News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northeast / Re: New Jersey
Last post by odditude - Today at 02:52:31 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2024, 06:58:17 PMI see the 1-9 thing is being used now for the US 40/322 overlap in Egg Harbor.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aY72Wh6Y7wj5PMnN7
40-322 inside a single shield just like 1-9 in North Jersey.

that one belongs in Design Errors for other reasons, too - no border around the sign, unnecessary horizontal dividers, the directional being a colored placard instead of just text, insufficient spacing...
Off-Topic / Re: Buc-ees outside of Texas.
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - Today at 02:47:33 AM
Buc-ee's is scouting out locations in the Kansas City area (more specifically, on the Kansas side).

https://www.kctv5.com/2024/05/04/buc-ees-has-its-eyes-new-location-kansas-city-what-we-know-so-far/

Right near the Kansas Speedway off on Interstate 70, right near the I-435 junction!
Off-Topic / Re: Black Friday could be your...
Last post by Bruce - Today at 02:25:23 AM
The Walmarts in my area recently decided to clearance most of their WD SSDs. I picked up a 1TB SATA SSD for $25, which is a pretty decent deal.
Off-Topic / Re: Who misses the old McDonal...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 01:58:34 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on Today at 12:55:57 AMThe new-build McD's look like banks, which I'm sure they hope to sell to as branch locations as soon as the building value exceeds the burger profit.

In Norman, OK there is a credit union that's in a remodeled Church's Chicken location.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by plain - Today at 01:48:46 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2024, 06:52:29 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/FocYdxDYbFTX4Sxe6
The AC Expressway in NJ always had strange signing practices, but this one where the arrow on top of the shield is a common thing where the contractor isn't paying attention.

It's been a couple years since I've been on the ACE but most of the ones I've seen indeed had the arrow on top.

QuotePlus the ACE using destinations rather than directions was always unusual. Now they're slowly phasing them out for direction banners.

This I'm kinda sad about this because the ACE is like the equivalent of Canada's QEW in this regard.

Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 01:08:03 AM
The insect situation in the Central Vallehy of California is just as bad if not worse than what i experienced in Florida.  I ponder over this every Spring since moving here from Orlando in 2016.
Northeast / Re: NYC Roads
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 01:06:33 AM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 12:10:09 AM
Quote from: TheDon102 on May 04, 2024, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2024, 06:45:30 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on May 04, 2024, 09:50:05 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2024, 11:19:56 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on May 03, 2024, 10:26:32 PMSomething I dont see talked about here is how NYCDOT has been on a mission removing car lanes from the avenues and the major east-west thoroughfares in Manhattan. They have created a lot of congestion themselves (yes congestion existed before NYCDOT reimagined NYC Streets but it has gotten worse). The remedy to this artificially inflated congestion is to punish drivers by charging them a +$15 toll to enter Manhattan's CBD. In addition trucks will pay much larger tolls thereby increasing prices on food and other commodities. Obviously most NYC residents use public transit, however NYC residents rely on trucks to deliver food to various local businesses.

I just drove around Manhattan without much issue a few weeks ago.  I find your description to be an exaggeration.

8th avenue going from 5 through lanes to 2 lanes, car ban on 14th street for most hours of the day, taking a lane from seemingly all of the NYCDOT owned east river crossings, 3rd avenue going from 5 through lanes to 3, 2nd avenue going from 4 through lanes to 2 (from 23rd street to houston), 9th avenue going from 5 lanes to 3 lanes. 

I'm not seeing the issue.  Like I said, the system seems to be handling it.

The rationale for congestion pricing from the MTA is that congestion in the Manhattan CBD is so bad that we need to charge people a fee in order to discourage people from driving. So it doesn't seem like the system is handling it.

I thought we were saying that the goal of raising revenue for MTA was blatant in the planning docs, rather than congestion mitigation.

It is obvious it's a cash grab from the MTA, whether there's actually unbearable congestion or not.
Off-Topic / Re: Who misses the old McDonal...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 12:55:57 AM
The new-build McD's look like banks, which I'm sure they hope to sell to as branch locations as soon as the building value exceeds the burger profit.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by plain - Today at 12:53:23 AM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 12:44:53 AM
Quote from: plain on Today at 12:38:55 AM
Quote from: Black-Man on May 04, 2024, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 17, 2024, 09:17:11 AMYou might want to check your facts.  While the cities of Charleston and Huntington are in decline...
Facts?

Pittsburgh metro: 2.35 million
Cleveland metro: 2.06 million
Columbus metro: 2.16 million
West Virginia: 1.77 million

There is no justification for Huntington-Charleston to be connected by a 6-lane interstate highway. It's a misallocation of resources that probably should have been invested in the eastern panhandle.

The Charleston-Huntington CSA (Combined Statistical Area) has a population of over 600k, and most of that population is within 15 miles of I-64. That alone is enough to justify the 6-lanes throughout the stretch between the two cities. Add thru traffic and that further justifies it.

I've driven that stretch plenty of times myself, and I'd say it's time.

Those metro areas you listed has multiple multi-lane expressways serving them, while that particular part of WV (especially the western side) don't.

Again, comparing to similar areas in MA, no.

Do those similar areas in MA have a similar percentage of long distance trucks slowing things down? On very hilly terrain?
Off-Topic / Re: Mortgage Payments should b...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 12:51:00 AM
I got a 6% mortgage 20 years ago. I looked into a refi when the rates bottomed out but the banks either turned me down or made me jump through more hoops than I wanted to go through, so I stuck it out. Glad I did. I paid ahead on principal early on and in a few years I will be debt free.

Bad thing is the Texas property taxes by that time will be like paying a monthly mortgage, so I will either be renting or moving out of state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.