News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

(AHTD) Don Tyson Parkway at I-49

Started by US71, August 12, 2014, 10:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I was noticing the on ramps from Don Tyson Parkway to  I-49 end before you get to the next exit. I was wondering (as well as a few non-road associates of mine) why the ramps weren't extended to US 412 (NB) and Johnson Mill Blvd (SB) as "Exit Only" lanes.

One friend got into the lane thinking it was an exit lane, only to find it ended. He then had to fight his way back into traffic.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Oklahoma loves to extend the entrance ramp lanes to the next exit to form exit only lanes.  The new I-44 and the BA are good examples of this.  I personally think it's a no-brainer and all urban freeways with closely spaced exits should have this setup.

Arkansastravelguy

I'm not so sure about Johnson Mill, as it is not a heavily used exit, but I wondered the same thing considering how level the terrain is there plus the extremely high traffic volume exiting

Arkansastravelguy

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 12, 2014, 12:56:47 PM
I'm not so sure about Johnson Mill, as it is not a heavily used exit, but I wondered the same thing considering how level the terrain is there plus the extremely high traffic volume exiting
With Johnson Mill Blvd being widened, I think Johnson is anticipating more traffic (and more speeders).

M86

Quote from: US71 on August 12, 2014, 10:53:40 AM
I was noticing the on ramps from Don Tyson Parkway to  I-49 end before you get to the next exit. I was wondering (as well as a few non-road associates of mine) why the ramps weren't extended to US 412 (NB) and Johnson Mill Blvd (SB) as "Exit Only" lanes.

One friend got into the lane thinking it was an exit lane, only to find it ended. He then had to fight his way back into traffic.

This.

The "exit only" lanes aka auxiliary lanes are needed, even beyond what the old I-540 study stated.

For reference:  https://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/statewide_planning/Studies/1-11-105%20I-540%20Improvement%20Study.pdf

I can't understand how the widening in Fayetteville, when it first started, didn't include aux lanes and didn't follow the study from almost a decade ago.

bugo

Oklahoma uses the continuous lane between exits.  It's far safer than a lane that ends and forces a merge onto the highway.

M86

Quote from: bugo on August 26, 2014, 08:42:15 AM
Oklahoma uses the continuous lane between exits.  It's far safer than a lane that ends and forces a merge onto the highway.

Arkansas does too... in Little Rock.  The best use of aux lanes is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  Both I-29 from I-90 to I-229 and I-229 from I-29 to I-90.
I-49 in Northwest Arkansas has more than enough opportunities for auxiliary lanes.  Unfortunately, AHTD does things bare, bare bones.

AHTD

ACTUALLY.....
Auxiliary lanes will be incorporated as part of the improvements made between Southeast Walton Blvd. (Exit 85) and U.S. Highway 62/State Highway 102 (Exit 86). Look for this project in 2015.

As funds become available, an additional lane will be added to the OUTSIDE of I-49, of which some portions will be designated as auxiliary lanes.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

M86

Quote from: AHTD on August 27, 2014, 01:44:59 PM
ACTUALLY.....
Auxiliary lanes will be incorporated as part of the improvements made between Southeast Walton Blvd. (Exit 85) and U.S. Highway 62/State Highway 102 (Exit 86). Look for this project in 2015.

As funds become available, an additional lane will be added to the OUTSIDE of I-49, of which some portions will be designated as auxiliary lanes.

If we're talking "exit only" lanes/aux lanes, then the section between Exit 85 and Exit 83 should be ahead of providing an aux lane between Exit 86 and Exit 85.

I have dodged death on I-49 during rush hour between Walton/Walnut and the Pinnacle Hills exit.

Why is it so hard to improve/build a highway to what it should be?  Good grief.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on August 12, 2014, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 12, 2014, 12:56:47 PM
With Johnson Mill Blvd being widened, I think Johnson is anticipating more traffic (and more speeders).

The issue of the crappy two lane thru Johnson itself is still there as Main Dr. was not touched much. Over a decade ago, someone proposed that they run Joyce as a four lane on out to the Mill, some balked. It would have been a boon for the exit there, as it would have been the choice exit to get to Fayetteville's northern business district but pressure from those along Main Dr. killed it. I don't think the women's hospital or the hotel there thought they'd still not have a four lane  thoroughfare to 71B from that exit in 2015.

bjrush

Disagree. The goal of the project was essentially bypass downtown Johnson, open parcels along the new road for development and provide access to Springdale, Don Tyson Parkway and US 412

Johnson doesnt want a main road going through their downtown
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on September 01, 2014, 04:11:44 PM
Disagree. The goal of the project was essentially bypass downtown Johnson, open parcels along the new road for development and provide access to Springdale, Don Tyson Parkway and US 412

Interferes with their Speed Traps :p

M86

Quote from: bjrush on September 01, 2014, 04:11:44 PM

Johnson is like Little Flock.  It shouldn't exist.  They both need to dissolve into the larger cities near it.
We in NWA want a grid network of roads.

bjrush

It only incorporated in the 1960s so it could have water and sewer, which is now owned/operated by Springdale Water Utilities anyway

That said, Johnson will never cease to exist
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Never say never. Hiwasee ceased to exist.

US71

US71

Well, it appears I may have answered my own question: looking at the ramps from Tyson Parkway to North 49, they appear to end just before the dead-end stub of Luvene St. I am guessing there wasn't sufficient Right of Way to continue the lane as an Exit Only ramp to US 412.

M86

Quote from: US71 on September 13, 2014, 08:14:00 AM
Well, it appears I may have answered my own question: looking at the ramps from Tyson Parkway to North 49, they appear to end just before the dead-end stub of Luvene St. I am guessing there wasn't sufficient Right of Way to continue the lane as an Exit Only ramp to US 412.

In my opinion, there is sufficient right of way to construct an auxiliary lane, along with the current widening to 3 lanes.  Keep in mind, the widening of I-49 will result in a raised concrete median and part of that will be a lane.  NWA didn't plan well, but at least we have the grass median to buy us some room for lanes.

AHTD needs to realize the importance of auxiliary lanes.  Meh, I'll be an old fogie before that happens.  I just call it as I see it.

I find it funny that AHTD has the Towards Zero Deaths campaign... and AHTD's resistance on any type of roadway lighting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.