News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95 Beach traffic between Delawere to NH

Started by A00234826, May 11, 2014, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A00234826

Its almost summer
and on Weekend means beach traffic especaly on I-95, I-84, I-93 I-287 I-495 and stuff like that

I wonder which arias on I-95 between Newark De and Hampton Beach NH has high traffic rate during the summer.
like in Ct- RI- MA for example

The reason is that in a few years I will be living in Newark De becasue its tax free De but everyweekend during the summer I plan to drive up to Hampton Beach NH to see my family.
During the summer Im planning to leave Newark De at around 4.30-5am the route Im planning to take is I-95 north to Delawere Memorial Bridge then NJ turnpike to the GW bridge to I-95 north through Ct-RI-MA then in Canton I plan to take I-93 through Boston as a short cut insted of Rt-128 then I continue on I-93 north then get on I-95 Rt-128 north in Woburn then stay on I-95 north to Exit 2 to get on Rt-101.

I think that if I stay on I-95 or go east of it like I-93 in Boston I would not worry about beach traffic from Inland because on I-495 northbound in Amesbury there tons of beach traffic getting to I-95 can be backup to far as haverhill, Im worred that If I get off go inland to get on I-84 in Ct I would hit more beach traffic with people heading east from the inland west and more congestion on I-84, I-90, I-495.

I got some questons
Im avoiding I-495 in MA at all cost and taking ether Rt-128 or I-93, Is cutting on I-93 from Canton to Woburn a good shortcut insted of taking Rt-128 though Waltham, Burlington.

Is the GW bridge and Cross Bronx expressway a good idea on a summer Saturday am becasue Im worred about I-287 beceasue if I take the Tappen Zee bridge I could hit Beach traffic on the bridge and on I-287 heading to I-95 in Port Chester

What spots on I-95 in Ct-RI has the most beach traffic I have to worry about

In MA where are the hot spots for beach traffic on I-95. I-495 I-84 I-93

Lastly When I get to NH I plan to take Exit 2 pay a $.75 toll and head to Rt-101 east to the beach, google said to take Exit 1 Rt-107 and US-1 north, I object becasue Rt-1 is always congested with trafic in Seabrook. is taking Exit 2 and paying the $.75 toll a good idea when heading to Hampton.

Thanks

hotdogPi

Quote from: A00234826 on May 11, 2014, 10:15:17 PM

Lastly When I get to NH I plan to take Exit 2 pay a $.75 toll and head to Rt-101 east to the beach, google said to take Exit 1 Rt-107 and US-1 north, I object becasue Rt-1 is always congested with trafic in Seabrook. is taking Exit 2 and paying the $.75 toll a good idea when heading to Hampton.

Thanks

What do you think about 286 to 1A?

(And I think the toll for I-95 is $2, not $.75)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

A00234826

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2014, 10:31:58 PM

Thanks

Right but Im taking Exit 2 and it only cost $.75 if you going on Rt-101, It cost $2 to remain on I-95
also Im going to the northen part of Hampton beach so I take Rt-101 east from I-95 then take Rt-1A north

roadman

Im avoiding I-495 in MA at all cost and taking ether Rt-128 or I-93, Is cutting on I-93 from Canton to Woburn a good shortcut insted of taking Rt-128 though Waltham, Burlington.
On summer weekends, the choke point on I-95 (MA 128) north typically begins at the lane drop (4 to 3) at MA 28 at the Reading/Stoneham line, which is just north of the I-95/I-93 Woburn interchange.  While this often affects the I-95 (MA 128) mainline, it also backs up I-93 northbound as well, usually to or past Montvale Avenue in Stoneham.  Also consider the fact that the current lane restrictions on the Tobin Bridge northbound (for bridge painting) can easily back up that traffic onto the Zakim Bridge (and often into the O'Neill Tunnel itself) as well.

So, unless there's a crash or other problem on I-95 north between Canton and Woburn, I'd say your best bet would be to stick with I-95.  However, as always, keeping an ear to the local traffic reports (WBZ AM 1030 broadcasts traffic "on the threes", even during the day on weekends) is a good idea.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

You will encounter vacationer traffic on all summer weekends in a lot of places, but 84 or 15 will rarely be as bad as 95, particularly once you get up past Hartford.  Remember, once you hit that two-lane nonsense east of New Haven, with all those people heading from NY to the Cape and whatever, you have no good alternate until 395, after which you're pretty much stuck with 95 or poor alternates until Canton, MA.   

If you choose the Merritt, for instance, you have escape routes at CT 8, the Milford Parkway, etc., and 691 and CT 9 from 84, none of which adds significant time or distance to your trip. 

I speak from much experience.  95 is not only longer, but more or less a trap.

signalman

The reason is that in a few years I will be living in Newark De becasue its tax free
Let me get this straight...your only motivation for moving to Delaware is the lack of sales tax?  That's laughable.  They most certainly have real estate taxes, albeit quite low.  I'm also pretty sure there's an income tax there.

