News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Things To Get the Mods for Xmas, Female Roadgeek Census, and Other Miscellany

Started by vtk, December 20, 2013, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Grzrd on December 21, 2013, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2013, 07:43:19 PM
A visit from ethanman62187.

ethanman62187 must have esp.  He has not tweeted about a visit, but he did recently post a selfie.
He may be unblockable, but he sure isn't unbannable.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Laura

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2013, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 21, 2013, 09:29:06 AM
Quote from: Steve on December 20, 2013, 11:22:57 PM
b) To my knowledge, there are exactly two biological female road enthusiasts. There are at least 4 MTF road enthusiasts, for contrast.

I count at least 3 here.  One is married to another, one is in NY, and one is in downstate IL.  It's more than likely there are more.

I can only think of two off the top of my head. One in Maryland (I went to her wedding) and one in the STL area.

I am one of the women of which you speak! I am married to Mike Pruett of mdroads.com. My roadgeekiness initially formed independently from Mike, unless you count the fact that much of my knowledge came from his website long before I ever met him!

Quote from: sammi on December 20, 2013, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 20, 2013, 11:22:57 PM
Quote from: sammi on December 20, 2013, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 20, 2013, 09:52:25 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 20, 2013, 06:59:31 PM
Significant others, for the most part.
Honestly, I agree with Steve on that one.
We only have so many women on AARoads. :pan:
a) I did not say women, I said significant others. I will not presume sexuality.
b) To my knowledge, there are exactly two biological female road enthusiasts. There are at least 4 MTF road enthusiasts, for contrast.
c) I did not say the significant others even had to be road enthusiasts.
I didn't mean it like that... but this isn't exactly a serious thread.

It's too bad that most of my friends are already married or in committed relationships, or I'd try and set something up. I do have acquaintances and co-workers that might be good matches for the mods, but I have no idea how to arrange any of those meetings in a non-awkward way.

Alps

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 22, 2013, 10:53:41 AM
It's too bad that most of my friends are already married or in committed relationships, or I'd try and set something up. I do have acquaintances and co-workers that might be good matches for the mods, but I have no idea how to arrange any of those meetings in a non-awkward way.
"Hey, you're single right? I have some single friends who might be interested. What do you think?" Now, you're probably limited to single mods in a 50 mile radius with that strategy, of which I believe there are 0.

Takumi

My best advice when it comes to finding a significant other: don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. It's worked for me, at least.

So did losing 50 pounds, developing a new primary hobby, and growing a beard, but those all developed from that...

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Laura

Quote from: Steve on December 22, 2013, 01:47:10 PM
"Hey, you're single right? I have some single friends who might be interested. What do you think?" Now, you're probably limited to single mods in a 50 mile radius with that strategy, of which I believe there are 0.

Exactly. The distance is the buzzkill. Otherwise, I'd be able to find a way to make it work.

I actually can lay claim to having set up two relationships that led to marriage. For one of them, I invited my friend Jess to a party that my friend Josh was hosting. For the other one, I was supposed to go to a concert with my friend Megan, but when I couldn't make it, I encouraged her to invite her friend T.J. instead. Megan and T.J. sang the duet at our wedding.

Quote from: Takumi on December 22, 2013, 05:36:56 PM
My best advice when it comes to finding a significant other: don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. It's worked for me, at least.

So did losing 50 pounds, developing a new primary hobby, and growing a beard, but those all developed from that...

Yep.
1. Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
2. Meet potential significant others is through hobbies and things you like, whether through roadgeeking or another hobby.
3. if it's allowed and you're not worried about potential repercussions, you could always date coworkers. Or, wait until either one of you is at a different job and then date.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 22, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 22, 2013, 01:47:10 PM

Exactly. The distance is the buzzkill. Otherwise, I'd be able to find a way to make it work.

I actually can lay claim to having set up two relationships that led to marriage. For one of them, I invited my friend Jess to a party that my friend Josh was hosting. For the other one, I was supposed to go to a concert with my friend Megan, but when I couldn't make it, I encouraged her to invite her friend T.J. instead. Megan and T.J. sang the duet at our wedding.

Quote from: Takumi on December 22, 2013, 05:36:56 PM

Yep.
1. Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
2. Meet potential significant others is through hobbies and things you like, whether through roadgeeking or another hobby.
3. if it's allowed and you're not worried about potential repercussions, you could always date coworkers. Or, wait until either one of you is at a different job and then date.

