News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Shea

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on November 22, 2022, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2022, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Terry Shea on October 06, 2022, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2022, 10:12:30 PM
Last I checked US 31 was completed years ago.  So will the old section become US 31 SPUR?
Completion of the freeway near Benton Harbor, which should have been done decades ago.  They left a 2-and-a-half-mile gap and rerouted the connection to I-94 because they didn't want to disturb some butterflies.
http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/US-31Freeway_Berrien.html
I know that.  It is unbelievable that so much money is spent of just 2 miles of non controlled access highway that translated into an additional nine miles.

I suggest you both take some courses in biology.  The butterflies here are likely also an indicator of unique habitat that houses other rare species. 

The rate of species decline is appalling.  Even the American robin's population is declining rapidly.  Species are interdependent.  There will be a point where once we lose enough species, the jenga tower that is our planet will collapse.  Heaven forbid that a invasive/alien pathogen/predator like the varroa mite or murder hornet succeeds in killing off crop-pollinating honeybees. 

Rerouting a road to preserve a pollinator species seems like a small price to pay. MDOT did the right thing. 
The brainwashing is strong in this one. ;)

Rothman

Quote from: Terry Shea on November 23, 2022, 05:24:39 PM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on November 22, 2022, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2022, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Terry Shea on October 06, 2022, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2022, 10:12:30 PM
Last I checked US 31 was completed years ago.  So will the old section become US 31 SPUR?
Completion of the freeway near Benton Harbor, which should have been done decades ago.  They left a 2-and-a-half-mile gap and rerouted the connection to I-94 because they didn't want to disturb some butterflies.
http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/US-31Freeway_Berrien.html
I know that.  It is unbelievable that so much money is spent of just 2 miles of non controlled access highway that translated into an additional nine miles.

I suggest you both take some courses in biology.  The butterflies here are likely also an indicator of unique habitat that houses other rare species. 

The rate of species decline is appalling.  Even the American robin's population is declining rapidly.  Species are interdependent.  There will be a point where once we lose enough species, the jenga tower that is our planet will collapse.  Heaven forbid that a invasive/alien pathogen/predator like the varroa mite or murder hornet succeeds in killing off crop-pollinating honeybees. 

Rerouting a road to preserve a pollinator species seems like a small price to pay. MDOT did the right thing. 
The brainwashing is strong in this one. ;)
Nah.  Although the statement's a little exaggerated, environmental protections are indeed warranted.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

And as I said earlier in the thread, if these are federal protections, it's not like Michigan can just say F that and build the road without consequences.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JREwing78

I drove it last night. The WBD I-94 to SBD US-31 curve is more forgiving than the 30 mph suggested speed suggests, which should help. There seems to be enough runoff room to keep the inevitable folks who misjudge the corner from sliding onto the WBD on-ramp back to I-94.

On the I-94 overpass itself, it's begging for some kind of guardrail or reflective markers to better delineate the lanes merging from Bus I-94 to US-31 and I-94 to US-31, the lane for the left-turn to EBD I-94, and the on-coming WBD Bus I-94 lane. In the rain or damp pavement, it's a sea of (unlit) black asphalt (or, in winter, unplowed snow) without a lot of obvious cues what goes where. Once past the overpass the location of the lanes become clearer and all is well.

It's considerably simpler headed on NBD US-31. It's obvious I need to keep left to either continue into Benton Harbor or to head onto WBD I-94. The lack of delineators/barriers while crossing the I-94 overpass again is initially confusing, but the lane locations become clearer once west of the I-94 overpass.

Most of the expense here, as should be obvious, was not to build the US-31 mainline north from Napier Ave. It went into rebuilding the I-94 mainline and replacing overpasses along I-94. US-31's path between the I-94/I-196 interchange and Napier Ave is built in the cheapest way possible for MDOT to call it a freeway-to-freeway interchange with a straight face. But it does the job, and MDOT has room to build a WBD I-94 to SBD US-31 flyover if and when it becomes warranted.

If not already mentioned, Google Maps now shows the current I-94/Bus I-94/US-31 interchange layout. I also noticed the old speed limit and "must exit" signage is gone on NBD US-31 approaching Napier Ave.

dlovechio

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 27, 2022, 02:40:07 PM
I drove it last night. The WBD I-94 to SBD US-31 curve is more forgiving than the 30 mph suggested speed suggests, which should help. There seems to be enough runoff room to keep the inevitable folks who misjudge the corner from sliding onto the WBD on-ramp back to I-94.

On the I-94 overpass itself, it's begging for some kind of guardrail or reflective markers to better delineate the lanes merging from Bus I-94 to US-31 and I-94 to US-31, the lane for the left-turn to EBD I-94, and the on-coming WBD Bus I-94 lane. In the rain or damp pavement, it's a sea of (unlit) black asphalt (or, in winter, unplowed snow) without a lot of obvious cues what goes where. Once past the overpass the location of the lanes become clearer and all is well.