A00234826

Quote from: signalman on May 12, 2014, 03:17:43 PM
The reason is that in a few years I will be living in Newark De becasue its tax free
Let me get this straight...your only motivation for moving to Delaware is the lack of sales tax?  That's laughable.  They most certainly have real estate taxes, albeit quite low.  I'm also pretty sure there's an income tax there.
Your right but Delaweres overall tax policy is much cheapter and lower then any New England State (ps NH has no sales, nor imcome tax but has a high property tax).

A00234826

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 12, 2014, 12:10:19 PM
You will encounter vacationer traffic on all summer weekends in a lot of places, but 84 or 15 will rarely be as bad as 95, particularly once you get up past Hartford.  Remember, once you hit that two-lane nonsense east of New Haven, with all those people heading from NY to the Cape and whatever, you have no good alternate until 395, after which you're pretty much stuck with 95 or poor alternates until Canton, MA.   

If you choose the Merritt, for instance, you have escape routes at CT 8, the Milford Parkway, etc., and 691 and CT 9 from 84, none of which adds significant time or distance to your trip. 

Thanks but If I take I-91 and or I-84 I could hit traffic heading over the Conneticut River like the Chatter olk Bridge, Sometimes there backup on I-91 north approching Exit 29 and ramp to Rt-15 north to I-84 east can be stop and go and sometimes be back up to Exit 26 on I-91

Pete from Boston

Quote from: A00234826 on May 12, 2014, 06:27:32 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 12, 2014, 12:10:19 PM

Thanks but If I take I-91 and or I-84 I could hit traffic heading over the Conneticut River like the Chatter olk Bridge, Sometimes there backup on I-91 north approching Exit 29 and ramp to Rt-15 north to I-84 east can be stop and go and sometimes be back up to Exit 26 on I-91

I've driven the NY-Boston trip about 300 times myself, and have been been a passenger many others.  Granted, I avoid rush hour, but I have never seen Charter Oak Bridge traffic backed up to Exit 26. 

And if this happens, the Putnam Bridge and 291 are excellent alternatives. (I know, I know — but what if they have traffic?  Better just take 95 the whole way and stay on the safe side.)

A00234826

Quote from: roadman on May 12, 2014, 09:34:29 AM
On summer weekends, the choke point on I-95 (MA 128) north typically begins at the lane drop (4 to 3) at MA 28 at the Reading/Stoneham line, which is just north of the I-95/I-93 Woburn interchange.  While this often affects the I-95 (MA 128) mainline, it also backs up I-93 northbound as well, usually to or past Montvale Avenue in Stoneham.  Also consider the fact that the current lane restrictions on the Tobin Bridge northbound (for bridge painting) can easily back up that traffic onto the Zakim Bridge (and often into the O'Neill Tunnel itself) as well.

So, unless there's a crash or other problem on I-95 north between Canton and Woburn, I'd say your best bet would be to stick with I-95.  However, as always, keeping an ear to the local traffic reports (WBZ AM 1030 broadcasts traffic "on the threes", even during the day on weekends) is a good idea.
Thanks,

PS after every summer weekend I plan to return to Delawere on Sunday leaving Hampton at 3pm and plan to be back at Delawere at around 10pm  I plan to take Rt-101 west (pay the $.75 toll ) to I-95 south to I-95 Rt-128 south then get on I-93 south (by exit 37A) through Boston then I-95 south to the GW bridge to NJ turnpike south to Delawere Memorial Bridge.

Im defently avoiding I-495 at all cost becasue of the overnight constrution and lane closers, also I uslay take Rt-101 all the way to I-95 and pay the $.75 toll instead of getting on US-1 towed Seabrook, then when I head towerd Boston I dont take US-1 ether insted I take Rt-128 south to Exit 37A to get on I-93 south

questons. 1. I know I-93 on southeast expressway southbound is stop and go during the weekdays eves  I-93 but is the (southeast expressway southbound) or I-93 south in Boston aria more or less congested on a summer Sunday eve.

2. Will I hit any beach traffic on I-95 in Rhode Island heading south of Providence (like in Cranston, Warick aria) on a summer sunday eve (maby when I get to the I-195 interchange Would I hit any traffic on the I-195 onramp to I-95 south from Cape Cod)

3. IN New York Is the GW Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway less congested then I-287 Cross Westchester Expresway and Tappen Zee Bridge (I fear that many commuters are heading home from the beach and taking the Tappen zee bridge to head west)

4. Where are the hotspots for beach traffic heading home on Sunday night on I-95, I-93 I-495 I-84 I-90 and I-287

5. on The NJ turnpike should I go on the Eastern Spr or the Western Spr, and do you think the Cars only lane is quicker then the truck lane.

6. If the NJ turnpike has night construction on a sunday night and the southbound lanes come to standstill, I plan to get off the turnpike to Exit 7A and use I-195 west to I-295 north to I-95 south though Philadelphia insted, I plan to be on NJ turnpike at around 7-8pm, Is going through Philli at around 8pm a better idea then NJ turnpike over the Delawere Memorial Bridge at this time of week and day.  (If I chose to go through Philli should I take Exit 7A or Exit 9 and get on Rt-1 south)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: A00234826 on May 12, 2014, 06:25:36 PM
Your right but Delaweres overall tax policy is much cheapter and lower then any New England State (ps NH has no sales, nor imcome tax but has a high property tax).

