News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

GribbleNation Roadgeek Meetings page

Started by getemngo, October 07, 2013, 07:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getemngo

I'm the new maintainer of GribbleNation's Roads Meets Gateway! The page has been abandoned since January, though it hasn't had a real update since 2010. Not surprising when the payoff is low. But I'm a nerd, and I like doing this kind of thing. Documenting what our community does, or something like that.

My goal over the next couple months is to get an exact date, city, and group photo for every meet, along with some layout changes and bringing the code up to current standards.

What I want to know right now is: excluding 2013, are there any meets that are not mentioned on the page at all?

Known or suspected omissions:

• tons of PA meets - were there any in 2000 or 2001?
  • Charlotte 2003 is the first Carolina meet listed, but was supposedly the 6th to happen. Where did the first 5 go?
  • Was there a Greensboro, NC meet in fall 2003?
  • alleged Canadian meet in 2006 - Hamilton was 2005, Orillia was 2007
  • Orlando, 2006
  • the Texas meet that H.B. mentioned
  • Marquette, MI mini meet, 9/11/2010
  • New Haven, 7/23/2011
  • Kalamazoo, 10/22/2011

Right now all I want is the city and exact date, or the closest you know. I'm working on the list first and photos later, and I'll be contacting some of you privately for photos.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

I've listed all the meets I have pages for on my main Roads page, so you can check the list and make sure those are all on there as a start.

hbelkins

No group photo for Texas, which occurred on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2010. It was technically a Dallas meet, but we ate lunch in Arlington. I remember it was the same day as the Cotton Bowl was being played because traffic and parking along FM 175 was a pain.

If there was a Greensboro meet in the fall of 2003, I didn't go. I did attend a Greensboro meet in the fall of 2007.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OracleUsr

Yes, there was a Fall 2003 meet...I think it was Halloween weekend (Nov 1st?)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

getemngo

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 07, 2013, 11:35:07 PM
Yes, there was a Fall 2003 meet...I think it was Halloween weekend (Nov 1st?)

After much digging through misc.transport.road, I found a post from Adam Prince on October 28, 2003 referring to the meet as "last weekend." Then I found a page about it on Gribblenation:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  Why there was no link to it from the actual page for meets, I have no idea.

Funnily enough, there's an announcement for the debut of Alps' Roads 6 days later, on October 31!

But really, folks... don't go reading 10 year old m.t.r. posts unless you have a really good reason.
~ Sam from Michigan

Duke87

Not on your list:

Northern NJ take 1, hosted by Steve Alpert 2/5/2011
ICC phase 1, hosted by Froggie 3/6/2011
Northern NJ take 2, hosted by Adam Moss 3/12/2011
ICC phase 2 take 1, hosted by Laura Bianca 11/26/2011
ICC phase 2 take 2, hosted by Steve Alpert 12/4/2011
Delaware Water Gap, hosted by Adam Moss 3/24/2012
Ottawa take 2, hosted by Carl Tessier 9/29/2012

I was at a couple more that were invite-only and another that was totally impromptu and unannounced, I presume we're not including those.

Also, a correction: Steve was involved in the Montreal meet 5/28/2011 but Carl Tessier (DrFrankenstein) was the official host.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Takumi

The Richmond, VA meet last year was hosted by me, Michael Elmore.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 08, 2013, 10:31:51 PM
Not on your list:

Northern NJ take 1, hosted by Steve Alpert 2/5/2011
ICC phase 1, hosted by Froggie 3/6/2011
Northern NJ take 2, hosted by Adam Moss 3/12/2011
ICC phase 2 take 1, hosted by Laura Bianca 11/26/2011
ICC phase 2 take 2, hosted by Steve Alpert 12/4/2011
Delaware Water Gap, hosted by Adam Moss 3/24/2012
Ottawa take 2, hosted by Carl Tessier 9/29/2012

I was at a couple more that were invite-only and another that was totally impromptu and unannounced, I presume we're not including those.