It's considerably simpler headed on NBD US-31. It's obvious I need to keep left to either continue into Benton Harbor or to head onto WBD I-94. The lack of delineators/barriers while crossing the I-94 overpass again is initially confusing, but the lane locations become clearer once west of the I-94 overpass.

Most of the expense here, as should be obvious, was not to build the US-31 mainline north from Napier Ave. It went into rebuilding the I-94 mainline and replacing overpasses along I-94. US-31's path between the I-94/I-196 interchange and Napier Ave is built in the cheapest way possible for MDOT to call it a freeway-to-freeway interchange with a straight face. But it does the job, and MDOT has room to build a WBD I-94 to SBD US-31 flyover if and when it becomes warranted.

If not already mentioned, Google Maps now shows the current I-94/Bus I-94/US-31 interchange layout. I also noticed the old speed limit and "must exit" signage is gone on NBD US-31 approaching Napier Ave.

I have a dumb question but is it really a freeway-to-freeway interchange if when you're coming from WB I-94 to SB US-31 and people can make a regular left turn to get onto EB I-94? (yes I know they are crossing over the NB US-31 lanes after the exit to get onto EB I-94)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKfTj_m0vBn8eXILUznffu9dMlUgA_vl/view?usp=sharing
US 31 upgrades from I 94 to I 465. Hoosier Hartland Highway west of US 31. US 131 from Kalamazoo to Three Rivers. (West Lafayette, Mishawaka, Three Rivers) (traveler to Kalamazoo, St Joe, and West Lafayette from SB)

Flint1979

My question is regarding Highland Avenue. I thought that the bridge there carrying Highland over I-94 was fairly new. I would think that Highland would dead end on both sides of the new interchange there but with the bridge being new is that bridge even still there? I haven't been in that area in awhile.

skluth

Quote from: dlovechio on December 06, 2022, 02:26:34 PM

I have a dumb question but is it really a freeway-to-freeway interchange if when you're coming from WB I-94 to SB US-31 and people can make a regular left turn to get onto EB I-94? (yes I know they are crossing over the NB US-31 lanes after the exit to get onto EB I-94)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKfTj_m0vBn8eXILUznffu9dMlUgA_vl/view?usp=sharing

SB traffic on US 31 shouldn't have to stop. The only light needed is for those turning left onto EB I-94/ NB US 31. Traffic not turning left shouldn't need to stop for a light.

Flint1979

Quote from: skluth on December 06, 2022, 03:06:12 PM

SB traffic on US 31 shouldn't have to stop. The only light needed is for those turning left onto EB I-94/ NB US 31. Traffic not turning left shouldn't need to stop for a light.
So it would be fine for a freeway to freeway interchange since the northbound traffic would have already used the ramp to get on eastbound I-94 at that point.

silverback1065

dlovechio

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 06, 2022, 04:04:39 PM
Quote from: skluth on December 06, 2022, 03:06:12 PM

So it would be fine for a freeway to freeway interchange since the northbound traffic would have already used the ramp to get on eastbound I-94 at that point.

Yes but what about WB I-94 going south on US-31 (like the people coming south on I-196 trying to continue south to South Bend on US-31) once they complete the curve and merge with Main St. (94 Bus) traffic they will probably continue at highway speeds but there are people who could slow down and get into a left turn lane. Doesn't seem very freeway-like to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gR-dFi32PmD5I5EZGzkzguPrg1nGk2Af/view?usp=sharing
US 31 upgrades from I 94 to I 465. Hoosier Hartland Highway west of US 31. US 131 from Kalamazoo to Three Rivers. (West Lafayette, Mishawaka, Three Rivers) (traveler to Kalamazoo, St Joe, and West Lafayette from SB)

sprjus4

This image looks west at US-31, over the southbound lanes, from east of the I-94 interchange.

In the distance, you can see where the southbound cloverleaf comes on, and where the lane from I-94 Business comes in from the left. The area that left turn lane / median cut is located is separated from the southbound loop coming on by a double solid line and space in between.

Nothing is impeding the southbound movement, so I would say it's a full freeway connection. The single left turn is separated from that lane, and does not cross it.

NWI_Irish96

US 31 NB --> I-94 WB is the movement that isn't freeway to freeway, and may prevent US 31 from ever being designated as an interstate if that were so desired.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

First of all the big thing making US 31 a full freeway south an interstate lies mainly in IN. US 31 has lots of at grades.  The only improvement INDOT will make is to build some interchanges and leave the rural parts a rural arterial.  They see no need to implement a red, white, and blue banner for this century.

Basically INDOT is copying Caltrans with US 101 and just making it more expressway than going full interstate standards, as the primary purpose is to go one hundred plus miles without stopping for a signal.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 07, 2022, 07:22:40 AM
US 31 NB --> I-94 WB is the movement that isn't freeway to freeway, and may prevent US 31 from ever being designated as an interstate if that were so desired.
If that were to ever happen, you could simply construct a flyover to address the movement.

wanderer2575

Right now, MDOT is about as concerned with that as they are with preparing for a hurricane.

