News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Never Knew Interstate Driving Was this hard to some people

Started by Crash_It, January 17, 2021, 11:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Never have I seen so many driving failures in one day on the interstate. It was like no one could do anything right, poor lane choices and more

https://youtu.be/q6DSs-trIzA

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 89

I don't think honking continuously for 14 seconds accomplishes anything other than announce to the world that you're way, way too aggressive.

Scott5114

I like the bit about the drivers driving "unlawfully slow", yet the video has his speed indicated in yellow at the bottom of the frame and doesn't drop below 45 MPH the whole time.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard a sat-nav reading directions out. Guess Interstate driving is hard enough you need a computer telling you where to go...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Crash_It

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2021, 03:10:15 AM
I like the bit about the drivers driving "unlawfully slow", yet the video has his speed indicated in yellow at the bottom of the frame and doesn't drop below 45 MPH the whole time.

Because I move away from them before it does
Also I'm pretty sure I heard a sat-nav reading directions out. Guess Interstate driving is hard enough you need a computer telling you where to go...

It's not that I don't know where to go, I just want the fastest way to where I'm going, plus it let's me know when slowdowns etc are coming up.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on January 17, 2021, 11:58:24 PM
Never have I seen so many driving failures in one day on the interstate. It was like no one could do anything right, poor lane choices and more

Wow, you expected Interstate driving in Chicago to be an experience in civility and predictability?  See, I've never once expected that.  Maybe that's the difference between you and good defensive drivers.  I expect both fast and aggressive behavior from those who drive the highway every day and also sluggish and hesitant behavior from those who are unfamiliar with the area.

All of those poor lane choice maneuvers looked like completely normal driver behavior to me, the kind one should fully expect to see on an urban highway like that.  Last-second exits and blind or hesitant lane changes are very common in that sort of environment.  Your unwillingness to accommodate them makes you a threat to highway safety.  By assuming they know you're not letting them over, you risk them side-swiping you.  By continuing around them, you cause them to slow down even more, or even stop as the case may be, which means they end up impeding traffic even more than they would have if you had been polite and allowed them over. 

Quote from: US 89 on January 18, 2021, 12:14:19 AM
I don't think honking continuously for 14 seconds accomplishes anything other than announce to the world that you're way, way too aggressive.

Oh, it can definitely accomplish other things too!  Like causing other drivers to slow down unnecessarily because they think they're in imminent danger.  Or causing other drivers to take their eyes off the road in order to find out what someone's honking that much about.  Or startling another driver enough to make him or her jerk the steering wheel suddenly.  All of which can actually cause an accident.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I didn't see anything in that video that I would not expect to see on urban Interstates here in the DC area, in Miami,  or in New York (the urban areas where I drive the most often). If anything, those drivers struck me as more courteous than I would expect: Most of them used their blinkers instead of just shoving over.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 18, 2021, 12:09:26 PM
I didn't see anything in that video that I would not expect to see on urban Interstates here in the DC area, in Miami,  or in New York (the urban areas where I drive the most often). If anything, those drivers struck me as more courteous than I would expect: Most of them used their blinkers instead of just shoving over.

Miami has the worst drivers:

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 30, 2013, 12:46:41 PM
Miami.  I have driven in every major US metropolitan area larger than, oh approximately Branson, Missouri.  so I think I have a good scientific basis for this opinion... and, trust me, folks, it's Miami.

Quote from: vtk on July 26, 2013, 09:29:02 AM
Quote from: realjd on July 25, 2013, 11:28:37 PM
Miami drivers aren't that bad once you get used to them

That's it right there.  Good drivers are predictable drivers.

except Miami does not feature predictably bad driving.  Oregon, for example, you can get used to the fact that people do 55mph three-abreast on the freeway. 

Miami, however, you cannot get used to the driving, which includes such behavior as running a stop sign, pulling in front of you as to completely stop your progress, and getting out of the car to swear at you.  go ahead and try to predict that!

DC should be similar to Miami in that you have people from everywhere. However, New York should have better drivers than Chicago, at least according to Brandon.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on January 18, 2021, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 18, 2021, 12:09:26 PM
I didn't see anything in that video that I would not expect to see on urban Interstates here in the DC area, in Miami,  or in New York (the urban areas where I drive the most often). ...
Miami has the worst drivers:

To the extent that it's even relevant whether Miami is worse than DC or Chicago, it can't be said definitively that Miami is worse.

Scott5114

Quote from: Crash_It on January 18, 2021, 04:06:30 AM
It's not that I don't know where to go, I just want the fastest way to where I'm going, plus it let's me know when slowdowns etc are coming up.

You have to have the computer tell you that instead of just looking at a map? Wow, I guess it is that hard, huh?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2021, 12:26:10 PM

You have to have the computer tell you that instead of just looking at a map? Wow, I guess it is that hard, huh?

If there are two equally good ways to get there, but it's rush hour, a GPS is often helpful in telling you which one has less delay.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 11:58:23 AM
Wow, you expected Interstate driving in Chicago to be an experience in civility and predictability?

Why, of course! That's what draws people to Chicago's interstates in the first place, right?

