News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ICC Intercounty Connector

Started by Alex, August 27, 2009, 12:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOneKEA

From http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=PG4195116

Severe winter weather has wreaked havoc on the project over the past few months.

The project currently stands at 89% complete with an estimated completion date of summer 2014 (subject to change and weather permitting).

I'm not surprised at all. There has been almost no work whatsoever on Contract D/E or on Contee Road and I wouldn't be surprised if final completion was pushed all the way back to July or even August.

BrianP

NEW VIRGINIA MANOR / CONTEE ROAD CONNECTION OPENS TO OLD GUNPOWDER ROAD THIS WEEKEND
http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=1854

cpzilliacus

Quote from: BrianP on April 04, 2014, 01:20:47 PM
NEW VIRGINIA MANOR / CONTEE ROAD CONNECTION OPENS TO OLD GUNPOWDER ROAD THIS WEEKEND
http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=1854

The contractors were out in force this morning, working on the northbound C-D lanes approaching and under the new Contee Road overpass (f/k/a Van Dusen Road).

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun: ICC extension to Route 1 delayed by harsh winter

QuoteThis winter's harsh weather has claimed another victim: the planned spring completion of the latest stretch of the Intercounty Connector.

QuoteThe $90 million extension of the tolled highway from its current ending point at Interstate 95 east to Route 1 had been scheduled to be completed this spring, but that is now being re-evaluated, the State Highway Administration said Thursday.

Quote"Following this record historic winter all major projects that were under way last fall, including the ICC, were not able to gain much if any momentum due to the repeated and non-stop snow events," said SHA spokesman David Buck in a statement. "Since work was just able to resume in the past few weeks with milder temperatures, we are currently assessing the schedule."

QuoteThe ICC, as the highway is known, opened in 2011 from I-95 in the east, in the vicinity of South Laurel in Prince George's County, to Interstate 270 in the west, in the North Potomac area of Montgomery County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

STATE HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION PERFORMS TRAFFIC SWITCH ON US 1 IN LAUREL
http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=1865

The work on US 1 for the ICC's east end is starting.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: BrianP on April 15, 2014, 10:33:17 AM
STATE HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION PERFORMS TRAFFIC SWITCH ON US 1 IN LAUREL
http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=1865

The work on US 1 for the ICC's east end is starting.

There has been clearing and grading and the like going on there since last year, but the travel lanes of U.S. 1 have remained untouched so far. 

Sounds like that is about to change.

I still would have preferred that SHA end the ICC in a trumpet interchange instead of this at-grade signalized intersection, though I realize it would have been expensive, given the CSX railroad tracks (and MARC railroad station) adjacent to U.S. 1.

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun: SHA, Laurel business owners take steps toward I-95 signage solution

QuoteAfter several months of back-and-forth, State Highway Administration officials on Monday reached a tentative consensus with Sen. Jim Rosapepe and a handful of business owners regarding future signage along a northbound I-95 exit to Laurel.

QuoteIn November, local business owners learned that service-specific signs informing motorists of dining, lodging and restaurant options at exits 33A and 33B, toward Route 198, would be removed along northbound I-95 as part of the final phases of Intercounty Connector construction.

QuoteCurrently, logoed signs for restaurants such as Seibel's, McDonald's, IHOP and Pollo Campero, as well for specific gas stations and hotels, let motorists know exactly what they can expect to find if they decide to stop in Laurel or Burtonsville.

cpzilliacus

Gazette.Net: Construction of final phase of ICC delayed until summer - Extension to U.S. Route 1 pushed back due to harsh winter weather

QuoteCompletion of the Intercounty Connector highway from Interstate 95 to Laurel has been delayed until summer due to harsh weather this winter that hindered construction.

QuoteThe delay pushes back the expected spring opening of the toll highway extension, which would add 2.4 miles of north and south roads running parallel to Interstate 95 to ease traffic. The construction will also extend the highway to U.S. Route 1, said Valerie Edgar, State Highway Administration spokeswoman.

QuoteThe ICC is a $2.4 billion project that connects Montgomery and Prince George's counties with a toll road stretching from Interstate 370 to Interstate 95, Edgar said. Construction on the road began in 2007 with three separate projects completed by November 2011, according to the project's construction documents.

lepidopteran

A portable VMS reading "New Traffic Pattern" has appeared on the I-95 NB off-ramp to the ICC.  I also noticed what appeared to be some of those huge plastic containers of sand being placed in the gore area between that ramp and the ramp leading to the closed ICC EB section leading east.