From my personal experience: Delaware has a higher income tax than most.  But when you look at the money saved on sales taxes, you still come out ahead.  Property taxes tend to be lower as well, but at the same time they don't include things such as trash/recycling pickup, snow removal, etc.  Most developments have homeowner associations.  If you have or will have children: Of the states in the Northeast US, Delaware tends to have some of the worst performing schools, and have a very high rate of children that attend private schools.  So taxes are low, but money is spent elsewhere.  (Still not as high as NJ though, where I live!)

Quote from: A00234826 on May 13, 2014, 03:53:53 PM
5. on The NJ turnpike should I go on the Eastern Spr or the Western Spr, and do you think the Cars only lane is quicker then the truck lane.

This may depend more on if there's a football game or other activity at the Meadowlands, and if the former Xanadu project ever gets completed (I forget its new name).  The Turnpike tends to direct motorists from the GWB onto the Western Spur.  Listen to traffic updates and watch the variable message signs for any unusual activity. 

Because you're planning for a few years from now, the car/truck lanes will be completed down to below Exit 6.  At that time, we'll have a better idea which one is faster.  My personal opinion: On the weekends there's less truck traffic, so the truck lanes may be more open.  You will have the ability to legally flip between the lanes though at the Service Areas along the turnpike (exit into the service area, then take the ramp of the roadway you want getting back on the turnpike).  But, of course, incidents could arise anywhere along either roadway, which would be nearly half the length of the Turnpike.

Quote6. If the NJ turnpike has night construction on a sunday night and the southbound lanes come to standstill, I plan to get off the turnpike to Exit 7A and use I-195 west to I-295 north to I-95 south though Philadelphia insted, I plan to be on NJ turnpike at around 7-8pm, Is going through Philli at around 8pm a better idea then NJ turnpike over the Delawere Memorial Bridge at this time of week and day.  (If I chose to go through Philli should I take Exit 7A or Exit 9 and get on Rt-1 south)

As you get further south, you'll have a multitude of options.  Depending on your move, one option that may be available that isn't now is the PA Turnpike connection with I-95 (Exit 6 from the NJ Turnpike).

The option you stated is one of the longer ones, especially if you're exiting the NJ Turnpike from Exit 7A.  The preferred alternate route is I-295 in NJ, which runs parallel to the NJ Turnpike, and can easily be accessed via Exits 7A, 7, 5, 4 & 3.

Overall though, the NJ Turnpike tends to be good about not purposely congesting traffic when they know traffic volumes will be heavy.  The 'Pike is busy on weekends, and they won't schedule construction on a Sunday evening that takes out a travel lane (unless it's emergency construction).

The Delaware Memorial Bridge is almost always congestion free, unless it's a holiday weekend or if there's an issue on Delaware's I-95.  And if that's the case, it probably doesn't matter if you take the Jersey side or the Philly side of the highway, because you'll eventually hit the congestion in Delaware anyway.

Because your move is a few years away, there will be plenty of time to plan.  Traffic patterns, while they are predictible, can change a bit over time. 

The best you can do: Try a few various routes, and you'll find the one you like.  Besides, after you live down here, I don't think you'll want to drive to see your family every weekend - as much as you enjoy visiting them, the 6 or 7 hour drive from Newark to NH will get tiring.  Besides, they'll no doubt come down and see you some weekends too!

A00234826

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2014, 10:31:58 PM

Thanks

When Im driving from Delaware to NH my plan is to stay on I-95 most of the way from Delawere to Exit 2 for Rt-101 (with the exeption of NJ turnpike and I-93 through Boston)

I think going through and pay Hampton toll plaza and get on Rt-101 is faster then taking ether Exit 60 or Exit 1 in which Google maps recommend me.
also not only that
The toll roads Im going through on my way up are
NJ turnpike (from Exit 1 to Exit 18E)
George Washington Bridge $13
NY thruway New England section $2
then Hampton Toll plaza $.75

ON way home
Hampton toll plaza $.75
NJ turnpike (Exit 18E to Exit1)
Delaware Memorial Bridge $4

Did you know that there no tolls on I-95 between NY thruway and Hampton toll plaza for NB and From Hampton to NJ turnpike exit 18E for Southbound.

ps google also recomended that I take I-91 to I-84 to masspike to I-495 but Masspike has is a toll on mass pike as addition. so If I take instead I-95 from NY or I-287 (by taking I-93 through Boston or I-95 Rt-128 through Waltham)to Hampton toll plaza I wont hit anymore tolls untill NH exit 2. furthermore on my way home If I take I-95 from NH to NJ turnpike (by ether I-93 through Boston or Rt-128 through Waltham) after the Hampton toll plaza I wont hit anymore tolls on I-95 till NJ turnpike (becasue GW bridge is free heading south)

Im not sure how much is it on mass pike (from I-84 to I-290),or (From I-84 to I-95 Rt-128 is it more expensive then the $.75 Hampton toll plaza google maps wanted me to take instead.

ps unrealated from that Im avoiding I-495 at all cost becasue of the beach traffic in Amesbury (NB lanes can get backup as far as Haverhill on Saterday beach day)  and Im avoiding the Tappen Zee Bridge too becasue I think I might hit beach traffic on I-287 in White Planes.

