AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 09:53:00 AM 
Started by Buffaboy - Last post by ET21
For a single freeway: Dan Ryan (I-90/94), 17 lanes. 3 locals, 4 express
For multiple freeways: I-355/I-88 side by side, 16 lanes at the widest point. I-88 has 5 eastbound, 4 west. I-355 has 3 northbound, 4 south.

on: Today at 09:41:18 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by SP Cook
JFK - JFK, who has been dead for half a century, conspiracy theroy-ism is born of a couple of things.  For the Vietnam draft dodgers, it is a way to fantasize that somehow their fearless left liberal leader would have gotten them off the hook.  For most everyone else, it it the idea that the USA is so great and grand that some nut with a rifle can't just have a lucky shot.  Reality:  JFK would have followed the exact same domestic and foreign policy as Johnson, to the same disastrous ends, and Oswald was just a good shot.  That simple.

Russia.  $6.8 BILLION was spent, directly, and another $2.8 BILLION by PAC (and many more uncounted billions by labor unions) on the election .  The idea that Russia could change the result by fake facebook posts is idiotic.  It was a close election.  That simple. 

Birther-ism.  Covered pretty well above.  The wisdom of the founders continues to amaze. 

on: Today at 09:39:20 AM 
Started by Buffaboy - Last post by webny99
In a similar example of lane reductions, the NJ Turnpike sounbound narrows from 6 lanes to 2 lanes in a span of just 2 exits. Both exits are single lane exits, none of which are 'Exit Only' exits!
I'm curious - what portion is this?
In this area, south of Interchange 6, it drops from 6 lanes to 3 lanes.  Zoom in to see the actual reductions. https://goo.gl/maps/RyRLrfLVZTP2
And in this area, adjacent to Interchange 4, it drops again from 3 lanes to 2 lanes, completing the 6 to 2 lane reduction.  https://goo.gl/maps/LFF7rUPUWJx

Because Philadelphia.
I wonder if a case has ever been made for widening to six lanes all the way from there to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Only ever driven that stretch once, and it was early morning. Traffic seemed to be light enough and flowing quite well.

on: Today at 09:36:29 AM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by webny99
A ramp is a lot different than a two-lane road, especially many miles of busy two-lane road with limited passing opportunities.
Geneseo, NY just barely qualifies if we're using 10,000, having a population of 10,483 as of 2016. I've often wished US 20A was four lanes between Geneseo and I-390. Not strictly necessary, but it is several miles and nearly impossible to pass, due to oncoming traffic and grade changes.

There have been some comments that a city of 10,000 shouldn't expect a four-lane connection to an interstate. What should the minimum size be for a city to deserve a four-lane connection? Surely 20,000, if not 15,000.

This thread is about metro areas, not suburbs lying between freeways or other 4-lane roads. I could see a case for cities or towns that are in the middle of nowhere and aren't part of a MSA, but not suburbs.

Basically, yes. Suburbs can't really count.
We're talking about having to pass through rural areas to get from the city to an interstate, and whether the corridor through said rural areas should be four-laned.

on: Today at 09:20:56 AM 
Started by kurumi - Last post by webny99
Don't know how I forgot the overlap of Stone Road and Tobey Road in Pittsford, NY.
This one is unique in that Stone ends at Tobey... and then Tobey continues as Stone.

on: Today at 09:14:27 AM 
Started by fillup420 - Last post by inkyatari
is it not just the hiking trail now?

All of Fall River Road from the east to the Alpine Visitor center is still a road.  West of that, it's now the Ute trail, hiking only.

I figured this out one time as I was looking through National Park map at the national archives website, and noticed a switchback was missing on the map.  Then I put two and two together, and sure enough, my suspicion proved correct.

on: Today at 09:08:55 AM 
Started by US71 - Last post by inkyatari
Chili ain't chili without beans!

Or hunks of meat. Cincinnati-style chili sucks.

I never thought Id miss any of the food in DC, but I really miss Hard Times Cafe.

BLASPHEMY! I LOVE Cincy style chili.  Of course, it's more of a Hungarian dish than a Tex-Mex dish.  That having been said, I like all chili.

We have a great chili place in Westmont, IL called Bishop's.  I love the food at this joint. 

on: Today at 09:04:28 AM 
Started by brad2971 - Last post by inkyatari
They're in early stages of construction of a DDI at I-55 and Weber Rd, in Bolingbrook / Romeoville, Illinois

on: Today at 08:59:20 AM 
Started by fillup420 - Last post by inkyatari

Then there's this old stretch of Fall River Road at Rocky Mountain NationalPark that, again,is a hiking trail..

https://goo.gl/maps/mCfAPofbW1n

I'm surprised that I missed the closed section of the Fall River Road.  Might have to check that one out the next time I get out to Trail Ridge.

Here's a 360 pic someone took on the trail.  It's pretty obvious here that it used to be a road..

https://goo.gl/maps/k9LEPr4Vhe52

on: Today at 08:56:27 AM 
Started by In_Correct - Last post by In_Correct
So about my original question: They will just leave the turnpikes alone, and if development happens, hundreds of meters away from the turnpikes, but can still be seen while driving on a turnpike, ... those places will have to use the other roads such as S.H. 66, go to the edge of the turnpike, or use the nearest toll ramp in the middle of the turnpike? I checked again of the type of development approaching The Turnpike. It is mostly residential. They are not cut in half by The Turnpike. There are bridges over The Turnpike. But I suppose that if there is insufficient commercial development, there would not need to be exit ramps to them. The residential areas would not have a lot of traffic either.

Also, do the cities with Interstate 44 going through them encourage sprawl to the expressways instead?

Except Lawton, which has almost no development east of The Turnpike. The smaller towns also avoid development anywhere near The Turnpike.

About the reason to not build light rail because of the low population density:

I originally thought that if the cities limited the development near and along a Turnpike, the cities might increase population density.

But about the roads on Street View:

Those roads are too narrow to have what they already have!  :-o

If they get widened, they should have turn lanes and shoulders. And perhaps the existing lanes should be widened. And sidewalks. But there does not seem to be that much room to do any widening. Are THESE roads considered ideal to add bike lanes and light rail?!

I am a fan of light rail, but hate the light rail system in Houston. It sounds like some people want to have something even WORSE than that. The light rail should be grade separated entirely, and certainly never share the same lanes as automobiles. And it must be at least double tracked.

If somebody wants to build a light rail for Tulsa, build them somewhere else, not on those example streets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.