I guess it does not help that I am currently trying to look for a job.  I guess that is more of a buzzkill for me for the moment than the distance itself because I am unsure of where I will end up.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 22, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
Bolded for emphasis, because that's probably a better choice. I had a coworker ask me out last year, but I turned her down because the consequences outweighed the benefits at the time. Had I known she was transferring a month or so later (she was also military and this was her second job) I may have reacted differently, but looking back it still wouldn't have worked.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Roadgeeks afraid of driving for a purpose? I must be on the wrong forum.

Okay, admittedly I never dated outside of the twenty-mile zone, but I've heard of longer-daily-distances.

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on December 22, 2013, 08:01:11 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 20, 2013, 06:56:40 PM
An inflatable blawp.

What features would the inflatable blawp have?

Target practice with a satisfying pop.

corco

Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2013, 01:10:36 PM

Okay, admittedly I never dated outside of the twenty-mile zone, but I've heard of longer-daily-distances.

I'm open to it- finding girls who are also open to it is where the challenge comes in

QuoteTarget practice with a satisfying pop.
Target practice with a satisfying blawp.

Takumi

:-D

I've done the long-distance thing before and am open to it again, especially because, in my experience, Virginia women tend to be a special kind of crazy. (All women are crazy, but there's "crazy" and there's "she becomes a sexual predator when she's off her meds". For some reason women from outside the Old Dominion seem to have less of a chance of being bat-feces insane. I'm sure I'm going to get in trouble for this entire section in parentheses, by the way.) My brother's girlfriend goes to school (VCU) in Richmond but otherwise lives in Maryland, and I know a few happy long-distance couples in the car community, so I know it can work. I think part of it is knowing the distance between you most of the time makes you cherish your time together more.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on December 23, 2013, 11:32:27 PM"she becomes a sexual predator when she's off her meds"

And if you're the prey, the problem is?????

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on December 23, 2013, 11:32:27 PM
.... (All women are crazy, but there's "crazy" and there's "she becomes a sexual predator when she's off her meds". For some reason women from outside the Old Dominion seem to have less of a chance of being bat-feces insane. I'm sure I'm going to get in trouble for this entire section in parentheses, by the way.) ....

(If the image doesn't display, go here: http://coachrandom.zzl.org/Chronological/comic-332.xml )
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 24, 2013, 01:14:59 AM
Quote from: Takumi on December 23, 2013, 11:32:27 PM"she becomes a sexual predator when she's off her meds"

Sir, I dare you to say that to my face, because I will slap you down to the ground.

For the record, Pennsylvania women are the batshit insane ones. Maybe it's a Commonwealth thing. (Massachusetts did nothing to recommend itself, either.)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

I can only think of two off the top of my head. One in Maryland (I went to her wedding) and one in the STL area.

There's a 3rd, who lives in KC but she already has a significant other.

Wait! I know a 4th in Little Rock, but she's on the periphery and has a steady fellow, already.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on December 24, 2013, 07:55:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 24, 2013, 01:14:59 AM

Sir, I dare you to say that to my face, because I will slap you down to the ground.

When I was single and not off the market, women were not as sexually aggressive as they seem to be today. Single guys today are in a better position to take advantage of how things have changed in the past 20 years than I was during the time period 1979 (when I graduated from high school) until 1994 (when I met the woman who became my wife).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

When I met my wife, I was in college about 35 miles away, but came home on weekends to work at a bowling center (which is where we met).

I recently attended a wedding of a couple which, for all but the final few months of their engagement, lived several hundred miles apart - Georgia and Delaware.

1995hoo

Quote from: US71 on December 25, 2013, 12:44:03 PM

Wait! I know a 4th in Little Rock, but she's on the periphery and has a steady fellow, already.

There's a female member of this forum from New York state who notes her sex in her autosignature.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sammi

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2013, 11:13:08 AM

There's a female member of this forum from New York state who notes her sex in her autosignature.

NYST?

US81

There are probably other women on the forum who avoid the mention of their own gender on-line, just because of rants like those above.

Brandon

Quote from: sammi on December 27, 2013, 11:17:52 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2013, 11:13:08 AM

NYST?

vdeane.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Takumi

Quote from: US81 on December 27, 2013, 11:59:38 AM
There are probably other women on the forum who avoid the mention of their own gender on-line, just because of rants like those above.
Are you one of them?

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.