Do you think Rt-128 or (I-93 in Boston) is better then I-495 in Massachussets

shadyjay

I would avoid I-95 on summer weekends in CT.  I've been stuck in stop-and-go traffic especially in eastern CT from the Connecticut River to New London (Exits 70-83), and to a slightly lesser extent, from Exits 54-68.  If traveling all the way to NH, I'd take I-84 or I-91 to I-84, to the Mass Pike, to either I-290->I-495, or direct to I-495.  Yes, the ramps from 91N to 84E and from Mass Pike to 495 do back up, but they're just ramps and their associated backup could be a mile at most... way better than a 10-20+ mile backup on I-95 along coastal CT.

Pete from Boston

You ignore a lot of advice for someone who asks for so much of it.

95 northbound out of New York is usually a nightmare on Sundays in the summer.  You will sit in traffic some to all of the way from the Deegan to Co-op City.  Whoever is coaching you that 287 is worse is a lousy friend.  At the very least, the Henry Hudson to the Cross County to the Hutch to 287 is a much saner way from the GW to Connecticut.  95 is very heavy through southeastern Connecticut at those times, though not as awful as it is in New York.

The Mass Pike toll is $1.75 from 84 to 128.  I have no idea why you think Google suggests the Hampton toll "instead."  I don't think you are paying attention. 

My suggestion to you is to take I-95 100% of the way down.  It is the longer, slower, and more expensive route, but it is the only route you want to take, and that's all that really matters.

Three years from now, you'll have to post here how your trip went.

A00234826

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 19, 2014, 09:07:49 PM
You ignore a lot of advice for someone who asks for so much of it.

95 northbound out of New York is usually a nightmare on Sundays in the summer.  You will sit in traffic some to all of the way from the Deegan to Co-op City.  Whoever is coaching you that 287 is worse is a lousy friend.  At the very least, the Henry Hudson to the Cross County to the Hutch to 287 is a much saner way from the GW to Connecticut.  95 is very heavy through southeastern Connecticut at those times, though not as awful as it is in New York.

The Mass Pike toll is $1.75 from 84 to 128.  I have no idea why you think Google suggests the Hampton toll "instead."  I don't think you are paying attention. 

My suggestion to you is to take I-95 100% of the way down.  It is the longer, slower, and more expensive route, but it is the only route you want to take, and that's all that really matters.

Three years from now, you'll have to post here how your trip went.

Correction,1st Google maps suggest me take Exit 1 Rt 107 instead of Exit 2 in which I object to because of the traffic on US-1 in Seabrook NH, Im taking Exit 2 beacsue its faster then US-1

2nd My revised route plan is to use I-95 NJ turnpike north to GW then get on I-87 north to Cross County parkway east to Hutison river parkway north to I-287 north to I-95 north to New Haven Ct to I-91 north to Hartford to I-84 north to I-90 (masspike) east (HOWEVER Im not taking I-495 because of the beach traffic in Amsbury aria) insted Im using I-90 mass pike to Rt-128 north (or to I-93 in Boston) to I-95 north to Exit 2 Hampton Toll plaza.

Also the only reason I plan to drive through RI on I-95 is that I plan to go through Boston on I-93 in which is shorter (then Rt-128)

Note (If I plan to drive through Boston (by I-90 masspike or I-93 southeast expressway) Im not taking the Toben Bridge instead Im taking I-93 north to Exit 37A to I-95 Rt-128 north

thanks for telling me about the mass pike toll its the same fair as the NY thruway in New Rochelle. If I used I-87 to Cross County Parkway to HRP I would save $1.75 and use it for the pike.
last of all, Im driving from DE-NH on Saterday at 5am (Returning home to De on Sunday Eve)

froggie

QuoteYou ignore a lot of advice for someone who asks for so much of it.

Not sure about his aversion to I-495 MA either.  A 395/290/495 route is 13 miles shorter than staying on 95 from East Lyme, CT to the NH line, 6 miles shorter than taking 93/1 thru Boston, and avoids both Providence and Boston traffic.

shadyjay

Quote from: A00234826 on May 19, 2014, 09:41:19 PM
2nd My revised route plan is to use I-95 NJ turnpike north to GW then get on I-87 north to Cross County parkway east to Hutison river parkway north to I-287 north to I-95 north to New Haven Ct to I-91 north to Hartford to I-84 north to I-90 (masspike) east (HOWEVER Im not taking I-495 because of the beach traffic in Amsbury aria) insted Im using I-90 mass pike to Rt-128 north (or to I-93 in Boston) to I-95 north to Exit 2 Hampton Toll plaza.

Also the only reason I plan to drive through RI on I-95 is that I plan to go through Boston on I-93 in which is shorter (then Rt-128)

Note (If I plan to drive through Boston (by I-90 masspike or I-93 southeast expressway) Im not taking the Toben Bridge instead Im taking I-93 north to Exit 37A to I-95 Rt-128 north

You're going to be getting a little lost if you're looking for signs on I-91 pointing you to I-84 NB.  It's I-84 EB, and you get there via Exit 29 which is actually CT 15 NB. 

