News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Bladen County is pushing for federal funding to widen NC-87 to 4 lanes between Elizabethtown and US-74.

http://www.bladenjournal.com/news/15979/peterson-wants-congressmans-help-with-n-c-87-expansion

QuoteLast week, during the Board of Commissioners' "matters of interest to commissioners,"  a simple request could have a tremendous, positive affect on Bladen County.

Commissioner Charles Ray Peterson asked County Manager to fashion a letter to U.S. Congressman Robert Pittenger asking that he support federal funding to extend N.C. 87 through the county and link up with U.S. 74.

"Robert Pittenger asked for our support in making U.S. 74 an interstate,"  Peterson said. "I thought, if we are talking about growing Bladen, then we need N.C. 87 to become four lane. So, while it appears he wants us to help, then he needs to help us grow Bladen by four-laning N.C. 87."

N.C. 87 now runs from the Cumberland County line through Tar Heel, Dublin and Elizabethtown – eanding at the Elizabethtown Industrial Park/Airport, where N.C. 87 meets East Broad Street.

There was a time, Peterson said, that the North Carolina Department of Transportation had money in the budget to finish N.C. 87 to U.S. 74, but it never materialized. He added the county has spoken with Drew Cox, the regional engineer for NCDOT, about extending N.C. 78, but it's been several years since the conversation had potential.

But now, Peterson said, would be a good time to revive those talks.

"Bladen has so much to offer,"  he added. "We have lots of vacant land on 87 and 211. We have natural gas and a railroad on N.C. 211. We have county water down both highways. We have the river on 87. It will make traveling from Wilmington to any destination better, quicker and easier. Houses will be built. Businesses will be build to support communities and travel."

Beyond the local potential for housing and business development, a four-lane N.C. 87 to U.S. 74 will have positives beyond Bladen County.

"It will have a great impact on Southeast North Carolina,"  Peterson offered. "If we could get N.C. 87 four-laned all the way to U.S. 74, it would give Bladen a gateway to the ports and other four-lane roads, which would open the doors for economic growth in Bladen.

"I think this would be the shot in the arm we need to grow Bladen,"  he added.

Peterson knows getting the funding for the project is a long-shot, but said it's worth fighting for.

" At the rate we are going it will never happen,"  he said. "But, If we could get federal support, the state might put it back in the DOT budget. We must continue to keep Bladen opportunities in front of all elected officials and state agencies.

" If we are to grow Bladen we need help from the federal and state government,"  he added. "People in Bladen deserve this opportunity. "
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on January 10, 2018, 10:58:13 AM
Bladen County is pushing for federal funding to widen NC-87 to 4 lanes between Elizabethtown and US-74.

http://www.bladenjournal.com/news/15979/peterson-wants-congressmans-help-with-n-c-87-expansion

QuoteLast week, during the Board of Commissioners' "matters of interest to commissioners,"  a simple request could have a tremendous, positive affect on Bladen County.

Commissioner Charles Ray Peterson asked County Manager to fashion a letter to U.S. Congressman Robert Pittenger asking that he support federal funding to extend N.C. 87 through the county and link up with U.S. 74.

"Robert Pittenger asked for our support in making U.S. 74 an interstate,"  Peterson said. "I thought, if we are talking about growing Bladen, then we need N.C. 87 to become four lane. So, while it appears he wants us to help, then he needs to help us grow Bladen by four-laning N.C. 87."

N.C. 87 now runs from the Cumberland County line through Tar Heel, Dublin and Elizabethtown – eanding at the Elizabethtown Industrial Park/Airport, where N.C. 87 meets East Broad Street.

There was a time, Peterson said, that the North Carolina Department of Transportation had money in the budget to finish N.C. 87 to U.S. 74, but it never materialized. He added the county has spoken with Drew Cox, the regional engineer for NCDOT, about extending N.C. 78, but it's been several years since the conversation had potential.

But now, Peterson said, would be a good time to revive those talks.

"Bladen has so much to offer,"  he added. "We have lots of vacant land on 87 and 211. We have natural gas and a railroad on N.C. 211. We have county water down both highways. We have the river on 87. It will make traveling from Wilmington to any destination better, quicker and easier. Houses will be built. Businesses will be build to support communities and travel."

Beyond the local potential for housing and business development, a four-lane N.C. 87 to U.S. 74 will have positives beyond Bladen County.

"It will have a great impact on Southeast North Carolina,"  Peterson offered. "If we could get N.C. 87 four-laned all the way to U.S. 74, it would give Bladen a gateway to the ports and other four-lane roads, which would open the doors for economic growth in Bladen.

"I think this would be the shot in the arm we need to grow Bladen,"  he added.

Peterson knows getting the funding for the project is a long-shot, but said it's worth fighting for.

