News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates where at least one direction has a single lane

Started by STLmapboy, May 11, 2020, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctkatz

I 15 in montana not only is one lane in both directions before and after it's concurrency with I 90, but it also technically exits itself off.  same with I 90 east at the western I 94 terminus.

iirc I 80 west at the I 76 terminus goes down to a lane.  I know for sure that I 80 east is one lane when it merges with I 76 traffic.

sandwalk

Quote from: zzcarp on May 13, 2020, 04:46:32 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 12, 2020, 12:45:56 AM
I-80 WB is briefly one lane on the approach to leave for the Ohio Turnpike (it becomes 2 lanes on the ramp)

I-76 is also one lane in each direction when it TOTSOs to/from the Ohio Turnpike at this interchange.

I-76 is one lane westbound at the west split with I-77 in Akron and one lane eastbound at its split with I-277.

Unrelated, but I-80 EB at the terminus of the western I-76 drops to one lane at the exit to WB ("South" per Nebraska) I-76. It's two lanes heading westbound.

Another instance is where I-90 leaves/joins I-80 and Route 2 near Elyria, Ohio.  All ramps are one lane, with a brief two-lane section of highway in between.

https://goo.gl/maps/EDdYw1xGbePhG3k97

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 11, 2020, 11:41:30 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 11, 2020, 06:19:57 PM
I-76 EB in Philly, going from the Schuykill Expressway to the Walt Whitman Expressway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QNYMe8QRVW79PSTT6

It's just for a moment, and even the sign isn't correct here. You're already on I-76 East, so you're not going "To" I-76 East.
I've always wondered if there was more significance to that "TO" than just a sign error, such as the Walt Whitman approach freeway on the PA side (DRPA owned?) not being formally I-76 or something like that....similar to that I-90 / Chicago Skyway thing.
Truth be told, and I chimed in on this on the thread that featured those replacement signs being erected, that TO 76 reference likely dates back to when this stretch of highway was I-676 prior to 1973-74.  Such met I-76 at the NJ side of the Walt Whitman Bridge at the I-76/676 junction.

The legends on the current signs 100% match those of the previous 1980s-vintage signs.  I'd be curious to see what the much older predecessor signs, assuming such predated the I-76/676 switch, looked like it terms of legends & any alterations.

Such wouldn't be the only location where generations of replacement signs still display old and/or incorrect information.

At least three generations of this particular sign still showed the wrong/obsolete route number for the Revere Beach Parkway in Revere, MA.  The route number changed from MA 1A to MA 16 circa 1971.   

The GSV for this area was updated a few years after the prior one showing a new sign no showing a US 1 shield en lieu of a MA 1A shield.  Such is still incorrect; although a simple TO could be applied to the left of that US 1 shield to make such more correct.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadrunner75

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 19, 2020, 05:31:01 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 11, 2020, 11:41:30 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 11, 2020, 06:19:57 PM
I-76 EB in Philly, going from the Schuykill Expressway to the Walt Whitman Expressway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QNYMe8QRVW79PSTT6

It's just for a moment, and even the sign isn't correct here. You're already on I-76 East, so you're not going "To" I-76 East.
I've always wondered if there was more significance to that "TO" than just a sign error, such as the Walt Whitman approach freeway on the PA side (DRPA owned?) not being formally I-76 or something like that....similar to that I-90 / Chicago Skyway thing.
Truth be told, and I chimed in on this on the thread that featured those replacement signs being erected, that TO 76 reference likely dates back to when this stretch of highway was I-676 prior to 1973-74.  Such met I-76 at the NJ side of the Walt Whitman Bridge at the I-76/676 junction.

The legends on the current signs 100% match those of the previous 1980s-vintage signs.  I'd be curious to see what the much older predecessor signs, assuming such predated the I-76/676 switch, looked like it terms of legends & any alterations.

