News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 04, 2021, 01:15:15 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on August 04, 2021, 10:59:10 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 24, 2021, 12:22:25 AM
Looks like Google Maps have I-69 labels on IN 37 between Martinsville and I-465 now even though it's incomplete  :-D
[img snipped]
Google has been really bad at jumping the gun on designating future interstates. They rushed to designate the Pennyrile Parkway as I-169 and the freeway section of US-51 between Dyersburg and Troy, Tennessee as I-69, even though both sections of freeway have not yet been approved for interstate designation.
Also what is now Future I-26 north of Asheville. I thought the two segments were linked a long time ago because of Google Maps, until someone on the forum corrected me.

That was also the first I learned it was discontinuous, the difference being I always viewed that area on paper maps, which showed the freeway as continuous (which it is) but because of the distance between shields on paper I always assumed it was continuous.

Google also signed the East End crossing as I-265 the day the road hit the map and it stayed that way for years. It is now SR-265 in IN AND KY, and SR-841 in KY only. It used to be the other way around, I remember the 841 designation travelling into Indiana. Confusing at best.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ibthebigd

When will I-265 be officially signed?

SM-G950U

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: ibthebigd on August 04, 2021, 05:24:56 PM

SM-G950U

I think you've got the wrong thread...
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 04, 2021, 06:28:23 PM

SM-G950U

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6283.550 is the thread for the I-265 East End Crossing...no new news about signing I-265 betweent I-65/Indiana and I-71/Kentucky reported for awhile

vdeane

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 04, 2021, 06:28:23 PM

SM-G950U

He was asking a question based on the content of the post that preceded his.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ITB

Picture update. Photos were taken Sunday, August 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

But first, for the map people, I'd like to mention some signing changes I've noticed:

- Old State Road 37 between Country Club Road and the new Egbert Road overpass in Morgan County is now signed Egbert Road
- Henderson Ford Road north of Egbert Road in Morgan County is now signed Bradford Road. With the new alignment of Henderson Ford Road/Centennial Road, Bradford Road will truncate at a turnaround come to a deadend near William Bradford Cemetery.
- The extension and new alignment of the road south of the I-69/Henderson Ford Road interchange is signed Centennial Road between New Harmony Road and Egbert Road

I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Morgan County

Looking south from near the Teeters Road overpass work zone just north of Martinsville in Morgan County. Crews are prepping the new southbound lanes for the upcoming traffic shift of all State Road 37 traffic, currently running on the northbound lanes, to the southbound lanes. In the background is the northern closure point of SR 37 at Morgan Street.

The view in the other direction, looking north, from the Teeters Road overpass work zone. Notice in the deep background (expand the photo) the deep cut and how much lower the southbound roadway is now compared to the northbound lanes. On the left is Egbert Road, a recently completed frontage road, which was formerly signed Old State Road 37.

The western abutment and middle pier of the Teeters Road overpass just north of Martinsville; looking east.

Looking south from near the northern closure point of State Road 37 at Morgan Street just north of Martinsville. The road in the background left is Twin Branch Road, a recently completely frontage road.

Another perspective from near the SR 37/Morgan Street intersection; looking south. With this section of roadway being paved with asphalt, I wonder if any other sections of Segment 1, aka the Martinsville segment, will be asphalt as well.

Closer look at the recently paved asphalt. Ah, nothing says road construction like the fresh smell of asphalt on a warm summer afternoon.

Another look from the Teeters Road overpass work zone in Morgan County; looking slightly northeast.

Closer look at the Teeters Road overpass construction; looking east.

More photos to come.

ITB

A few more pictures. Again, photos were taken Sunday, August 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from near the Myra Lane overpass work zone in Morgan County. To get your bearings, Myra Lane is roughly about one mile north of the Teeters Road overpass work area. When the photo is expanded, which I recommend be done, the Teeters Road overpass work zone is discernible in the deep background.

The view looking north from near the Myra Lane overpass work area. Note again how much lower the new southbound lanes are compared to northbound roadway. A massive amount of material has been removed. Some of it, it seems, has been transported down to the area where the ground is being built up for the Morgan Street extension north of Martinsville.