" At the rate we are going it will never happen,"  he said. "But, If we could get federal support, the state might put it back in the DOT budget. We must continue to keep Bladen opportunities in front of all elected officials and state agencies.

" If we are to grow Bladen we need help from the federal and state government,"  he added. "People in Bladen deserve this opportunity. "

What am I missing here? NC 87 does not end at Elizabethtown, and it does meet US 74/76 at Delco, 37 miles farther southeast. This route was identified as a "strategic transportation corridor," which means NCDOT isn't opposed to improving it, but it is of course a question of priorities and funding.

michealbond

Elizabethtown wants NC87 to be 4-laned all the way to US74. Currently NC87 is only 2 lanes from directly south of Elizabethtown down to US74. The 4-laned portion of NC87 does end where the writer incorrectly states NC87 ends in its entirety.

Finrod

Give it time and they'll be asking for an Interstate number from Greensboro to Delco.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: mvak36 on October 25, 2017, 07:50:44 AM
Quote from: sparker on October 25, 2017, 04:56:10 AM
Quote from: LM117 on October 24, 2017, 07:59:17 AM
NCDOT is building a new I-26/US-74 interchange.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14511

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation is saddling up for serious construction.

The heavy lifting to build a new interchange at Interstate 26 and U.S. 74 in Polk County begins this month with the goal of providing a safer and smoother driving experience for all motorists, including visitors and participants of the 2018 World Equestrian Games.

"This is an important project to the area, one that has been needed for many years,"  Acting Division 14 Engineer Brian Burch said. "We're happy to get this project started and we'll be working on an accelerated schedule to complete it prior to the World Games."

The first phase of construction is to clear the project area in preparation of moving dirt and rocks and building embankments for the new roadway.  A creek channel change and 353-foot long concrete box culvert will be constructed during the early stages.

The new interchange, at a cost of $19 million, will separate through traffic from local traffic and be completed by Aug. 17, 2018, in time for visitors from across the globe to enjoy an event that is comparable to the Olympics.

Vecellio & Grogan, Inc DBA Sharpe Brothers, based in Beckley, W.V., will be creating a direct merge lane from U.S. 74 West to I-26 East, which will eliminate the need for drivers to navigate two roundabouts. It will also build a new ramp from I-26 West to U.S. 74 and it will include two bridges and eight retaining walls.

Multiple operations will be performed at the same time in order to finish the job ahead of the completion date.  There will be times in which work will be performed around the clock utilizing multiple crews.

Lane closures and lane shifts will be in place at various times during construction on both I-26 and U.S. 74. Drivers need to adjust their travel times, be aware in this work zone and obey all posted signs and flagging instructions.

"We are pleased to be improving area transportation in time for the World Games,"  Burch said, "It's also an improvement that will have a lasting positive impact on residents and visitors for many years to come."

Hmmmm......wonder if this is the opening salvo regarding the much bandied-about upgrading of US 74 to Interstate standards (and then seeing about getting a I-designation; after all, this is NC!).
I think that the interchange is already interestate standard. It's only putting in the missing freeway to freeway movements.

iPhone

Can anyone venture a guess as to how/why US 74 east is going to have two exit numbers? The exit will be signed as Exit 66 from I-26 WB, but NCDOT isn't updating the signage on I-26 EB. It will remain as Exit 67. They're also eliminating the right travel lane on US 74 EB to accommodate the new ramp from I-26 WB.

I-4729A Signing Plan

wdcrft63

WRAL-TV in Raleigh had a story tonight about two upcoming major projects in the area. These are both Design-Build projects, and NCDOT has started the process of seeking companies that are interested in bidding. Both projects could be under contract by late 2018. They are:

(1) Widen I-40 from 4 lanes to 8 lanes between I-440 and NC 42, including the interchange with US 70/Future I-42. The diamond interchange at NC 42 will be replaced by a DDI.

(2) Widen I-440 from 4 lanes to 6-8 lanes between Wade Avenue and I-40 on the west side of Raleigh. The obsolete interchange with Western Avenue (it includes a nasty merge from the left into SB I-440). will be replaced by a DDI, but I don't know what the decision is on the interchange with Wade Avenue; there were several very different possibilities there at the time of public hearings.

LM117

A contract has been awarded for the construction of the NC-540/Morrisville Parkway interchange.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14759

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $15.2 million contract to create a new interchange on the Triangle Expressway at Morrisville Parkway between Green Level West Road and N.C. 55 near mile marker 64.

The new project, awarded to Barnhill Contracting Co. of Rocky Mount, can begin as early as January 29. It will extend the parkway to the bridge from west of Highcroft Drive on the east side, and from east to near Mills Park Elementary School. It will also add ramps for the interchange, as well as signs and tolling infrastructure.