That's an interesting take, and I forgot about that switch.  Maybe a shortcut of just shifting the "TO" from "676 TO 76" over to the left and it encompassed both for a time - "TO 676 76" (and was still technically accurate), and eventually of course 676 got swapped out for 95 which was finishing up on construction at the time.

michravera

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on May 11, 2020, 07:09:27 PM
   Interstate 705 Northbound in downtown Tacoma briefly has only a single through lane before an additional lane returns after the on ramp from SR 509. The lanes to the left exit into the City Center.

Link: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.2439608,-122.4347014,3a,75y,348.51h,96.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHNMDAuHVhL_TNjiHLk0qXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I-5 near the I-580 interchange BRIEFLY has only one lane in each direction (until the merge is complete).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I-90, in both directions, goes to one lane between Oh 2 & the Ohio Turnpike plaza (exit 142), between Lorain & Elyria.
WB - https://goo.gl/maps/1Sy3gZUiTnZzKBnX7
EB - https://goo.gl/maps/4QSAar7EdPxxbgZ28
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

webny99

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 20, 2020, 08:03:44 PM
I-90, in both directions, goes to one lane between Oh 2 & the Ohio Turnpike plaza (exit 142), between Lorain & Elyria.

I remember being shocked by that the first time I drove through that area. I would have thought those ramps would be plenty busy enough to be 2 lanes each, given that they carry mainline I-90. You have to think that traffic would heavily favor the I-90 movement at that interchange if it wasn't for I-480.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2020, 08:08:04 PM

I remember being shocked by that the first time I drove through that area. I would have thought those ramps would be plenty busy enough to be 2 lanes each, given that they carry mainline I-90. You have to think that traffic would heavily favor the I-90 movement at that interchange if it wasn't for I-480.

I do feel sorry for the 1048 eastbound drivers that apparently vanish into thin air each day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dvferyance

I-70 EB Kansas City I almost learned the hard way how much you have to slow down for that curve.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2020, 11:22:14 AM

[img snipped]

I do feel sorry for the 1048 eastbound drivers that apparently vanish into thin air each day.

Probably the result of the counts being taken on different days, made obvious only because it's a partial interchange.

Seriously, though, it's not necessarily surprising that those ramps carry such low volumes, because of I-480. The more surprising thing is that I-90, the longest interstate in the country and the main E/W 2di powerhouse through the Cleveland area, is reduced, disgraced, and humiliated to the point of being designated on those ramps.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

That explains Ohio's population loss over the last 40+ years.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cwf1701

I-75 at I-640 in Knoxville TN. I-75 exit the freeway for a Multiplex with I-640 to I-40. It is a single lane thru the ramp in both direction.

Super Mateo

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 12, 2020, 02:01:54 AM
I-80, when it jumps between the Indiana Toll Road and Borman Expressway in NW Indiana

Then I-80 again, as well as I-74, at their "bump"  in the Quad Cities, IL area

I-72 at the NE Split with I-55 in Springfield, IL

I-74 at its Trumpet Interchange at the NW Split with I-55 in Bloomington/Normal, IL

I-39 at the US 20 Freeway south of Rockford, IL

I think that covers the IL examples. and also I-80 in NW Indiana for good measure...also is the only point in Hoosierland where I-80 isn't multiplexed with either I-90 or I-94

Not only does I-74 have that "bump" with I-80, but I-74 uses one lane ramps again in both directions in Moline where it joins US 6 to go north into Iowa.

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 12, 2020, 02:01:54 AM
I-80, when it jumps between the Indiana Toll Road and Borman Expressway in NW Indiana

Then I-80 again, as well as I-74, at their "bump"  in the Quad Cities, IL area

I-72 at the NE Split with I-55 in Springfield, IL

I-74 at its Trumpet Interchange at the NW Split with I-55 in Bloomington/Normal, IL

I-39 at the US 20 Freeway south of Rockford, IL

I think that covers the IL examples. and also I-80 in NW Indiana for good measure...also is the only point in Hoosierland where I-80 isn't multiplexed with either I-90 or I-94

