Yield Signs instead of Stop Signs?

Started by Signal, July 07, 2015, 12:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

In Ajax, Ontario, I had noticed that this neighbourhood had yield signs as the norm instead of stop signs at t-intersections. I have also noticed that yield signs in general are very prevalent in this municipality, compared to everywhere else in North America.

However, it appears that some of them have been removed and replaced with a traditional stop sign. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it might have been someone on the street complaining.

I find it interesting that Ajax recognizes the frustration stop signs cause, as it states this on its website:

Big John

^^ The American MUTCD also says sto signs should not be used as a speed control device.

mrsman

Yes.  Although there is a difference in using the stop sign to make sure that traffic stops, vs. as a traffic control.

Unfortunately, in much of the US, you need a stop sign to actually get people to make a yield.  Stop signs are common at perpendicular intersections, whereas yields are more common for slip lanes and on-ramps.  Those are designed so that the driver is already pointed in the right direction and is just supposed to merge right in.

The worst abuses seems to be in places where the 4-way stop abounds.  If every intersection in your city is a four-way stop, you are not helping anybody.  It would be far better to have speed bumps and 2-way stops so that right of way is clear.  If people face a stop sign every 500 feet, they simply won't be respected.

The rolling stop is known as the CA stop because there are so many cities in CA where every single intersection is a 4-way stop.  Everyone rolls through the stop signs and this creates more problems.  Look at this neighborhood in Beverly Hills, surrounded by the major streets of Beverly, Olympic, Doheny, and Wilshire.  Every single intersection of local streets is a 4-way stop.  It is simply infuriating.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.062225,-118.3939108,3a,75y,262.3h,83.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7S4df06sQ2S0cYjflZdxgg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D7S4df06sQ2S0cYjflZdxgg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D84.23502%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

fwydriver405

I'm not sure if this is due to the passive railroad crossing (or even if the YIELD sign is even part of the crossing) but I drove by this intersection this weekend on US 1A in Prospect ME at Muskrat Farm Rd. Usually in Maine (or mostly anywhere else around the USA), passive crossings or a crossing with gates/lights at this type of (T) intersection usually have a STOP sign at the intersecting part. I initially found it strange at first, but the sightlines seem to be very far. Are there other examples like the Prospect example?

Jet380

Here in Western Australia, the roads authority seems to be on the warpath with stop signs. Stop signs have been removed and replaced with give way (yield) signs where they must not be considered to be warranted. I think we're not as stingy with stop signs as much of Europe is, but it's common to see 2-way give way signs at busy roads with four or more lanes like this or at intersections with high-speed rural highways like this.

1995hoo

This intersection in Fairfax, Virginia, had a yield sign where the stop sign is now for approximately 30 years. It was replaced because a resident two houses to the left as you face the intersection (the house opposite the one with the red Saab convertible in the driveway) complained that she felt a yield was unsafe due to kids playing in the street.  :rolleyes: Naturally, the stop sign is obeyed about as well as you might expect. Given that the street to both the right and left ends in cul-de-sacs, in some ways it would make more sense for those people to have the yield or stop, but I guess the idea is to slow the traffic coming down the hill behind the Google car's vantage point.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

Weirdly enough an intersection right by my house has a yield sign instead of a stop sign, despite the intersection having all around terrible sightlines (it's at the top of a hill and on a curve on all three approaches).

It always annoyed me that we have so many unnecessary stop signs around here, including one on a slip lane at a signalized intersection, and yet this one intersection where you really do need to actually stop gets a yield!

https://goo.gl/maps/ED6RrSadPdofkV9bA
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

tolbs17

tolbs17

That intersection looks risky as hell.

JoePCool14

Risky? The sightlines seem good enough to not necessarily warrant a full stop.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tolbs17

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 13, 2021, 02:35:12 PM
Look at all the other intersections. That highway is fairly busy.

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 03:07:29 PM

Are you referring to the Jack Branch Rd intersection you posted, or the one posted above by deathtopumpkins?

"Busy" isn't really the word I would use to describe the highway in the example you posted.

tolbs17

Quote from: jakeroot on April 13, 2021, 03:26:07 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 03:07:29 PM

Are you referring to the Jack Branch Rd intersection you posted, or the one posted above by deathtopumpkins?

"Busy" isn't really the word I would use to describe the highway in the example you posted.
The one I posted.

tolbs17

And there is more than just that one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.