AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 08:36:11 AM 
Started by Brandon - Last post by kalvado
Its time for them to go, this has been dragged out way too many years.  A last minute buyer is just prolong what ought to happen now.
Amazon is the new Sears. Walmart blew Kmart out the water. Maybe if these stores studied statistics of whatís popular like ďElectronicsĒ & fast ďquickĒ service. They would have survived.

*Walmart is surviving because they are now putting their workers & stores first a little more* I Say this from experience of working in walmart in recent years. I know they were shitty back in the day. & sometimes they can be now. But they have turned around.*
iPhone

Irony there being Sears was a huge investor in Prodigy Online in the 80s/90s and was the first major retailer to have online shopping.  They were actually in that market about a decade and a half too soon which made it a failure.
And thats the problem. Scared money donít make money. If sears would have taken the risk & not chickened out. They would have been a Walmart or amazon brand. But the old school is said to say over. A little bit will come back here & there. But people want technology & they want shit fast. The internet was scary at that time.  But if you donít take risks sometimes. How will you know you failed?

iPhone

You're aware wireless internet wasn't mainstream for about another decade by the time Sears divested?  That project bled money constantly no matter how hard Sears pushed it.  They even had a show case on Regis and Kathie Lee that went nowhere, there was a later Howard Stern plug that also went bubkus.  At the time we're talking dial-up internet and closed ISPs being the order of the day, speed definitely wasn't anywhere what we have today.
I understand that. But if the people who created AOL & Steve jobs who created Iphones. Didnt keep working on it & trying new things. Even when it was slow & clunky. What would we have today? A Ipear made by Leave bobs? Cmon sears could have really changed the game. They had basically everything at one point. Except a grocery store. Correct me if im wrong.

iPhone
You may not fully understand the meaning of "slow and chunky", and capabilities of hardware those days. Screen resolution is a fraction of cheap  (64x480 or 800x600) is a fraction of what is standard for the phone these days, and it takes maybe a minute to download a full screen size picture at 33.6k
Catalog shopping was popular because a single catalog page could contain more information than you could ever download via the modem.
It may be for a good reason that Amazon - which started as a bookstore - grew up the way it did as you can sell books in a text-only mode without many issues.
Delivery was more expensive, and I believe credit card processing was more involved.
Maybe there was a way to improve catalog sales with dial-in service, but you mentioned groceries.. which were definitely a non-starter.
Something really trivial in 2018 was too difficult in the days of faxes.

on: Today at 08:36:09 AM 
Started by doogie1303 - Last post by 1995hoo
Gotta love having to read nine words in order to know what to do.

It's definitely self-explanatory, but even as implemented, it's a massive improvement compared to 99% of VA's double right turns, which inevitably ban RTOR from the left lane.

Despite the two signals, it's actually only a single lane, unless they widened it since the Street View was taken (which 1995hoo didn't mention having been done).

When I went through there today, there were two right-turn lanes and two left-turn lanes. I havenít looked at Street View (including your link) to see if itís been revised over the years. Too lazy and more interested in the can of DC Brau thatís sitting over here.

Huh, interesting. The pavement was definitely there for two lanes, though even in the old Street View before the flashing red arrow, there were two signals.

You know, upon reflection I think I should amend my comment to say the people turning right had formed two lanes, so I assumed there were two. Thatís not always a valid assumption, of course! I did not look over to see the actual pavement markings.

on: Today at 08:21:12 AM 
Started by doogie1303 - Last post by Roadsguy
Hmm. More common than I realized. Unless another PNW user knows of one that I can't think of, I am certain that no electronic prohibition signs exist in my area for purposes other than railways or crosswalks. Still seems a bit odd.

There's this one in Renton, where traffic coming down hill from around the corner may not be visible to cars turning right.  https://goo.gl/maps/m5zfhW5grEk

Very nice. I appreciate them not immediately using a NTOR sign. What does it say when activated?