I-94 has a single lane eastbound when merging onto the Edens Expressway from the Edens Spur: https://goo.gl/maps/TyUER3fqjAi9Qxqh9 Really fucks up rush hour traffic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

milbfan

I-40 West in Tennessee, at I-81 terminus:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.065987,-83.3817675,3a,75y,317.74h,89.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIhyYlOhjwE9dDitWEgyq0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I think they've changed this configuration at least 2-3 times in the last ten years.  I hope it actually stays this way.

sprjus4

Quote from: milbfan on May 24, 2020, 01:01:15 AM
I-40 West in Tennessee, at I-81 terminus:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.065987,-83.3817675,3a,75y,317.74h,89.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIhyYlOhjwE9dDitWEgyq0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I think they've changed this configuration at least 2-3 times in the last ten years.  I hope it actually stays this way.
Used to be 2 lanes coming from both I-81 and I-40, then I-81 had a lane drop once merging.

Now it's 1 lane from I-40, 2 from I-81, and it continues as 3 lanes westbound.

I suppose while it reduces capacity for that ramp, traffic is lower coming from I-40 West compared to I-81 South, so it gives better flow for I-81 traffic merging in.

I couldn't imagine I-40 still being 4 lanes from Knoxville to I-81. When was it expanded to 6 lanes? IMO, they need to expand I-81 between I-40 and the Virginia state line to 6 lanes as well. It seems the majority of the traffic on I-40 East stays on I-81 North as opposed to turning east.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 24, 2020, 02:06:32 AM
It seems the majority of the traffic on I-40 East stays on I-81 North as opposed to turning east.

Makes sense to me. I-40 only goes to the Carolinas, while I-81 has tons of long-haul traffic as the main connection between much of the extended South and the Northeast. Basically every Southern state besides those on the Atlantic coast would use I-81 to get anywhere in the Northeast.

sprjus4

In Kentucky, I-69 at the eastern junction with I-24 reduces to one lane both north and southbound.

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 24, 2020, 02:33:29 PM
In Kentucky, I-69 at the eastern junction with I-24 reduces to one lane both north and southbound.

That's left over from when it was just the WK Parkway, although some work has been done on the southbound I-69 ramp to westbound I-24. It's doubtful that the amount of traffic has increased on those ramps since the WK Parkway became an interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sbeaver44

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2020, 03:18:52 PM

[img snipped]

Probably the result of the counts being taken on different days, made obvious only because it's a partial interchange.

Seriously, though, it's not necessarily surprising that those ramps carry such low volumes, because of I-480. The more surprising thing is that I-90, the longest interstate in the country and the main E/W 2di powerhouse through the Cleveland area, is reduced, disgraced, and humiliated to the point of being designated on those ramps.
The Ohio Turnpike was fully completed by 1956 according to Wiki.  Also, Ohio 2's freeway Elyria to Port Clinton was upgraded in stages from 1967-1990.

What was the purpose of building a parallel non-tolled freeway? And were there longer plans to Toledo?  I guess I'm asking, was I-90 ever supposed to be on something other than the Turnpike?   Would that explain the single lane ramp?

I personally like OH 2 between Elyria and I-280, and while I appreciate the Ohio Turnpike's design, the best service plazas IMO, and relatively reasonable tolls (I live in PA!), I usually take OH 2 when going West.

webny99

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 25, 2020, 07:04:04 PM
I personally like OH 2 between Elyria and I-280, and while I appreciate the Ohio Turnpike's design, the best service plazas IMO, and relatively reasonable tolls (I live in PA!), I usually take OH 2 when going West.

Can't say because I've never taken OH 2, but the two-lane portions look like they would be a slog in travel season.

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2020, 05:49:59 PM
It's doubtful that the amount of traffic has increased on those ramps since the WK Parkway became an interstate.
Any increase of traffic won't likely come until I-69 is fully complete between Indianapolis and Memphis. Until then, I-70, I-57, and I-55 provide a faster, all interstate route.

zzcarp

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2020, 10:07:32 PM

Can't say because I've never taken OH 2, but the two-lane portions look like they would be a slog in travel season.