Pilings for the future Myra Lane overpass; looking northeast. These have been there for a while. Full blown construction of the overpass should commence next spring.

The Egbert Road overpass with its new railings; looking east.

Looking north from the Egbert Road overpass in Morgan County. On the left is the new, recently completed bridge over the dry swale. In the background is the crossover south of the State Road 37/Henderson Ford Road intersection. This week the process to shift all SR 37 traffic to the new southbound lanes from the crossover point down to Morgan Street in Martinsville will begin. Southbound traffic will be shifted first, followed by northbound traffic after the concrete barriers have been installed.

Looking south from the Egbert Road overpass. In the background is the recently completed mainline bridge over Clear Creek.

Another perspective from the Egbert Road overpass; looking southeast.

And one more from the Egbert Road overpass; looking south.

bmeiser

How come the new lanes are so much lower than the old in that area? Seems like a lot of work.

abqtraveler

Quote from: bmeiser on August 11, 2021, 12:11:27 AM
How come the new lanes are so much lower than the old in that area? Seems like a lot of work.

Probably to improve sight distance by reducing the steepness of the grade going up the hill. Notice in the last photo the old road is higher than the new road at the top of the hill, but in the foreground, the new road appears to be higher than the old road.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bmeiser

Makes sense to me. I didn't notice that before.

Interstate 69 Fan

Appears I-69 is being extended northward, to just north of SR 44 when the section in Martinsville re-opens back up to traffic - this makes sense.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/125edrwda3y1bmw/Final%20_Report_USRN%20Application%20Results%20Spring%202021.pdf?dl=0

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 12, 2021, 07:05:41 PM
Appears I-69 is being extended northward, to just north of SR 44 when the section in Martinsville re-opens back up to traffic - this makes sense.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/125edrwda3y1bmw/Final%20_Report_USRN%20Application%20Results%20Spring%202021.pdf?dl=0

Since when it opens, it will meet interstate standards and be signed as I-69, you might as well make it official.

I would hope that as each section working north towards I-465 gets completed, they will go ahead and add those to the system as well.

ITB

A few more pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, August 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1 (aka the "Martinsville" segment)

Looking north from near the Ohio Street work zone in Martinsville. In the mid background are the new mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch. Further back is the overpass that carries Grand Valley Blvd. In the deep background is the recently completed State Road 44 overpass.

Construction of the abutments and MSE walls for the bridges that will carry I-69 over Ohio Street in Martinsville; looking northeast. Ohio Street was recently shifted to its new, permanent alignment, allowing work to proceed on the bridge's western abutment.

The long, curving MSE wall and edge of the eastern bridge abutment at Ohio Street; looking northeast.

Another perspective of the mainline eastern bridge abutment over Ohio Street; looking slightly northwest.

View looking southwest from near the top of the eastern abutment.

Looking in the other direction from near the eastern abutment; looking north.

Long MSE wall leading to the western abutment of the bridges that will carry I-69 over Ohio Street; looking southwest.

ITB

Another set. Again, photos were taken Sunday, August 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Prior to paving with PCCP, dowel rod assemblies in place on the northbound lanes between the future I-69/State Road 39 interchange and Burton Lane in Martinsville; looking northeast. At this time, Burton Lane (background) remains open to crossing traffic, but permanent closure is expected either late this month or early next.

Another view of Ohio Street in Martinsville and the bridge work for I-69; looking southeast.

Looking north toward the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville, which was recently opened to traffic

The view looking south from near the future I-69/State Road 252-Hospital Drive interchange in Martinsville. In the mid-background right is the approach and northern abutment of the bridge that will carry I-69 over SR 252. Soil material is now in place covering the geofoam blocks. In the deep background is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. The northbound lanes of SR 37 (left), which had been serving a temporary connector between SR 252 and SR 44, have been rubblized.

Equipment lined up near the State Road 252 construction zone; looking south.

View looking north toward the State Road 44 overpass.

Base of lighting fixture near the Burton Lane crossing in Martinsville; looking northeast.