Beach traffic in Amesbury?  It doesn't even border the ocean... Salisbury does, and you're going to pass right through there whether you're on I-95 or I-495.  Besides, at that point, if there's beach traffic, they're destined for the same place you're going... Hampton Beach NH, or Maine.

If you do decide to descend through Boston and hooking up with 93NB, I'd take the Tobin to get to 95.  There is no toll in the northbound direction (yet....).

Back when my family would take trips to NH or Maine from near the I-95/CT 9 jct, we'd head I-95 NB to I-395 NB to (I-290 or I-90EB) to I-495 NB to I-95 NB.  Only problems we'd run into was a little congestion on I-95 between CT 9 and I-395, and again on the ramp entering I-495 NB (both from I-290 and I-90, though the I-290->I-495 NB ramp delay is more of a geometrical condition vs a pre- or post-toll plaza merge.

shadyjay

Here's another suggestion:  have you thought of taking the train?  You'd avoid ALL traffic whatsoever and probably will be cheaper.  You can take Amtrak right up to Exeter NH (with a change of trains/stations in Boston) (Exeter is probably the closest stop to Hampton Beach.  Seeing as you're going to be doing this every weekend and you're going to visit family, seems like a good choice. 

A00234826

Quote from: shadyjay on May 20, 2014, 11:39:57 PM
Quote from: A00234826 on May 19, 2014, 09:41:19 PM

You're going to be getting a little lost if you're looking for signs on I-91 pointing you to I-84 NB.  It's I-84 EB, and you get there via Exit 29 which is actually CT 15 NB. 

Beach traffic in Amesbury?  It doesn't even border the ocean... Salisbury does, and you're going to pass right through there whether you're on I-95 or I-495.  Besides, at that point, if there's beach traffic, they're destined for the same place you're going... Hampton Beach NH, or Maine.

If you do decide to descend through Boston and hooking up with 93NB, I'd take the Tobin to get to 95.  There is no toll in the northbound direction (yet....).

Back when my family would take trips to NH or Maine from near the I-95/CT 9 jct, we'd head I-95 NB to I-395 NB to (I-290 or I-90EB) to I-495 NB to I-95 NB.  Only problems we'd run into was a little congestion on I-95 between CT 9 and I-395, and again on the ramp entering I-495 NB (both from I-290 and I-90, though the I-290->I-495 NB ramp delay is more of a geometrical condition vs a pre- or post-toll plaza merge.

Thank you for your suggestions

Right but I was preferring to the back up on I-495 towered the I-95 interchange in Salisbury in which is usually backuped to Amsesbury like Exit 54 Rt-150.  Also On I-495 north there uslay a heavey traffic volume usaly starting at around Lawerance and headed towereds Sailsbury on Sat am summers.  On the other hand I think there less beach traffic volume on I-95 Rt-128 between the Pike at least to Exit 45 (with a few execptions)and since I-95 has 4 lanes each instead of 3 on I-495, Do you think I-95 between Rt-128 and Sailsbury has the same traffic volume as I-495 in Merimack Vally.

The reason I don't plan to drive inland like in Worcester country is that it maby free from beach traffic but I would face traffic again with beach traffic volume on I-84,I-495 and on mass pike with folks heading towered NH-Maine from as far as Springfield, Upstate NY, Inland Connecticut and places out west.

I plan to take the coastal route of I-95 so I wont hit anymore inland towered Beach traffic from the inland routes like I-84 I-495.

As you may know technically I not TAKING I-95 the whole way from Delaware because I usually go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge in which is I-295 north then take the NJ Turnpike (unnumbered route from Exit 1-6) I-95 joins the turnpike from Exit 6 and then I continue on I-95 NJ turnpike to GW Bridge .(I-95 goes through Philadelphia, in which is a confusing route because the gap in Trenton)

In NY City if there stop and go traffic after the GW bridge I plan to take I-87 north to Cross County parkway East to Hutison River Parkway to I-287 east back to I-95 north through Ct. I most likely (unless there a major backup east of I-91) stay on I-95 north through Ct and RI and enter Massachusetts then I GET OFF at Exit 12 for I-93 north through Boston then get back on I-95 Rt-128 in at exit 37A Worburn and keep going to Exit 2 to Rt-101 to the Beach (ps the only reason I would like to avoid US-1 after the Tobin Bridge is that in Peabody theres a Jughandel traffic light interchange)

If there too much traffic on I-95 east of I-395 in New Londen aria I plan to take I-395 north but just to Exit 90 and take US-6 East to Woonstoket RI and get on i-295 north to I-95 in Attobaro MA (is I-395 US-6 to I-295 better then I-95 as a whole or shorter then I-395 I-290 i-495) I think its shorter to take I-395 north to US-6 east

PS, Im leaving Delaware on Saturday at 5am because (I know the beach traffic is WORSE on Friday eve, especially with rushhour time on I-95 in NY, and Massachusetts) and even tho I might hit beach traffic on I-95 in Conneticut It not as worse as on Friday eve (with rush hour traffic from NY city). also it takes 7 hours to get from DE to NH so If I leave at 5am I might be at NH at around 12-1pm, I would be in RI border at around 10-10.30am so I would miss most of the traffic in Ct.

hotdogPi

I-495 does not back up except in rush hour. I use exits 40-46 every day.