Also, a correction: Steve was involved in the Montreal meet 5/28/2011 but Carl Tessier (DrFrankenstein) was the official host.
I would give Laura credit for both "takes" of ICC Phase 2. She was there for both.

froggie

Missing:  a Hampton Roads mini-meet I hosted, 2004ish (don't remember exactly when, but IIRC Adam Prince has a photo or three).

There was also a SWPA meet prior to 2005 that was held in the wintertime, at Quaker Steak in Cranberry.  I remember this because I "crashed" it on a long detour back to Norfolk from Syracuse.  My photo collection (none taken at the meet...I only stayed for the lunch) pegs the date as December 27, 2003.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on October 09, 2013, 01:19:09 AM
Missing:  a Hampton Roads mini-meet I hosted, 2004ish (don't remember exactly when, but IIRC Adam Prince has a photo or three).
Check with me on photos for that meet, too.  I'm not sure I have a group photo, but can dig through my film archives (this was before I switched to digital) once I'm back home in a few weeks.

Many of the meet group photos posted on this forum are mine, and can be used without further request.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alex

The Orlando road meet was held on July 29, 2006 in College Park. The eatery where we went (Alphonso's Pizza) is now Ragazzi's per GSV.

In attendance were myself, Justin Cozart, Gene Janczynskyi, Hector, Rob Droz and Dan Moraseski.

The main tour stop was the Old Lake Wilson Road overpass to see construction of the south end stack between Florida 429 Toll and I-4:

It being summer, a thunderstorm fired up as we stood under the partially completed flyover.

NE2

There was also a stop at the (now-gone) I-4 Florida shield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on October 09, 2013, 11:31:25 AM
There was also a stop at the (now-gone) I-4 Florida shield.

I forgot about that. We did that after Rob, Gene and Hector left. We also checked out Lynx Central Station in addition to driving around the Dismal World roads.

getemngo

Quote from: oscar on October 09, 2013, 03:15:18 AM
Many of the meet group photos posted on this forum are mine, and can be used without further request.

Thank you! My policy is not to put any photos on Gribblenation without the permission of the photographer, even though it's probably okay with most of you. Common courtesy. I don't have a problem, however, with putting external links to anything on Flickr or roadgeeks' personal websites, giving them full credit.
~ Sam from Michigan

CanesFan27

Quote from: getemngo on October 07, 2013, 07:55:13 PM
I'm the new maintainer of GribbleNation's Roads Meets Gateway! The page has been abandoned since January, though it hasn't had a real update since 2010. Not surprising when the payoff is low. But I'm a nerd, and I like doing this kind of thing. Documenting what our community does, or something like that.

My goal over the next couple months is to get an exact date, city, and group photo for every meet, along with some layout changes and bringing the code up to current standards.

What I want to know right now is: excluding 2013, are there any meets that are not mentioned on the page at all?

Known or suspected omissions:

• tons of PA meets - were there any in 2000 or 2001?
  • Charlotte 2003 is the first Carolina meet listed, but was supposedly the 6th to happen. Where did the first 5 go?
  • Was there a Greensboro, NC meet in fall 2003?
  • alleged Canadian meet in 2006 - Hamilton was 2005, Orillia was 2007
  • Orlando, 2006
  • the Texas meet that H.B. mentioned
  • Marquette, MI mini meet, 9/11/2010
  • New Haven, 7/23/2011
  • Kalamazoo, 10/22/2011

Right now all I want is the city and exact date, or the closest you know. I'm working on the list first and photos later, and I'll be contacting some of you privately for photos.

Yes we had a number of NC meets between 2000-03. No idea on photos - sure I have them in the attic somewhere. Making meet pages wasnt a big thing then. And that doesn't even include the somewhat regular getogethers for dinner on a weeknight we had during the same time period.

Yes we also had numerous meets in SWPA during the same time period...see same reasons.

hbelkins

Bumping this thread because I brought it up on the Meets board.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

And Sam is promising to attend the Columbus Road meet on Saturday... :wave:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

dgolub

The link that you provided seems to be broken.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.