News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nearest Freeway Segment You've Never Driven

Started by webny99, July 16, 2018, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Pfft.  Freeway segment?  Northern end of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, maybe.  I have never been to Bear Mountain.

Hard to tell here in NY.  Too many short little segments everywhere that are easy to miss.

In terms of interstates, the resigned section of I-95/I-295 in NJ/PA and I-781 are basically equidistant from me (I will wait for the entire I-95 project to be done to re-clinch those segments).  After that is the very end of I-190 between the last exit and the border crossing (got my passport, finally).

Then comes a section of I-95 in Maine between exits 217 and 286.

From there it is probably the northwest quarter of the  I-270 loop or I-75 south of the Ohio Turnpike.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

slorydn1

The Toll 540 or Toll 147 in the RDU area because tolls-well that and the fact that I never need to go anywhere served by those roads. I am not a shunpiker per se, but I'm not going out of my way to use a road that costs money for no good reason either.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

kurumi

Nearest (to where I've ever lived): also MA 57, about 35 miles away.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

PHLBOS

Given that I've touched just about every freeway segment in my immediate area (Greater Philly); the nearest one that I haven't been on at all would be MD 10 just south of Baltimore.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

There's a 1 mile section of I-295 in NJ I'm rarely on since I can access the road via the exits just north and south of there.

Same with the NJ Turnpike between Exits 2 & 3.

I'm gonna say there's probably some odd freeway roadway in Delaware County or Chester County, PA that I've never been on; about 30 or 45 minutes away.  Otherwise, I don't believe I've ever driven much of I-78 in NJ; about 70 miles from me.

plain

Great thread.

I just remembered I have yet to drive the short stretch of VA 267 inside the beltway.
Newark born, Richmond bred

TheHighwayMan3561

I think mine is the remaining freeway section of US 14 west of US 169 in Mankato.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheCatalyst31

The WI 26 bypass of Watertown. I've driven all the other freeway segments of WI 26, but I took the business route the one time I was in the Watertown area.

Rothman

Quote from: kurumi on July 17, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
Nearest (to where I've ever lived): also MA 57, about 35 miles away.
Heh.  Not too many Riverside/Six Flags fans on here. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jon daly

Is this as the crow flies?  It might be the eastern part of the LIE, but I'd have to take a ferry to get there.

citrus

CA-4 between I-80 and CA-242... the 4/80 junction is about 25 miles away by road.

sparker

The CA 37 freeway around the north side of Vallejo, particularly the portion between the fairgrounds and the Napa River bridge including the interchange with CA 29.  Built while I was still living in SoCal; haven't had the need nor opportunity to drive on it as of yet since I moved up here at the end of 2012.  One of these days.............

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2018, 08:05:23 AM
Pfft.  Freeway segment?
What would you have preferred to answer? Nearest road in general? Nearest Hudson River Crossing?  :-D

Quote from: jon daly on July 17, 2018, 11:57:58 AM
Is this as the crow flies?  It might be the eastern part of the LIE, but I'd have to take a ferry to get there.
Sure, why not? Generally, I was thinking of over land, but whatever floats your boat (see what I did there?).

jon daly

^^ Thanks. I may've driven to the entire LIE back in the 90s, but I didn't keep a diary of these things. If I did, then the Sunrise Highway is probably my answer.

texaskdog

If we're not counting tollways, probably I-14 by Temple (we live in South Austin).  Keeping tollways in, the stretch of toll 130 near here.

cpzilliacus

Probably parts of I-676 in Philadelphia and New Jersey plus parts of I-264 and VA-164 in Portsmouth and Chesapeake, Virginia.

Curious, since I have driven all of the parent routes in the respective states (I-76 in Pennsylvania is pretty long as is I-64 (I am counting it as a parent of VA-164 too) across Virginia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cjk374

Any of the I-x10s in NOLA. Also the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (shameful).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

noelbotevera

I've never been on US 15 in MD north of Exit 13 (the freeway segment near Frederick). For me, that's 53 miles away (37 as the crow flies).

The nearest freeway I've never been on at all is the Patuxent Freeway, which would be 87 miles away (63 as the crow flies).

NWI_Irish96

There is a very small section of I-355 between the NB355->EB88 and the WB88->NB355 ramps that I haven't covered yet.  46 miles from home.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

adwerkema

I'm surprised to find out that my closest untraveled freeway segment is only 7 miles away. Living in Kentwood, I never have a reason to drive the portion of I-196 between Chicago Drive and Lake Michigan Drive. Living in Grand Rapids 19 years, I may have been on this segment at some point, but I have no clear memory of doing so.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 17, 2018, 01:17:40 PM
Probably parts of I-676 in Philadelphia and New Jersey plus parts of I-264 and VA-164 in Portsmouth and Chesapeake, Virginia.
Curious, since I have driven all of the parent routes in the respective states (I-76 in Pennsylvania is pretty long as is I-64 (I am counting it as a parent of VA-164 too) across Virginia.

I didn't 'clinch' I-381 and my last section of VA I-81 (about 20 miles just south of Pulaski) until 2017 (TN eclipse trip).

It was raining so hard on my one previous I-81 trip thru the Bristol area (1991) that I skipped I-381.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

Hard to say...probably something in Montreal.

slorydn1

Quote from: adwerkema on July 17, 2018, 02:03:42 PM
I'm surprised to find out that my closest untraveled freeway segment is only 7 miles away. Living in Kentwood, I never have a reason to drive the portion of I-196 between Chicago Drive and Lake Michigan Drive. Living in Grand Rapids 19 years, I may have been on this segment at some point, but I have no clear memory of doing so.

That's funny, because when I was a young pup in the 1970's living in Jenison (Georgetown Township) that very segment of I-196 was the freeway I spent the most time riding on. I can even vaguely remember when I-196 ended at Chicago Dr.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

adwerkema

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 17, 2018, 02:38:28 PM
Quote from: adwerkema on July 17, 2018, 02:03:42 PM
That's funny, because when I was a young pup in the 1970's living in Jenison (Georgetown Township) that very segment of I-196 was the freeway I spent the most time riding on. I can even vaguely remember when I-196 ended at Chicago Dr.
That's hilarious and quite ironic  :-D

SectorZ

MA 240, which is the only inch of freeway in my state I've never been on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.