However, expect traffic exits 44-51 northbound around 5 pm. (It is unrelated to the beach.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PHLBOS

Granted, I'm a bit late to this, but as one who has made the trip from Delaware County PA to Sturbridge, MA and/or the North Shore (Marblehead, MA) nearly every major holiday weekend to visit family for the last 24 years (I will once again be doing such this coming weekend); I can give you some basic pointers (some of which have already been mentioned here, some not):

1.  Avoid going through NYC and hugging the Connecticut coastline at all costs! Since your destination is nowhere near NYC, the CT coast, the entire state of RI nor the MA coasts (North & South Shores), there's absolutely no need to blindly follow I-95 through those areas.  More on the recommended routing later.

2.  Once in NJ, check the traffic reports on FM 101.5 (WKXW aka NJ 101.5); which are given every 15 minutes (usually on the :03s, :18s, :33s & :48s) for any potential traffic tie-ups due to accidents, construction and/or rush-hour related issues.  NJ 101.5 usually pretty decent on giving info. regarding NJ.  Note: there have been times where I've had to deviate and use other roads to avoid a grid-locked Turnpike or GSP.

3.  Carry the following roadmaps with you (GoogleMaps & Mapquest printouts tend to be a bit small IMHO) and have such handy (on the passenger's seat if driving alone) should you need to pull over and seek an alternate route due to a jam-up.

a. New Jersey state map (either from NJDOT or AAA); both maps give fairly decent enlargements of both the Delaware Valley/metro Philly and the metro NYC areas so that one can see all highway interchanges for alternate route usage.

b. Metro NYC/Hudson Valley map (Rand McNally used to offer such); this map gives a more detailed views of southeastern NY & western CT.

c. Southern New England (CT-RI-MA) & Northern New England (NH-VT-ME) by either AAA or Rand McNally.

d. CT state map from ConnDOT gives some more detailed area for alternate routes in the Waterbury area.

4.  Pay attention to VMS'.  Such can provide traffic info. that the traffic reports may not have yet.  Travel time VMS' also can give one an idea how long it might take to travel through certain areas/regions.  Simple math rule applies here; 1 mile per minute = 60 mph.

5.  I would strongly recommend exiting off the NJTP (I-95) at either Exits 10 (I-287/NJ 440) or 11 (GSP) & follow to the NYS Thruway (I-87/287) and cross the Hudson via the Tappan Zee Bridge ($5 cash one-way toll south/eastbound).  From there, I would use I-287/Cross-Westchester Expressway to I-684. 

Follow I-684 North to I-84 East.  Depending on the time of day one enters CT,  I would do one of the following:

A. During rush-hours, take I-84 East to I-691 (Exit 27) and follow I-691 East to I-91 North.  Follow I-91 North to CT 15 North (Exit 29)*.  Follow CT 15 North until it merges w/I-84 East. 

* at times, when Exit 29 does back up (it's the single-lane ramp that backs up not the Charter Oak Bridge itself per say); VMS' will advise traffic to get off I-91 at CT 3 North (Exit 25) and follow to CT 2 West.  Follow CT 2 West to I-84 East (Exit 2E).

B.  During off-peak periods, simply stay on I-84 through CT.

Note: given the OP's comments, the below may fall on deaf ears but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Once in MA, follow I-84 East to I-90/Mass Pike East**.  Follow the Pike to the next exit (I-290/395/MA 12 - Exit 10) and get on I-290 East (Pike toll is 50 cents each-way). 

**  if the Pike is backed up (VMS' along I-84 will indicate such or backups can occur along I-84 itself), take Exit 3A off I-84 (US 20 East) and follow US 20 to MA 12.  Most of 20 is 4-lanes total with the exception of one stretch where it drops to 2 lanes for a short bit in Charlton.  Follow MA 12 North to I-290 East.

Follow I-290 East to I-495 North.  Follow I-495 North to I-95 North near the MA-NH line.

Note: should I-495 be crowded between Lowell & Lawrence, you may want to consider exiting off and following an alternate route (involving several MA routes including MA 110) and resume on 495 past the problem area.

As one who was born and grew up in the Greater Boston area; I can tell you from personal experience that any traffic issues along 495 (due to construction or an accident) is small potatoes compared to the traffic jams closer to the Hub along I-93 & 95 (MA 128) during peak times. 

MA 128 from the Pike and beyond the I-95 North split will likely be carrying Cape Ann-bound beach traffic as well.  Something to consider.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

A00234826

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2014, 02:10:57 PM
Granted, I'm a bit late to this, but as one who has made the trip from Delaware County PA to Sturbridge, MA and/or the North Shore (Marblehead, MA) nearly every major holiday weekend to visit family for the last 24 years (I will once again be doing such this coming weekend); I can give you some basic pointers (some of which have already been mentioned here, some not):

1.  Avoid going through NYC and hugging the Connecticut coastline at all costs! Since your destination is nowhere near NYC, the CT coast, the entire state of RI nor the MA coasts (North & South Shores), there's absolutely no need to blindly follow I-95 through those areas.  More on the recommended routing later.