The Turnpike carries interregional traffic and is the only east-west interstate for traffic from Chicago to Cleveland and New York. Before its expansion to 3 lanes in the 90's and 00's it was scary to drive on when I was first learning to drive - heavy truck traffic, etc. Also, until the 90's, there were fewer exits than exist today. From the full movement interchange at OH 57, the next full exit was US 250 north of Milan (about 26 miles away), and then OH 53 in Fremont (another 26 miles). I grew up in Wakeman, and we had a 20 mile drive either east or west to connect to the Turnpike. It just was not built for local traffic.

Ohio 2 carries a lot of local traffic from Cleveland west through the Lorain County suburbs to the Lake Erie communities like Vermilion, Huron, and Sandusky (home of Cedar Point, the amusement park). It has the only bridge over Sandusky Bay (the next crossing is at Fremont which has to be used when the bridge is closed to fog). It connects to Port Clinton and Marblehead and to the ferries to South Bass Island and Kelley's Island. The last stretch of the freeway, the bypass around Huron, was completed in 1990 and had right of way reserved since 1970 but was delayed due to environmental concerns at Old Woman Creek. Before that completion, it was common for summer traffic to be backed up through the traffic lights in Huron heading to Cedar Point.

Regarding the two-lane portion west of Port Clinton and east of Toledo, that area in the former swamp is not vacationland. It's mostly farmland and sparsely populated until you get closer to Oregon. While it's a good connector to I-280 North and carries some commercial truck traffic, there's just not the traffic volumes to complete the freeway to Toledo. And, AFAIK, there never were plans to extend the freeway from its current terminus.
So many miles and so many roads

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: zzcarp on May 26, 2020, 01:34:57 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2020, 10:07:32 PM

The Turnpike carries interregional traffic and is the only east-west interstate for traffic from Chicago to Cleveland and New York. Before its expansion to 3 lanes in the 90's and 00's it was scary to drive on when I was first learning to drive - heavy truck traffic, etc. Also, until the 90's, there were fewer exits than exist today. From the full movement interchange at OH 57, the next full exit was US 250 north of Milan (about 26 miles away), and then OH 53 in Fremont (another 26 miles). I grew up in Wakeman, and we had a 20 mile drive either east or west to connect to the Turnpike. It just was not built for local traffic.

Ohio 2 carries a lot of local traffic from Cleveland west through the Lorain County suburbs to the Lake Erie communities like Vermilion, Huron, and Sandusky (home of Cedar Point, the amusement park). It has the only bridge over Sandusky Bay (the next crossing is at Fremont which has to be used when the bridge is closed to fog). It connects to Port Clinton and Marblehead and to the ferries to South Bass Island and Kelley's Island. The last stretch of the freeway, the bypass around Huron, was completed in 1990 and had right of way reserved since 1970 but was delayed due to environmental concerns at Old Woman Creek. Before that completion, it was common for summer traffic to be backed up through the traffic lights in Huron heading to Cedar Point.

Regarding the two-lane portion west of Port Clinton and east of Toledo, that area in the former swamp is not vacationland. It's mostly farmland and sparsely populated until you get closer to Oregon. While it's a good connector to I-280 North and carries some commercial truck traffic, there's just not the traffic volumes to complete the freeway to Toledo. And, AFAIK, there never were plans to extend the freeway from its current terminus.
The OTIC would also likely throw a fit if the OH 2 freeway was extended.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

I guess OH 2 serves a purpose similar to I-295 in NJ as a local alternate to the toll road. I didn't realize it was so rural between Port Clinton and Toledo. An argument could be made for extending the freeway, but it would mostly be a shunpiking-based argument because there's not much long-distance traffic and even if there was an extended freeway, the Turnpike would still be shorter and faster for most trips.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.