It has a symbolic no right turn prohibition, like this one.  In this intersection in Kirkland the prohibition comes on not on the walk sign, but when opposing left turning traffic is in the protected phase.  It turns off when it is in the permissive phase.

Blankable right on red restriction by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Seems like it'd make more sense for the LED display to say No Turn On Red.

on: Today at 08:07:00 AM 
Started by seicer - Last post by wriddle082
Drivers worry with weight restrictions over Ohio River bridge

[...]

Inspectors found possible advanced deterioration and other irregularities on the Frank "Gunner" Gatski memorial bridge which connects East Huntington to Proctorville, Ohio.

The restriction only affects semis and other heavier loads.

[...]

This summer, inspectors with the West Virginia Department of Transportation found possible advanced deterioration in some of the cables as well as what they're calling irregularities in the structural elements for the bridge which opened in 1985.

I wanna say that they built the tower for this bridge a lot earlier than 1985.  I wanna say that when Jay Rockefeller was WV governor in the early 80ís, most of WVís road money was funneled towards modernizing the WV Turnpike and possibly trying to finish I-64 east of Beckley.  The East Huntington bridge was started back when Arch Moore was governor just before Rockefeller, then was stopped, then restarted again when Arch became governor again.

on: Today at 08:06:02 AM 
Started by jbnv - Last post by AsphaltPlanet
Two Hundred Third -> Dubeau (Verner, ON):

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_17_images/17_cl_Dubeau_west_Aug17_24x16.jpg

on: Today at 08:05:40 AM 
Started by Brian556 - Last post by jemacedo9
Rochester NY installed new street lights on wires a couple of years ago, Downtown, on the new Cortland St, as part of it's Midtown project:

https://goo.gl/maps/33yPNZFtP3y

on: Today at 08:04:16 AM 
Started by CapeCodder - Last post by CapeCodder
St. Louis, in my opinion rates pretty high I was only using it as an example.

St. Louis City might rate well, but I'd give St. Louis County a D for all three categories, mainly due to the disconnects that make it more difficult than it should be to get to/from the southeastern portion of the county.

I just moved from Oakville/ South STL County this summer. It's actually fairly direct to get anywhere from South County except to the core around Clayton/ Brentwood/ U City. This disconnect extends into the city's Central West End.  You can get to Webster via I-270/44. You can get to Maplewood via I-55/River Des Peres. The lack of connection between I-64/I-170 to I-44 is the main sticking point. Taking Hanley/Laclede Station is a royal pain. Brentwood Blvd/ Elm is even worse.

The biggest lack of connectivity is in South St Louis city. While technically the streets are a grid (more a drunken grid based on French long lots built around the inside bend of the Mississippi), South STL is the land of four-way stops. This is especially true if you are trying to go E-W anywhere between I-44 and Loughborough. The worst is Arsenal. It should be the major thoroughfare (along with Chippewa) going E-W. However, starting at Oak Hill on the south side of Tower Grove Park is the following eastbound cross-street sequence:

Oak Hill - All way stop (3-way due to park)
Roger Place - All way stop (3-way due to park)
Gustine - All way stop (3-way due to park)
Spring - Stoplight
Grand - Stoplight
Arkansas - 4-way stop
Louisiana - 4-way stop
Compton - 4 way stop
Michigan - 4 way stop
Minnesota - 4 way stop
Gravois/ Pennsylvania - nightmare of a Stoplight with three streets crossing, none at right angles (This may have been redesigned when they rebuilt Gravois. I mostly avoided this area even when I lived in the city.)
Nebraska - 4 way stop
Oregon - 4 way stop
California - 4 way stop
Iowa - Finally, only Iowa, a minor sidestreet, has to stop

This is fourteen consecutive controlled cross-streets, only three of which are stoplights, on what should be the most important E-W arterial in that part of town. To be fair, there are two minor streets that only extend north of Arsenal. However, Virginia only extends four blocks north and St Elizabeth is all of a block long, and neither street constitutes a full long block typical of that part of the city. The point here is that even though the area is connected by definition, it's a very disconnected area because it's a ridiculous pain in the arse to get from Benton Park to Tower Grove South. Actually, getting around anywhere within the area bounded by Benton Park, Holly Hills, and the Hill inevitably leads to a minimum of one nightmare signaled intersection, a half-dozen four way stops, and a bored city police officer ready to ticket you if you dare not come to a complete stop at any of them. The only exceptions are Gravois and Kingshighway.