Construction would link the two sections of the road that are now separated by the expressway with a four-lane roadway. This added interchange was in the planning stages when the expressway was built, so part of that project was the building of a bridge over the expressway to minimize impacts to motorists during the interchange construction.

The new interchange is expected to be open for traffic in late 2019, with additional vegetation work to go to late March 2020.

The project is being built through a partnership with the Town of Cary, the N.C. Department of Transportation and the N.C. Turnpike Authority. The Town worked with the NCDOT and NCTA on the required designs and environmental studies. The new interchange is expected to improve connectivity in western Cary and help alleviate congestion on nearby roads, as drivers who want to use the Triangle Expressway will not have to travel to the existing interchanges at Green Level West Road and N.C. 55. Traffic along Morrisville Parkway is projected to increase from 11,850 vehicles per day in 2017 to 23,005 vehicles per day in 2037.

The interchange was requested by local transportation planners, and included in the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) Long Range Transportation Plan and will improve mobility for current traffic, as well as for much larger volumes of traffic anticipated as a result of substantial growth/development.

This is the second interchange to be added along North Carolina's first modern toll road since its final phase opened in 2013. The Morrisville Parkway interchange will provide additional access to the Triangle Expressway, similar to the Veridea Parkway interchange in Holly Springs, which opened to traffic in April 2017.

In other news, an upcoming public meeting will be held concerning two sections of the US-74 Shelby Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14758

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation will hold a public meeting next week regarding two sections of the Shelby Bypass project in Cleveland County.

Section D will extend the bypass from west of N.C. 150 to U.S. 74, west of Long Branch Road. Section E will continue the bypass from U.S. 74 west of Long Branch Road to west of Stony Point Road at U.S. 74 Business in Kings Mountain.

The meeting will be held Thursday, Jan. 18 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Elizabeth Baptist Church, 301 North Post Road in Shelby. Interested citizens may attend the meeting at any time to view maps of the recommended alternatives for both sections and meet project team members, as no formal presentation will be made. Comments can be submitted at the meeting or by phone, mail, or email through Feb. 19, 2018.

For additional information about the proposed project, please contact Jackie McSwain, NCDOT Division 12 Project Engineer at jmcswain@ncdot.gov, (980) 552-4208, or Joe Kelvington, NCDOT Consultant Project Manager at joseph.kevington@stantec.com, or (919) 865-7390.

Finrod

Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 12, 2018, 07:01:03 PM
(1) Widen I-40 from 4 lanes to 8 lanes between I-440 and NC 42, including the interchange with US 70/Future I-42. The diamond interchange at NC 42 will be replaced by a DDI.

I believe I-40 is currently 6 lanes from I-440 to US 70/Business 70.  Glad to see this widening planned to be executed soon, it's always been busy every time I've gone through there.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Finrod on January 13, 2018, 03:33:59 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 12, 2018, 07:01:03 PM

I believe I-40 is currently 6 lanes from I-440 to US 70/Business 70.  Glad to see this widening planned to be executed soon, it's always been busy every time I've gone through there.

That's correct. The 4-lane section from US 70/Business 70 to US 70/Future I-42 is a horrible bottleneck at rush hour and lots of other times as well.

wdcrft63

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation will hold a public meeting next week regarding two sections of the Shelby Bypass project in Cleveland County.

Section D will extend the bypass from west of N.C. 150 to U.S. 74, west of Long Branch Road. Section E will continue the bypass from U.S. 74 west of Long Branch Road to west of Stony Point Road at U.S. 74 Business in Kings Mountain.

The meeting will be held Thursday, Jan. 18 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Elizabeth Baptist Church, 301 North Post Road in Shelby. Interested citizens may attend the meeting at any time to view maps of the recommended alternatives for both sections and meet project team members, as no formal presentation will be made. Comments can be submitted at the meeting or by phone, mail, or email through Feb. 19, 2018.

For additional information about the proposed project, please contact Jackie McSwain, NCDOT Division 12 Project Engineer at jmcswain@ncdot.gov, (980) 552-4208, or Joe Kelvington, NCDOT Consultant Project Manager at joseph.kevington@stantec.com, or (919) 865-7390.
[/quote]

These two sections will complete the project. Construction is scheduled for 2021. Here's the site for the project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us74bypass/

Mppheel

Just got back to Greenville NC from a cruise out of Charleston. 2 things I saw.... Really bad pavement on 95 in SC north of Manning.

Also, why is the interchange between 95 and NC 24 in Fayetteville such a large interchange?  There are never more than a few cars using the exit.  Was something planned, but never built ?
The other exits are much more simple on that stretch of 95

sparker

Quote from: Mppheel on January 16, 2018, 10:50:47 PM
Just got back to Greenville NC from a cruise out of Charleston. 2 things I saw.... Really bad pavement on 95 in SC north of Manning.

