AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 06:22:49 PM 
Started by index - Last post by adventurernumber1
Holy crap. I had no idea one of these things was in Chattanooga, Tennessee (which is in my neck of the woods). That's awesome!  :nod:

I've been there. The Chattanooga Choo Choo has two of them on a small trolley line that they have. Sadly, said line was taken out of service by the end of 2015, so they're pretty much just on static display now:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Tennessee/Chattanooga/Chattanooga_Choo_Choo/

Wow, that's very interesting! I am going to have to check that out sometime. Hopefully they will remain on display forever, or at least close enough to such.  :biggrin:

Holy crap. I had no idea one of these things was in Chattanooga, Tennessee (which is in my neck of the woods). That's awesome!  :nod:

The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum in Calera, AL has one on display that can be run by the push of a button, but it's not on the map for some reason:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/Calera/Heart_of_Dixie_Railroad_Museum/Crossing/

There's another on display that isn't marked on the map in Lynnville, TN, though I'm not sure if it works (there is a relay case near it, so it's possible):
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3770339,-87.0059207,3a,15y,27.89h,90.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGbUvuSsHBAPXQwSzbQ68fg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nice! I guess that map needs to be updated, then.  :nod:

on: Today at 06:10:16 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by english si
Here's an article on a restaurant that sells jellied eels AND pie 'n' mash!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/travel/eating-eels-london.html
Some snippets that shows that it's not easy:
one of the last surviving eel houses in London.
The bus ride to get here had been about 40 minutes

The author gets embarrassed that eel pies aren't on the menu, however a traditional pie and mash dish would be eel pie (and even the traditional meat was cheap cuts of mutton), but asking for such in an establishment that seems to thrive on tradition gets a very curt 'no' - though they do explain that it would be very expensive to make one nowadays.

It's possible to find eels and pie and mash, but then it's possible to find any food that's legal (so no dog meat, for instance) in London. For what was a local delicacy, you have to work hard to get them - it's easier to get Escargot than Eels.

on: Today at 06:07:34 PM 
Started by CapeCodder - Last post by renegade
Iowa:  The last time I went across on I-80, the speed limit was 65.  Iowa earned the nickname, "The God-forsaken State."  It took waay too long to get from the Quads to Omaha.

on: Today at 06:02:01 PM 
Started by Plutonic Panda - Last post by kkt
Many of the existing interstates were paid for largely with Federal money on the premise that they were for interstate commerce.  There aren't lots of similar quality routes around for drivers to take if a state or local government decides to run up the tolls sky high, there's a captive market.  They shouldn't be allowed high tolls that go to subsidize other routes.  Maybe to maintain or replace the route that's tolled.

Some states require that the minimum wage be paid to everyone, including servers in restaurants and similar tipped jobs.
Tipped jobs still have the same minimum wage, except tips may be counted towards the minimum wage, not just what the employer pays you. Some states have the minimum the employer pays you as less then minimum wage, but the employer must guarantee you make minimum wage after tips

In your state, maybe.

on: Today at 05:57:50 PM 
Started by Plutonic Panda - Last post by UCFKnights
Many of the existing interstates were paid for largely with Federal money on the premise that they were for interstate commerce.  There aren't lots of similar quality routes around for drivers to take if a state or local government decides to run up the tolls sky high, there's a captive market.  They shouldn't be allowed high tolls that go to subsidize other routes.  Maybe to maintain or replace the route that's tolled.

Some states require that the minimum wage be paid to everyone, including servers in restaurants and similar tipped jobs.
Tipped jobs still have the same minimum wage, except tips may be counted towards the minimum wage, not just what the employer pays you. Some states have the minimum the employer pays you as less then minimum wage, but the employer must guarantee you make minimum wage after tips

on: Today at 05:42:10 PM 
Started by theroadwayone - Last post by _Simon
It's not as if there already hasn't been 40+ years of public comment on the Breezewood situation; it certainly isn't hidden from public view!   It seems that in some quarters (particularly PTC and their fellow agencies) the status quo has been internalized (and likely, in some minds, amortized!); it's old news at this point.  If an outcry from the driving public would turn the tables in this situation, it would likely have happened by now.  It's possible that the solution would be to back up the Brinks' truck to Breezewood, offload part of its contents, then drive to Harrisburg and unload the rest!  Then one can argue about the format of the solution.
The political landscape is changing as the age of people in power shift.  All you need is a popular infotainment company like Vox or Wendover Productions to do one of their awesome "anomoly" videos on this and a whole new generation of social justice soldiers will spray PTC with their angst.  Let's not be defeatist here,  it's completely within our power as a message board to get the right people's attention on this issue by leveraging the power of the masses,  even if no one involved lives near Breezewood.

SM-G955U

on: Today at 05:33:58 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by 1995hoo
How do you order a cheesesteak in Philadelphia? ....

I seem to recall seeing this on a website somewhere. Still funny (and reasonably accurate, too, although the version I've seen doesn't say "frickin'").

on: Today at 05:31:18 PM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by leroy217
I would nominate I-64/55 in St.Louis....The worst I've ever been on!!

on: Today at 05:30:00 PM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by leroy217
Pick an IDOT maintained interstate, any IDOT maintained interstate.

Hey now, I-57 south of Mt Vernon is in pretty good shape.

A rarity.  I-55 in Will County or I-80 through the same is more typical.  How many other interstates routinely suffer holes in bridges?

I-80 is on the verge of a multimillion dollar overhaul....patience young grasshopper!!

on: Today at 05:28:14 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by abefroman329
I know a place that makes Geno's and Pat's look like amateurs, but I'm not telling you what it is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.