News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Clear Path Northeast I465 / I69 Project

Started by cjw2001, December 07, 2023, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjw2001

Starting a new thread since I don't believe one exists for the Clear Path Northeast project.

The first new ramp is scheduled to open next week from I 69 South to I 465 West.  There will also be traffic shifts onto new pavement near Allisonville Road.   See the following newsletter link for details.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/37e6976

The Ghostbuster

The Clear Path name for the project reminds me of the "clear path" foul in basketball. It looks like there still won't be access from Interstate 69 North/Interstate 465 West to Binford Blvd. South, and the two existing cloverleafs will also remain. I guess there isn't enough right-of-way to replace the cloverleafs with another ramp configuration.

cjw2001

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2023, 02:38:16 PM
The Clear Path name for the project reminds me of the "clear path" foul in basketball. It looks like there still won't be access from Interstate 69 North/Interstate 465 West to Binford Blvd. South, and the two existing cloverleafs will also remain. I guess there isn't enough right-of-way to replace the cloverleafs with another ramp configuration.
There will be a new direct-connect ramp from eastbound I-465 to northbound I-69 replacing most of the traffic on that one cloverleaf.   The only traffic left on that cloverleaf will be local traffic from I 465 to 82nd Street.  The other cloverleaf will handle local traffic from Bimford to I 465 West.  No interstate to interstate traffic will be on a cloverleaf after the project completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1luViuWqZE

silverback1065

this new interchange will help with traffic so much. can't wait for it to be done.

Henry

I know for a fact that the redone I-465/I-69 interchange will be much better than the older version. Perhaps this is in conjunction with the southern interchange that's now under construction?

OT: The eastern junction with I-74 needs a similar revamp, because I hate that the through movements are one lane each, and also that the left exits exist for Southeastern Blvd. Hopefully, that interchange will also get worked on in the near future.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tdindy88

Quote from: Henry on December 08, 2023, 11:27:23 PM
I know for a fact that the redone I-465/I-69 interchange will be much better than the older version. Perhaps this is in conjunction with the southern interchange that's now under construction?

OT: The eastern junction with I-74 needs a similar revamp, because I hate that the through movements are one lane each, and also that the left exits exist for Southeastern Blvd. Hopefully, that interchange will also get worked on in the near future.

That won't happen for a long time. There are many needs for improvement around the Indianapolis highway system but rebuilding the I-74 interchange isn't that high ranking. Having a second lane for the westbound I-74 ramp to I-465 south wouldn't be a bad idea but I've never noticed traffic there being too bad accessing that ramp. Not the best, but nowhere near the volume of traffic heading from eastbound I-465 onto northbound I-69 in the Clear Path project.

bmeiser

They need to add capacity to the US31 interchange on the north side before they do this. It's so frustrating how they under-designed this interchange. It backs up all the time.

Pixel 7

cjw2001

Quote from: bmeiser on December 09, 2023, 07:04:59 AM

They need to add capacity to the US31 interchange on the north side before they do this. It's so frustrating how they under-designed this interchange. It backs up all the time.

Pixel 7
This has more to do with capacity constraints on I 465 either side of the interchange than with the interchange itself.   The traffic has nowhere to go during busy hours.

cjw2001

Based on the traffic camera view it looks like the ramp from Allisonville to 465 West has fully reopened in the new configuration overnight as scheduled.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: bmeiser on December 09, 2023, 07:04:59 AM

Pixel 7

It really wasn't under-designed for the traffic patterns that existed when it was built. The problem is, traffic got a lot heavier, and did so much faster, than the projections that they were using.

SkyPesos

I dislike the entrances to I-74 EB at that interchange more than the exits. The two "through" lanes are both coming from Southeastern Ave, while the lanes coming from both directions of I-465 have to merge into them.

cjw2001

I drove through the new ramp today - it opened overnight from I 69 South to I 465 West.  Ramp entrance is still on the left of I 465 South ramp, then crosses over that ramp on a new bridge to the new pavement near Allisonville.   The Allisonville exit ramp was open to traffic from I 69 only -- I 465 traffic was still on the old pavement as of today and therefore had no access to Allisonville Road.   Likely that will get switched over to the new  concrete tonight.

FixThe74Sign

Oh hey look, the reason my username is the way that it is. The diagram of that interchange on the sign when you are on 74 West approaching 465 makes it look like the left lane gets you on 465. But it does not. It's an exit only onto Southeastern. Very stupid to have the majority of traffic fight and jostle for positioning into the right lane, only for a ramp lane to appear later.

SkyPesos

The I-865 exit lane configuration from I-465 needs to be fixed too. Restrip the middle lane/wide shoulder on the WB exit as an option lane for I-865. I don't think the I-465 NB to I-865 NB movements needs its own lane when combining with I-865, considering most through traffic that would've used that movement exited at I-65 several exits ago, so that could be turned into a merge.

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2023, 05:57:34 PM
The I-865 exit lane configuration from I-465 needs to be fixed too. Restrip the middle lane/wide shoulder on the WB exit as an option lane for I-865. I don't think the I-465 NB to I-865 NB movements needs its own lane when combining with I-865, considering most through traffic that would've used that movement exited at I-65 several exits ago, so that could be turned into a merge.

That entire interchange is being redone soon it's part of a big redesign of 465 from 86th to US 31. INDOT announced it a few months ago.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 14, 2023, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2023, 05:57:34 PM

That entire interchange is being redone soon it's part of a big redesign of 465 from 86th to US 31. INDOT announced it a few months ago.
https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/home/i-465-northwest-improvements-project/

Probably should be discussed in it's own thread...

Moose

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 13, 2023, 02:24:19 PM

I dislike the entrances to I-74 EB at that interchange more than the exits. The two "through" lanes are both coming from Southeastern Ave, while the lanes coming from both directions of I-465 have to merge into them.

Don't forget that one exit

The ramp exit from I-74 WB to I-465/74 is freaking hilarious. It has a fairly steep grade on the exit. The google street cam doesn't quite show it right, but in icy weather coming down that is pretty fun.

cjw2001

Looks like INDOT is activating new pavement tonight for the I 465 to I 69 Northbound movement.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/387f02a

cjw2001

Looks like the project has finally decided to communicate a bit.

Youtube videos just posted (a bit overdue, some are dated weeks ago but just released) on the recent ramp openings and other topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktQfcqQ3Rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppkDMn1F4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4zbAHRKS6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH3s2tiAeUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCqDbyorWs

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

cjw2001

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.