Another view of the dowel rod assembles on the northbound lanes north of the future State Road 39 interchange; looking northeast.

ITB

Few more photos from Sunday, August 8, 2021.

Demo work and the driving of new bridge pilings has commenced for the new northbound mainline bridge over Stotts Creek in Morgan County; looking northeast.

Closer look of the work underway at Stotts Creek; looking slightly northeast.

Long range view looking northeast toward the Stotts Creek work zone. The road in the foreground is recently completed extension of New Harmony Road.

Stack of I-beam pilings at the Stotts Creek work zone; looking east.

The new bridge that carries southbound I-69 over Stotts Creek; looking north. At this location, Stotts Creek (right) merges into the White River. Nice weather for canoe outing.

ITB

Came across the following listed in INDOT's 18 month letting list:

Hmm, superstructure repair and rehabilitation of a bridge that's about six five years old. The Kinser Pike overpass was the second bridge project undertaken in Section 5 after the Rockport Road overpass. The failed P3, it seems, just keeps giving and giving.

Construction of the Kinser Pike overpass in Monroe County in the fall of 2015; looking northwest. Photo was taken September 22, 2015.

Another view of the Kinser Pike overpass just after the beams were placed; looking northeast. Photo was taken October 18, 2015.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ITB on August 16, 2021, 04:33:55 PM
Hmm, superstructure repair and rehabilitation of a bridge that's about six five years old. The Kinser Pike overpass was the second bridge project undertaken in Section 5 after the Rockport Road overpass. The failed P3, it seems, just keeps giving and giving.
Sometimes a method is used that initially saves money but proves to be more costly in the long run. Happened in IL on the I-39 Illinois River bridge to the tune of a $30M deck replacement, only 20 years after the original construction. I'm sure there will be a fact finding on this due to the short turnaround needing a repair. Sometimes it's something minor like a premature expansion joint failure; without even a cost estimate, it's speculative to guess what the issue is.

SW Indiana

Has anyone heard when the closed Martinsville segment is scheduled to reopen? A FB commenter on the I-69 Finish Line page claims they heard they are several months behind. Just curious of the validity of that statement.

seicer

Quote from: Rick Powell on August 16, 2021, 06:11:02 PM
Quote from: ITB on August 16, 2021, 04:33:55 PM
Sometimes a method is used that initially saves money but proves to be more costly in the long run. Happened in IL on the I-39 Illinois River bridge to the tune of a $30M deck replacement, only 20 years after the original construction. I'm sure there will be a fact finding on this due to the short turnaround needing a repair. Sometimes it's something minor like a premature expansion joint failure; without even a cost estimate, it's speculative to guess what the issue is.

Similar issues are occurring on the Portsmouth OH bypass. We never learn.

ITB

Quote from: SW Indiana on August 26, 2021, 11:38:23 AM
Has anyone heard when the closed Martinsville segment is scheduled to reopen? A FB commenter on the I-69 Finish Line page claims they heard they are several months behind. Just curious of the validity of that statement.

The plan is to reopen the Martinsville segment before the end of the year. From my observations, and bear in mind I'm no expert, it appears construction of the segment is proceeding as expected. The claim they are behind by several months behind seems to me highly dubious.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: ITB on August 26, 2021, 03:25:56 PM

The plan is to reopen the Martinsville segment before the end of the year. From my observations, and bear in mind I'm no expert, it appears construction of the segment is proceeding as expected. The claim they are behind by several months behind seems to me highly dubious.
Yeah, I'd actually say they're ahead of schedule.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 26, 2021, 04:41:57 PM
Quote from: ITB on August 26, 2021, 03:25:56 PM

Yeah, I'd actually say they're ahead of schedule.

From the pictures I've seen on this thread and on the I-69 Finish Line website, I can't see how they would be running behind schedule with the Martinsville segment. It looks like they're moving along quite nicely.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

silverback1065

i always thought it would be open by thanksgiving.

NWI_Irish96

Probably in line with the average validity of a Facebook comment.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SW Indiana

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 27, 2021, 08:33:48 AM

Probably in line with the average validity of a Facebook comment.

:-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.