But, just to play along, note that neither direction of 31 is on the roadway at the point of the wbd 94 onramp.  The turns onto that ramp are from BL 94, which is not a freeway.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 07, 2022, 09:43:42 AM

Right now, MDOT is about as concerned with that as they are with preparing for a hurricane.

But, just to play along, note that neither direction of 31 is on the roadway at the point of the wbd 94 onramp.  The turns onto that ramp are from BL 94, which is not a freeway.

I get that, but if you wanted to designate US 31 as I-67 from I-94 down to US 30 (or farther if Indiana makes more improvements), you'd have the I-67 NB to I-94 WB movement crossing that turn at grade, which would be problematic, even if I-67 itself is exiting the roadway before that point.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

zzcarp

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 07, 2022, 09:50:39 AM

I get that, but if you wanted to designate US 31 as I-67 from I-94 down to US 30 (or farther if Indiana makes more improvements), you'd have the I-67 NB to I-94 WB movement crossing that turn at grade, which would be problematic, even if I-67 itself is exiting the roadway before that point.

Not necessarily. There are numerous interstates across the country that have partial interchanges with the other movements performed via surface streets.
So many miles and so many roads

roadman65

Quote from: zzcarp on December 07, 2022, 09:56:36 AM

Not necessarily. There are numerous interstates across the country that have partial interchanges with the other movements performed via surface streets.

I-81 and I-690 in Syracuse using Bear Street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JREwing78

By the time this portion of US-31 where it meets I-94 becomes a factor in any discussion about an I-67 designation, I predict a few things:

- Many of us will likely be either dead or in a nursing home. This is at least 40 years away from fruition, absent a radical change in politics spurring a massive Interstate construction boom.
- INDOT will have to complete all access management and freeway conversion activities south of the state line, then apply for Interstate designation. MDOT's doesn't care enough to push an Interstate designation.
- If the above happens, MDOT will be in a position to cough up $$$ for a flyover for the WBD I-94/SBD US-31 movement>

I'll go out on a limb and say that 6-laning the remaining 4-lane sections of I-94 west of Ann Arbor happens before I-67 does.

silverback1065

if the main movements aren't limited access, it is NOT a limited access facility. full stop. those substandard interchanges are violations. if SB 31 had a flyover then, yes it would be a limited access freeway to freeway interchange.

zzcarp

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2022, 02:47:04 PM
if the main movements aren't limited access, it is NOT a limited access facility. full stop. those substandard interchanges are violations. if SB 31 had a flyover then, yes it would be a limited access freeway to freeway interchange.

The main movements are limited access: US 31 NB to I-94 EB/US 31 NB and I-94 WB/US 31 SB to US 31 SB. From the picture, the left turn from the EB business loop to EB I-94/NB US 31 is before the merge point, so it likely qualifies.
So many miles and so many roads

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2022, 02:47:04 PM
Did you read anything posted above?

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 06, 2022, 11:28:59 PM

This image looks west at US-31, over the southbound lanes, from east of the I-94 interchange.

In the distance, you can see where the southbound cloverleaf comes on, and where the lane from I-94 Business comes in from the left. The area that left turn lane / median cut is located is separated from the southbound loop coming on by a double solid line and space in between.

Nothing is impeding the southbound movement, so I would say it's a full freeway connection. The single left turn is separated from that lane, and does not cross it.

webny99

I would characterize this new interchange as "free-flowing" for the freeway-to-freeway movements, but not fully "freeway-to-freeway" because of the left turns. But it doesn't need to be. I think just "free flowing" is perfectly acceptable for this situation.

Quote from: zzcarp on December 07, 2022, 09:56:36 AM

Yes, but those are mostly in situations where the ramps aren't actually carrying an interstate designation. If US 31 was to become an interstate starting at or north of I-94, the southbound roadway with the left turn would be part of the interstate mainline, which wouldn't meet interstate standards unless it was grade-separated.

Either way, the prospect of US 31 becoming an interstate seems like a distant reality at best, but it is a distinction worth making.

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2022, 06:39:29 PM
If US 31 was to become an interstate starting at or north of I-94, the southbound roadway with the left turn would be part of the interstate mainline, which wouldn't meet interstate standards unless it was grade-separated.
It's already separated from the single-lane ramp by a double solid line and space in between... put a physical barrier there if you must.

Look at the picture.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2022, 07:53:16 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2022, 06:39:29 PM
If US 31 was to become an interstate starting at or north of I-94, the southbound roadway with the left turn would be part of the interstate mainline, which wouldn't meet interstate standards unless it was grade-separated.
It's already separated from the single-lane ramp by a double solid line and space in between... put a physical barrier there if you must.

Look at the picture.

The picture was not loading until I opened it in a new tab. I'm not sure if that's technically passable or not, but it's less egregious than I thought.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.