I expect both fast and aggressive behavior from those who drive the highway every day and also sluggish and hesitant behavior from those who are unfamiliar with the area.

I'm going to go even a step further:
Expect fast and aggressive behavior and sluggish and hesitant behavior from those who drive the highway every day.
Expect sluggish and hesitant behavior and fast and aggressive behavior from those who are unfamiliar with the area.

Quote from: US 89 on January 18, 2021, 12:14:19 AM
Oh, it can definitely accomplish other things too!

I am guilty of honking continuously for a number of seconds... not sure if it was 14 though... at a location that appears to be somewhat similar to the one in the video. It was certainly an overreaction, and I've matured enough since then that I would handle it differently now; however, no one who witnessed it could've possibly thought I was being aggressive. It was in response to someone trying to cut in at the last second after blowing past more than a mile of slow/stopped traffic.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on January 18, 2021, 12:36:45 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2021, 12:26:10 PM

If there are two equally good ways to get there, but it's rush hour, a GPS is often helpful in telling you which one has less delay.

Yeah, but for someone who goes on the internet to complain about how Interstate driving is so hard for some people, it should be easy to know, right? After all, he's apparently good enough at Interstate driving to judge others. He must know everything there is to know about it.

ozarkman417

Quote from: renegade on January 18, 2021, 03:53:58 AM
Another U-Toob video to monetize ...   :thumbdown:
I doubt that these videos are even monetized, though Crash_It would need to confirm this. I have never received any form of ad before a video on his channel. Even if it is monetized, It probably doesn't draw that much money in, given the channel's statistics. Scrolling through the channel's videos, the highest viewcount was ~3k, though the average is much lower than that.

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 12:41:36 PM
I am guilty of honking continuously for a number of seconds... not sure if it was 14 though... at a location that appears to be somewhat similar to the one in the video. It was certainly an overreaction, and I've matured enough since then that I would handle it differently now; however, no one who witnessed it could've possibly thought I was being aggressive. It was in response to someone trying to cut in at the last second after blowing past more than a mile of slow/stopped traffic.

Chalk that one up as just another behavior I fully expect to see on the highway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: stridentweasel on January 18, 2021, 12:50:46 PM
Be careful not to run out of horn juice.

Call it by the correct name:  horn fluid.  It runs out especially fast during cold weather, so Crash_It might be due for a visit to the mechanic soon.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

"Speeds up when I go to pass (unlawful)" cite statute please

While he was far too indecisive, you had the space to move over to let him in cleanly but for some reason chose not to. He was probably trying to figure out what you were doing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 12:51:47 PM
I am guilty of honking continuously for a number of seconds...  It was in response to someone trying to cut in at the last second after blowing past more than a mile of slow/stopped traffic.
Chalk that one up as just another behavior I fully expect to see on the highway.

For me, the degree to which cutting in is acceptable depends on the specifics of the circumstance. It's almost always more acceptable on a surface street than it is on the freeway, with very little overlap. On the freeway, I'm only OK with it if you can do it smoothly without causing disruption to dozens of other drivers. But perhaps my view is too nuanced.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 18, 2021, 01:07:55 PM
"Speeds up when I go to pass (unlawful)" cite statute please

He's probably misinterpreting 625 ILCS 5/11-703(b) and thinking it applies to Interstate highways.

It doesn't, because the first clause excludes them by virtue of 625 ILCS 5/11-704(a)2.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 01:10:41 PM

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 12:51:47 PM

I am guilty of honking continuously for a number of seconds...  It was in response to someone trying to cut in at the last second after blowing past more than a mile of slow/stopped traffic.

For me, the degree to which cutting in is acceptable depends on the specifics of the circumstance. It's almost always more acceptable on a surface street than it is on the freeway, with very little overlap. On the freeway, I'm only OK with it if you can do it smoothly without causing disruption to dozens of other drivers. But perhaps my view is too nuanced.

In my experience, the reason it ends up being a "disruption to dozens of other drivers" is because the other drivers refuse to just let the guy in.  If they did, he could merge at the same speed of traffic as the other lane, and only a couple of drivers would have to slow down any more than they were already going.  It's when nobody lets him in that he ends up merging from 0 mph and the domino effect happens.

In the OP's video, I saw him refuse to let a guy in who was already slowing down on the left side of traffic and running out of room.  That driver probably had to come to a complete stop or something very near it, which means the disruption behind Crash-It's vehicle was likely more severe than if he had just tapped his brakes a little and let the guy over.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 01:30:40 PM
In my experience, the reason it ends up being a "disruption to dozens of other drivers" is because the other drivers refuse to just let the guy in.  If they did, he could merge at the same speed of traffic as the other lane, and only a couple of drivers would have to slow down any more than they were already going.  It's when nobody lets him in that he ends up merging from 0 mph and the domino effect happens.

Unless, of course, traffic is already going 0 mph or barely moving.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 03:42:39 PM

In which case, drivers should definitely take turns letting each other go.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 04:06:08 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 03:42:39 PM

In which case, drivers should definitely take turns letting each other go.

And block the traffic that isn't exiting?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.