2.  Once in NJ, check the traffic reports on FM 101.5 (WKXW aka NJ 101.5); which are given every 15 minutes (usually on the :03s, :18s, :33s & :48s) for any potential traffic tie-ups due to accidents, construction and/or rush-hour related issues.  NJ 101.5 usually pretty decent on giving info. regarding NJ.  Note: there have been times where I've had to deviate and use other roads to avoid a grid-locked Turnpike or GSP.

3.  Carry the following roadmaps with you (GoogleMaps & Mapquest printouts tend to be a bit small IMHO) and have such handy (on the passenger's seat if driving alone) should you need to pull over and seek an alternate route due to a jam-up.

a. New Jersey state map (either from NJDOT or AAA); both maps give fairly decent enlargements of both the Delaware Valley/metro Philly and the metro NYC areas so that one can see all highway interchanges for alternate route usage.

b. Metro NYC/Hudson Valley map (Rand McNally used to offer such); this map gives a more detailed views of southeastern NY & western CT.

c. Southern New England (CT-RI-MA) & Northern New England (NH-VT-ME) by either AAA or Rand McNally.

d. CT state map from ConnDOT gives some more detailed area for alternate routes in the Waterbury area.

4.  Pay attention to VMS'.  Such can provide traffic info. that the traffic reports may not have yet.  Travel time VMS' also can give one an idea how long it might take to travel through certain areas/regions.  Simple math rule applies here; 1 mile per minute = 60 mph.

5.  I would strongly recommend exiting off the NJTP (I-95) at either Exits 10 (I-287/NJ 440) or 11 (GSP) & follow to the NYS Thruway (I-87/287) and cross the Hudson via the Tappan Zee Bridge ($5 cash one-way toll south/eastbound).  From there, I would use I-287/Cross-Westchester Expressway to I-684. 

Follow I-684 North to I-84 East.  Depending on the time of day one enters CT,  I would do one of the following:

A. During rush-hours, take I-84 East to I-691 (Exit 27) and follow I-691 East to I-91 North.  Follow I-91 North to CT 15 North (Exit 29)*.  Follow CT 15 North until it merges w/I-84 East. 

* at times, when Exit 29 does back up (it's the single-lane ramp that backs up not the Charter Oak Bridge itself per say); VMS' will advise traffic to get off I-91 at CT 3 North (Exit 25) and follow to CT 2 West.  Follow CT 2 West to I-84 East (Exit 2E).

B.  During off-peak periods, simply stay on I-84 through CT.

Note: given the OP's comments, the below may fall on deaf ears but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Once in MA, follow I-84 East to I-90/Mass Pike East**.  Follow the Pike to the next exit (I-290/395/MA 12 - Exit 10) and get on I-290 East (Pike toll is 50 cents each-way). 

**  if the Pike is backed up (VMS' along I-84 will indicate such or backups can occur along I-84 itself), take Exit 3A off I-84 (US 20 East) and follow US 20 to MA 12.  Most of 20 is 4-lanes total with the exception of one stretch where it drops to 2 lanes for a short bit in Charlton.  Follow MA 12 North to I-290 East.

Follow I-290 East to I-495 North.  Follow I-495 North to I-95 North near the MA-NH line.

Note: should I-495 be crowded between Lowell & Lawrence, you may want to consider exiting off and following an alternate route (involving several MA routes including MA 110) and resume on 495 past the problem area.

As one who was born and grew up in the Greater Boston area; I can tell you from personal experience that any traffic issues along 495 (due to construction or an accident) is small potatoes compared to the traffic jams closer to the Hub along I-93 & 95 (MA 128) during peak times. 

MA 128 from the Pike and beyond the I-95 North split will likely be carrying Cape Ann-bound beach traffic as well.  Something to consider.
Thanks for the route on the way up just remember most weekends I'm leaving De on Saturday at 5am not Friday evenings. There only few times I plan to drive to Hampton for a long weekend like Indepedence Day weekend when I will leave Friday eve. If I leave Friday eve I will take  your advise and take I-95 north to Delawere Memorial Bridge to NJ turnpike north to Exit 11 get on Garden State parkway north to I-87 south over the Tapen Zee Bridge
(most likely I would hit Rush hour in NY city in which to me only effect on Garden State parkway in the urban arias in NJ (is it better to be on GSP during rushhour then I-95 over The GW bridge?)

anyhow I plan to return to Delawere on Sunday nights. I will leave Hampton Beach sunday at around 3-4pm on my return Journey I would like to drive through Boston and NY city (I'm worried about I-495 and I-84 during Sunday eves because of night construction).

so on my way home I would take Rt-101 west to Hampton toll plaza and get on I-95 south, (I DO NOT take I-495 south on my way home) I stay on I-95 south to Exit 37A then get on I-93 south through Boston (I would like to avoid the Toben Bridge)
after Boston I will continue on I-93 to Canton
After that I will continue down on I-95 south to NY City then go over the GW bridge (I plan to take the GW bridge becasue I would like to avoid I-287 during the night becasue of the construction and lane closers) then get on NJ turnpike south down to Delawere.