Are they getting ready to open the section leading to US-1?  As long as they're done striping the new turn lanes on US-1, there's really no reason they can't open that section going east.  However, the C/D road on the NB side of I-95, while mostly complete, still has work ahead of it.  Therefore, if they were to open the WB lanes as well, there would need to be a sign with a caveat near the US-1 entrance: "No access to I-95 north" or something like that until the NB C/D lanes are open.  The SB C/D ramps still have a ways to go yet, especially one short stretch that looks to be a steep grade which has yet to be graded.

Note: if you zoom in on the Contee Rd. interchange on Google Maps closely enough, there are two erroneous ramps dotted on the north side of the overpass.  The actual ramps, at least on the NB side, have already been paved but not striped (as of yesterday), and a new traffic signal sits under wraps where both of the folded-diamond ramps meet Contee Rd.

cpzilliacus

I do not believe the road is ready for opening to U.S. 1, because the at-grade intersection has a lot of work to be done.  But it is possible that they are planning to open it to an interim eastern terminus at Virginia Manor Road (with permission, I have been on the section between I-95 and Virginia Manor, and it is essentially ready to go - the toll gantries have been up since last year).

BrianP

This says that work at US 1 will extend until the fall season:
http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=1940

I doubt they would do a temporary end since continuing on the ICC past I-95 is probably signed for US 1.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: BrianP on July 02, 2014, 10:40:11 AM

Makes sense.  They lost nearly the entire winter season, well in to March 2014.

I doubt they would do a temporary end since continuing on the ICC past I-95 is probably signed for US 1.

Agreed.

Though curiously, the MdTA has had contractors out milling the eastbound side  of Md. 200 approaching I-95 for reasons not clear to me (maybe the original blacktop was defective?).

I have also seen a lot of pavement milling on the C-D roadway from I-95 northbound to the cloverleaf ramp to westbound Md. 200. 

TheOneKEA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 02, 2014, 12:10:45 PM

Makes sense.  They lost nearly the entire winter season, well in to March 2014.

Agreed.

Though curiously, the MdTA has had contractors out milling the eastbound side  of Md. 200 approaching I-95 for reasons not clear to me (maybe the original blacktop was defective?).

I have also seen a lot of pavement milling on the C-D roadway from I-95 northbound to the cloverleaf ramp to westbound Md. 200.

I was heading eastbound on the ICC last weekend and the MdTA has milled the left and center lanes of the eastbound carriage way from the Gunpowder Road bridge up to the gore point of the two-lane off-ramp to I-95. It looks like they are going to replace it with a new topcoat and new lane markings for through mainline traffic towards US 1, in lieu of skimming off the existing lane markings and painting on new ones.

Also, the C-D ramps to and from Contee Road now appear to have their base layers of asphalt in place, and the northbound C-D ramp's base layer also appears to be finished. I doubt that these lanes will open to traffic until September, based on their current state.

TheOneKEA

There is a portable VMS on the eastbound Little Paint Branch Bridge, at the PG County Line, stating that the ramp to MD 198 will open on or about July 27th.

1995hoo

Quote from: TheOneKEA on July 20, 2014, 03:01:09 PM
There is a portable VMS on the eastbound Little Paint Branch Bridge, at the PG County Line, stating that the ramp to MD 198 will open on or about July 27th.

I saw those signs this afternoon and was trying to visualize where this ramp is going to be. Anyone able to clarify for me? I looked at a map but couldn't really picture what they're connecting.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

I think traffic will be able to cross I-95 on the (so far) closed eastbound lanes of Md. 200, exiting at the ramp marked Exit 19C, then using the (so far not complete) C-D lanes to reach Md. 198 eastbound. 

The interchange at Contee Road (former Van Dusen Road) is not ready yet, nor is the C-D lane done between the exits for 198 east and 198 west.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 20, 2014, 05:47:54 PM

I think traffic will be able to cross I-95 on the (so far) closed eastbound lanes of Md. 200, exiting at the ramp marked Exit 19C, then using the (so far not complete) C-D lanes to reach Md. 198 eastbound. 

The interchange at Contee Road (former Van Dusen Road) is not ready yet, nor is the C-D lane done between the exits for 198 east and 198 west.

I agree with your supposition. I drove through the worksite on I-95 north and the original pavement at the loop ramp for current Exit 31 is currently being milled and repaved with new lane markings applied. The northbound C-D carriage way now has lane markings all the way past Contee Road, up to the first of the two gaps in the Jersey barrier between the mainline and the C-D lanes, where Exit 33A is currently located.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 20, 2014, 05:47:54 PM

In a sense, then, it's conceptually similar to southbound I-95 at the Beltway, where thru traffic uses a flyover and traffic bound for Route 1 uses the old loop-around ramp that predates the flyover, but you could pretty much use either ramp if you want to remain on the Interstate (or even loop past the Park and Ride and use what would have been the ramp for traffic coming north from DC, had the road been finished). In this case, eastbound ICC traffic heading for I-95 uses the existing flyover and traffic heading for Route 198 uses the ramp to the C/D road (and so could access I-95 that way if they wanted for whatever reason)?

