 east-Cumberland east will also be a through movement. But until it's built, through traffic on 80 will have to use a loop ramp westbound and what amounts to a slip ramp eastbound.

The interchange project got funded through one of those named competitive grant efforts (INFRA or BUILD or whatever that particular one was called).

seicer

Are there plans / maps out there now that show the location of the Parkway extension from Somerset?

That's interesting about the through movements. Does that mean that a future extension east along KY 80 is dead? Or that in the future both KY 461 and KY 80 could be four-laned? And what about I-66?

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2021, 05:37:21 PM
The interchange project got funded through one of those named competitive grant efforts (INFRA or BUILD or whatever that particular one was called).

According to local media I've pulled up, part of the funding is a $25M BUILD grant.

Quote from: seicer on August 07, 2021, 10:04:29 AM
That's interesting about the through movements. Does that mean that a future extension east along KY 80 is dead? Or that in the future both KY 461 and KY 80 could be four-laned? And what about I-66?

In case you weren't aware, the project includes about 3 miles of 4-laning along 461 as well as an interchange on 461 at Valley Oak Dr/Pin Oak Dr.

seicer

I had forgotten. I did find that KYTC has a map of the active projects which shows the alignment of the extension, along with plans for the four-laning: https://maps.kytc.ky.gov/activehighwayplan/?xmin=-9432928.711601421&xmax=-9384009.013498973&ymin=4447888.271183945&ymax=4470475.413042184

ibthebigd

I wish KYTC would have websites for big projects like this and the US 127 realignment around Wolf Creek Dam.

I'm from Indiana and INDOT always makes good pages about projects.

SM-G950U

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on August 07, 2021, 10:16:46 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2021, 05:37:21 PM

According to local media I've pulled up, part of the funding is a $25M BUILD grant.

In case you weren't aware, the project includes about 3 miles of 4-laning along 461 as well as an interchange on 461 at Valley Oak Dr/Pin Oak Dr.

There's been an industrial area along 461 north of 80 for decades. 461 was originally improved to just beyond those factories and I drove the old route a few times before the current alignment to I-75 finally got built.

clong

Snapped a picture this weekend on the Cumberland Parkway of one of several of these Future I-65 Spur signs. Also saw some guardrail installation.

dvferyance

Quote from: CardInLex on August 06, 2021, 03:38:02 PM

I was hoping the MLC BG Pkwy would become I-565 in this bill too. But fingers crossed for later.
I would make it I-765. The WK Parkway is slated to become I-569. I-565 sounds too similar.

MATraveler128

Quote from: dvferyance on October 22, 2022, 06:48:28 PM

I would make it I-765. The WK Parkway is slated to become I-569. I-565 sounds too similar.

That doesn't stop I-264 and I-265 both existing in Kentucky.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

I-55

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on October 22, 2022, 07:16:13 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on October 22, 2022, 06:48:28 PM

That doesn't stop I-264 and I-265 both existing in Kentucky.

But at least 4 and 5 have different vowel sounds, whereas 5 and 9 are both long i's.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

XamotCGC

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2021, 06:55:52 PM

Around here, it's "the parkway" and some even call it "the toll road" even though the tolls have been off for 35 years.

QuoteFunny thing is that my relatives up the hollers in Wheelwright or outside Prestonsburg (Abbott Creek) consider some areas along the Mountain Parkway the real land of scary hillbillies that'll shoot you if you come to their door and the like.

So no one calls it the Combs Parkway?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Rothman

Quote from: XamotCGC on October 24, 2022, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2021, 06:55:52 PM

So no one calls it the Combs Parkway?
No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

Practically everyone around here call it the Mountain Parkway - and that's how it's written in local papers and media outlets, so the name just stuck around. No one also refers to the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway as that - it's usually referred to as just the Western Kentucky Parkway, although this may be slowly changing with the I-69 designation on parts of it. The AA Highway is referred to almost exclusively as just that even though it can both be KY 9 and KY 10 (or both!) depending on what segment you are on. The Industrial Parkway is KY 67 although it is also not often referred to as that.

The original parkways all have secret designations in the 9000-range, too.

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on October 25, 2022, 09:39:05 AM
Practically everyone around here call it the Mountain Parkway - and that's how it's written in local papers and media outlets, so the name just stuck around. No one also refers to the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway as that - it's usually referred to as just the Western Kentucky Parkway, although this may be slowly changing with the I-69 designation on parts of it. The AA Highway is referred to almost exclusively as just that even though it can both be KY 9 and KY 10 (or both!) depending on what segment you are on. The Industrial Parkway is KY 67 although it is also not often referred to as that.

The original parkways all have secret designations in the 9000-range, too.

I do wonder whether people still call it the Daniel Boone Parkway...

And then 23 through Eastern KY is "the Four Lane," and 80 coming westward out of Allen will seemingly always be "New 80." :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

My buddy lives in Manchester and they refer to it as "the parkway." I don't think the Daniel Boone Parkway name really caught on - plus it was the only improved road out there, so the name didn't have competition with other roads.

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on October 25, 2022, 12:16:33 PM
My buddy lives in Manchester and they refer to it as "the parkway." I don't think the Daniel Boone Parkway name really caught on - plus it was the only improved road out there, so the name didn't have competition with other roads.
I doubt Hal Rogers has.  My relatives called it the Daniel Boone.  Just dawned on me that I don't know if they still do.

hbelkins

I have to make a conscious effort to refer to it as "Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway" on first reference in press releases, and even then I don't always use the late governor's name. No one uses the full name; in fact, most just call it "the parkway."

As for the Hal Rogers, I have slipped up and called it "Daniel Boone" in interviews, but it doesn't help that I have a never-installed Daniel Boone Parkway sign in my office.

XamotCGC

I still to refer to the Bluegrass Parkway as the BG Parkway because of the old signage. The signage that came after with the name change is very dull.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

KentuckyParkways

Are there plans / maps out there now that show the location of the Parkway extension from Somerset?

wasn't 39 supposed to have an interchange with the bypass or was that scrapped when the planned allignment changed?

hobsini2

Personally, I always preferred named highways to be named after locations first and then well known (and I mean Nationally known) dead politicians.
And keeping the original name unless there is a local conflict with another road nearby.

To this day, I still use the Northwest Tollway, East-West Tollway and North-South Tollway names for 88, 90 and 355.

In Kentucky, the Natcher will always be the Green River.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 18, 2023, 11:58:58 AM
Personally, I always preferred named highways to be named after locations first and then well known (and I mean Nationally known) dead politicians.
And keeping the original name unless there is a local conflict with another road nearby.

To this day, I still use the Northwest Tollway, East-West Tollway and North-South Tollway names for 88, 90 and 355.

In Kentucky, the Natcher will always be the Green River.
People around Owensboro picked up on the Natcher name pretty quickly, and the Green River went back to being just a river. And the same for its "new" name, I-165. You'll still hear folks call it "the Natcher" from time to time, but "165" is catching on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.