Also, why is the interchange between 95 and NC 24 in Fayetteville such a large interchange?  There are never more than a few cars using the exit.  Was something planned, but never built ?

I-95 is a very old and underpowered freeway within much of NC; it never seems to have garnered as much attention (officially and otherwise) -- although it seems that plans to upgrade the corridor have gotten off the blocks as of late (whether any actual projects have been let is something I'm not personally aware of).  As far as the NC 24 interchange is concerned, you have a good point regarding its seeming overbuilding -- a cloverleaf with C/D lanes in both directions; NC 24 is controlled (not limited) access for about a mile in either direction from I-95 (the first intersection on the east side features an interesting configuration using J-turns).  Whether originally conceived as the main access point to downtown Fayetteville or as a more extensive NC 24 freeway or expressway is something for NC posters to answer a bit more definitively!

slorydn1

Quote from: sparker on January 17, 2018, 02:05:43 AM
Quote from: Mppheel on January 16, 2018, 10:50:47 PM

I-95 is a very old and underpowered freeway within much of NC; it never seems to have garnered as much attention (officially and otherwise) -- although it seems that plans to upgrade the corridor have gotten off the blocks as of late (whether any actual projects have been let is something I'm not personally aware of).  As far as the NC 24 interchange is concerned, you have a good point regarding its seeming overbuilding -- a cloverleaf with C/D lanes in both directions; NC 24 is controlled (not limited) access for about a mile in either direction from I-95 (the first intersection on the east side features an interesting configuration using J-turns).  Whether originally conceived as the main access point to downtown Fayetteville or as a more extensive NC 24 freeway or expressway is something for NC posters to answer a bit more definitively!

This is not the definitive answer, but I think alot of it has to do with when that section of I-95 was built. IIRC the section east of Fayetteville between the ends of Green 95 was the last portion of I-95 to be completed in NC in the late 70's/early 80's (too lazy to look it up right now) and the two main exits (NC-87 and NC-24) both have the C/D + cloverleaf set up. I can only guess the state was planning for expansion to the east of Fayetteville that never really materialized (?)
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

NCDOT has updated the schedule for NC-540's extension to I-40.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14760

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on January 12, 2018, 07:50:06 PMIn other news, an upcoming public meeting will be held concerning two sections of the US-74 Shelby Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14758

That meeting has been postponed.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14766

Quote(Editor's Note: Due to inclement weather, the public meeting scheduled for Thursday Jan. 18 will be postponed. NCDOT will announce a new meeting date when it is scheduled. Below is the original press release from Jan. 12.)

index

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 10, 2018, 12:13:38 AM
I thought they had plans to convert that interchange to a DDI to help out with traffic on race weekends.

That would probably be up in Concord, the interchange/intersection here is for Concord Mills, which is just a mall. If a DDI is the case, I don't know much about what's going on up there.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Avalanchez71

Quote from: michealbond on January 11, 2018, 01:12:00 PM
Elizabethtown wants NC87 to be 4-laned all the way to US74. Currently NC87 is only 2 lanes from directly south of Elizabethtown down to US74. The 4-laned portion of NC87 does end where the writer incorrectly states NC87 ends in its entirety.
They will probably ask AASHTO to number that as US 801 or US 3 or US 464.

Avalanchez71

Actually I think SR 87 is a perfect candidate to become US 421W.

froggie

Won't happen.  AASHTO's US highway policy prohibits any new split/suffixed US routes (unless it's an "A" which stands for Alternate) and encourages removal of existing split/suffixed routes.

Same policy also prohibits any new intrastate routes less than 300 miles long.  So unless they figure out a way to logically extend it into South Carolina, they likely won't even bother asking.

Avalanchez71

They allowed I-69C, I-69E and I-69W.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

Actually if connect VA 87 to NC 87 you could make it US 420.

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 18, 2018, 03:07:01 PM
They allowed I-69C, I-69E and I-69W.

AASHTO can be overruled by Congress and forced to accept a number that violates their policy–heck, they could call a route "Interstate Avalanchez71" and it'd be up to FHWA, AASHTO, and/or the states to figure out how to sign it. Hence the I-69 RGV suffixes, I-99, etc.

Avalanchez71

Tennessee is flush with directional suffixed US highways.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 18, 2018, 04:37:22 PM
Tennessee is flush with directional suffixed US highways.

Which preceded AASHTO's "non-suffix" policy, dating from the late 1970's; existing suffixed US routes were permitted to remain (AASHTO had no intention or desire to disrupt regional navigation idioms) -- but no new suffixed numbers could be designated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.