I had pictured some kind of more direct ramp to 198 when I saw the signs yesterday, but a map showed that was impossible. Thanks for the clarification. I don't drive through there all that often and so don't know the local roads all that well.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2014, 12:10:00 PM
In a sense, then, it's conceptually similar to southbound I-95 at the Beltway, where thru traffic uses a flyover and traffic bound for Route 1 uses the old loop-around ramp that predates the flyover, but you could pretty much use either ramp if you want to remain on the Interstate (or even loop past the Park and Ride and use what would have been the ramp for traffic coming north from DC, had the road been finished). In this case, eastbound ICC traffic heading for I-95 uses the existing flyover and traffic heading for Route 198 uses the ramp to the C/D road (and so could access I-95 that way if they wanted for whatever reason)?

I had pictured some kind of more direct ramp to 198 when I saw the signs yesterday, but a map showed that was impossible. Thanks for the clarification. I don't drive through there all that often and so don't know the local roads all that well.

Your analogy is correct.

What's not clear to me is if I-95 northbound traffic wanting to exit to Md. 198 (Exit 33) will be forced to use the C-D lanes (which are currently only for traffic wanting to use Md. 200 west (Exit 31)), at the same point as Exit 31. 

In other words, will there be a slipramp between the mainline lanes of I-95 and the C-D lanes at a point north of Md. 200?  It seems the answer to that is no, but I have not seen the plans for ICC Contracts D/E, so I don't absolutely know. 

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2014, 11:35:07 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2014, 12:10:00 PM

Your analogy is correct.

What's not clear to me is if I-95 northbound traffic wanting to exit to Md. 198 (Exit 33) will be forced to use the C-D lanes (which are currently only for traffic wanting to use Md. 200 west (Exit 31)), at the same point as Exit 31. 

In other words, will there be a slipramp between the mainline lanes of I-95 and the C-D lanes at a point north of Md. 200?  It seems the answer to that is no, but I have not seen the plans for ICC Contracts D/E, so I don't absolutely know. 

In the unlikely event I have time next week I might go check out what they open, but I highly doubt I'll have the chance.

cpzilliacus

Maryland DOT/SHA press release: STATE HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION OPENS NEW COLLECTOR/ DISTRIBUTOR LANES ON NORTHBOUND I-95

Quote(July 24, 2014) - On Saturday night, July 26, the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) will close the two right lanes on northbound I-95 from MD 212 (Powder Mill Road) to MD 198 (Sandy Spring Road) to prepare for opening new northbound collector/distributor (CD) lanes. Motorists on northbound I-95 will not have access to MD 198 during the double-lane closure and will be detoured to the MD 216 interchange. Traffic along MD 198 will not be affected and and motorists will have full access to I-95. This work is part of the construction of the final section of the Intercounty Connector (ICC) between I-95 and US 1 scheduled to open this fall.

QuoteBeginning at 9 p.m. on July 26, crews will close the two right lanes on northbound I-95 from MD 212 to just north of MD 198. The lane closures are necessary to move concrete barrier, complete paving and tie-in work, and install, uncover and modify sign structures. All through lanes on I-95 and the new northbound C/D lanes will be open by 9 a.m. on Sunday morning. If work is postponed due to weather, it will take place Saturday, August 2 into Sunday morning August 3.

QuoteOnce the northbound CD lanes are open to traffic, motorists wanting to access MD 198, the ICC or the future Contee Road interchange must use the new C/D lanes, which are separated from and run parallel to the through travel lanes on I-95.  The exits for MD 198 (Exits 33A and 33B) off of northbound I-95 will be permanently relocated approximately two miles prior to the existing location.

1995hoo

Heh. You want to get some good video, station yourself out there Monday during the afternoon rush hour.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2014, 03:42:59 PM
Heh. You want to get some good video, station yourself out there Monday during the afternoon rush hour.

It's going to be fun, especially the WAY "early" exit for Exit 33, Md. 198 - I did send this over to Bob Marbourg so he will be able to alert his listeners.

mtantillo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 24, 2014, 06:16:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2014, 03:42:59 PM

It's going to be fun, especially the WAY "early" exit for Exit 33, Md. 198 - I did send this over to Bob Marbourg so he will be able to alert his listeners.

"But my GPS told me to drive into that wall!!"

TheOneKEA

I will be very interested to see how the through traffic traveling past the MD 198 interchange will be affected by the opening of the northbound C-D carriageway once the initial disruption settles down. I would expect at least a few drivers to try to bypass any backups by escaping onto the C-D lanes and then trying to merge back to I-95 north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.