What about Gravois @ Morganford? I seem to recall that it was a short green there at one time.

on: Today at 07:43:31 AM 
Started by cahwyguy - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Phase 2 of the site refresh is done -- the second half of the "Mapping Project Phase". In this phase, maps illustrating each route were added to the County Sign Route pages. This uncovered loads of errors in the database, and loads of errors in Google Maps. It also shows much more visually the rhyme and reason behind the county sign routes. It is a shame that the counties have not done a better job signing these routes or calling attention to them -- many of them look quite useful and interesting to drive. It is also interesting that many counties do not choose to participate in the program, or do so only sparingly.

Next up: A normal update, processing headlines, legislative actions, and CTC minutes.

The issue is that the program has been so poorly maintained by most counties that itís hard to tell what is really official regarding the Signed County Routes.  Tulare County is by far the worst offender in terms of lack of Signed County Route maintenance but on the whole there doesnít seem to be any consistent standards across the board.  Itís really too bad, there are lots of useful routes in the system that still serve a navigational purpose and it certainly could be greatly expanded on in rural areas IMO.

Totally agree.  The navigational benefits for having an expanded county highway system would be tremendous, but only if the routes are properly signed.  As we see with decomissioned state highways that are supposed to be signed for navigational purposes (but are never done), this is easier said than done.

IMO it is up to the gov't authorities (County or state) to properly sign the best routings with good signage to help the motoring public.  Let's not have everyone rely solely on GPS.

Agree. There was a conspicuous effort to remove many of the Tulare signed county routes, and I can only think of one location that I think is off of SR 65 where one could find a shield. Not only the county's signs are gone, but so are the county route markers from the intersecting state highways. Usually if a county forgets to sign its routes, at least the state will post a sign. But that is not the case in Tulare.

All of J41 over Sherman Pass was unsigned, meaning Inyo has no signed county routes as far as I know. Many of the county routes I've seen signed in rural counties such as Del Norte and Tehama tend to be old and faded once you're off the state highway system. Signing county routes is generally an afterthought, and the best examples I've seen is the most recently implemented signed county route: 66 across San Bernardino County. CR 66 even has cardinal directions, which is more than most California signed county routes have.

I do wish California would sign former state routes reverted to county or municipal control as county routes with the same number to make navigation easier, but that is unlikely to occur.

Itís too bad that former state routes canít get the same treatment they do in Florida where they retain their number and for awhile has their own version of the state shield.  With Tulare County the only route Iíve ever found Signed was J37, J19 is Signed on the Fresno County side.  With J37 I suspect that navigation is so difficult and GPS data is so unreliable that Tulare County Maintained the signage.  Most J37 shields are fairly recent and were placed in the last decade or top based off the wear/fade they display. 

on: Today at 07:40:53 AM 
Started by seicer - Last post by seicer
Drivers worry with weight restrictions over Ohio River bridge

[...]

Inspectors found possible advanced deterioration and other irregularities on the Frank "Gunner" Gatski memorial bridge which connects East Huntington to Proctorville, Ohio.

The restriction only affects semis and other heavier loads.

[...]

This summer, inspectors with the West Virginia Department of Transportation found possible advanced deterioration in some of the cables as well as what they're calling irregularities in the structural elements for the bridge which opened in 1985.

on: Today at 07:37:41 AM 
Started by Grzrd - Last post by seicer
There have been plans out there to rebuild the I-265/64 interchange, and then the I-265/71 interchange, but now there are plans to reconstruct the I-265/65 interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.