Questons I need to know.
1. (Queston On sunday evenings during summer is the Southeast Expressway or I-93 faster then Rt-128. I know the expressway is a mess on weekdays eves)
2. Where are the hot spots for beach traffic congestion heading home from the beach at 4-8pm on sunday I-95, and I-93 soutbound and other routes in New england

3. In NY city is I sometime plan to take I-278 west over Verzonato Bridge for a more secniec route, but is I-278  a better idea then I-95 Cross bronx over GW bridge on Sunday eve.

JMoses24

I second the advice about avoiding NYC and the GW Bridge at all costs. Just don't do it.

Speaking from experience, I'd also avoid 93 south of the Mass Pike. That was a cluster-foxtrot when I went through there a couple weeks ago at midday on a Friday, and if you hit the MA 3 interchange (Exit 7) at the wrong time, ESPECIALLY on a Sunday afternoon, you're hosed because 1) 93 goes down to two lanes and 2) MA Route 3 is basically THE major route to the Cape. I'd use MA 128/I-95 to I-90 W to I-84 W to I-87 S to I-287 south and east to I-95. I know you say you're avoiding I-495, but I'd consider taking it around to I-290 to 90 and follow the route as above before I'd deal with 93 again.

PHLBOS

Quote from: A00234826 on May 29, 2014, 10:34:16 PMThanks for the route on the way up just remember most weekends I'm leaving De on Saturday at 5am not Friday evenings.
Doesn't matter; I would still avoid going through NYC and hugging the intermittent coastlines.  Again, not to pull rank here but I do have 24 years of personal driving experience with the above.

Quote from: A00234826 on May 29, 2014, 10:34:16 PM(most likely I would hit Rush hour in NY city in which to me only effect on Garden State parkway in the urban arias in NJ (is it better to be on GSP during rushhour then I-95 over The GW bridge?)
Given the choice, using the GSP is the better option; and should you encounter a backup (or hear one on NJ 101.5), there are enough exits along the GSP to do an escape route to bypass such.  Again, have a map showing an enlargement of the area handy; you may have to refer to it.  I had to do such this past Friday when there was a backup well before I-78.  I got off at Exit 135 and snaked around and eventually picked up NJ 24 and rode that to I-287.

While you may not be in that area on Friday nights; backups due to either accidents or construction (long or short term projects) can still happen on the weekends.

Quote from: A00234826 on May 29, 2014, 10:34:16 PM
anyhow I plan to return to Delawere on Sunday nights. I will leave Hampton Beach sunday at around 3-4pm on my return Journey I would like to drive through Boston and NY city (I'm worried about I-495 and I-84 during Sunday eves because of night construction).
As I mentioned earlier, unless one's planning to do something in either Boston or NYC; it would be strongly advisable to avoid going through both cities. Growing up near the former, I know that one first-hand.  Again, as I stated earlier, there are alternate routes (not all of them are highways but still) available should there be a backup along I-495 or I-84 (the backups along I-84 are usually west of Hartford and one can avoid downtown Hartford by using CT 15 to I-91 to I-691).

Quote from: A00234826 on May 29, 2014, 10:34:16 PM(I plan to take the GW bridge becasue I would like to avoid I-287 during the night becasue of the construction and lane closers)
I just used I-287 this past weekend (from the Thruway to I-684) and encountered no construction zones along the mainline highway at all.  The overhaul work that took place during the last few years is essentially completed.

Questons I need to know.
1. (Queston On sunday evenings during summer is the Southeast Expressway or I-93 faster then Rt-128. I know the expressway is a mess on weekdays eves)
Since many of my return trips originate from the North Shore (Marblehead); I would use MA 128 & I-95 to get to the Pike (I-90) and avoid Boston & I-93 all together.  And again, should there be a backup along I-95/MA 128, there's enough exits to get off, use local roads and get back on in short order.  I had to exit off at Exit 39 due to southbound backup and follow a local road to eventually get to MA 129.  I took 129 to MA 62; followed 62 to US 3 and took US 3 South to resume along I-95 and the traffic was fine from thereon in. 

2. Where are the hot spots for beach traffic congestion heading home from the beach at 4-8pm on sunday I-95, and I-93 soutbound and other routes in New england
Actually, most of the return traffic from the beach areas is heading towards Boston not away from it.  If one's orginating from Boston, leaving the city from any direction shouldn't be too bad; but if one is outside of the I-95/MA 128 belt, one's better off avoiding the Hub altogether.

3. In NY city is I sometime plan to take I-278 west over Verzonato Bridge for a more secniec route, but is I-278  a better idea then I-95 Cross bronx over GW bridge on Sunday eve.
First of all, it's the Verrazano Bridge; second, 278 in NYC is the Bruncker and further down the BQE which is hardly a "scenic" route IMHO.  That said, it would be better (& cheaper) to use I-95 over I-278; however, and as mentioned before, it would be even better to avoid NYC altogether and take I-287 and the Tappan Zee.  On Sunday nights, traffic along I-287 & the GSP heading south to the NJTP isn't bad at all.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

I-278 in Staten Island, the Staten Island Expressway, has been the most reliable road on which to find traffic in my travels in recent months.  Avoid it if traffic is a concern to you.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.