News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stop signs that make no sense

Started by Molandfreak, September 18, 2014, 04:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2015, 06:16:01 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 06, 2015, 06:14:12 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2015, 06:04:02 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 06, 2015, 08:21:46 AM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 06, 2015, 01:41:45 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on July 06, 2015, 01:07:12 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 05, 2015, 02:42:02 PM
From the Fisher Price parking garage, of course:

Hey, I remember having one of those!

My grandmother had one too.

No statement has ever made me feel more old than that one...

That makes two of us. That toy came out in 1970. How old's your Grandma, Ballistic Wolf?

Well she is from the late 30s but the toy was bought for her kids I think.

Oh okay. Your original statement sort of implies that your Grandma was the one using it.

Oh sorry now that I look at it it did imply that  :-|

I love how this conversation turned from bad stop sign configurations to an old Fisher Price toy.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Roadrunner75

That makes two of us. That toy came out in 1970. How old's your Grandma, Ballistic Wolf?

Oh okay. Your original statement sort of implies that your Grandma was the one using it.
I just took it that he was mocking all of us old fogies on here.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 06, 2015, 06:18:05 PM

I just took it that he was mocking all of us old fogies on here.

That's *exactly* what I was thinking...  :-D
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Signal

empirestate

How about this example, where at an intersection with three approaches, one has a STOP sign, one a YIELD sign, and one has nothing at all. How is that supposed to work?

Big John

^^ It's not supposed to work

MUTCD section 2B.04:

11 Except as provided in Section 2B.09, STOP signs and YIELD signs shall not be installed on different approaches to the same unsignalized intersection if those approaches conflict with or oppose each other.

And the provisions in 2B.09 don't apply here.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: empirestate on July 08, 2015, 10:56:18 PM
How about this example, where at an intersection with three approaches, one has a STOP sign, one a YIELD sign, and one has nothing at all. How is that supposed to work?

One traffic way has ROW while the other doesn't.

empirestate

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 08, 2015, 11:27:51 PM

Which is which? And what about the third? And what happens when two motorists approach the STOP and YIELD signs simultaneously (which happened to me yesterday)?

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on July 09, 2015, 08:32:21 AM

Which is which? And what about the third? And what happens when two motorists approach the STOP and YIELD signs simultaneously (which happened to me yesterday)?

Mexican standoff!

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on July 09, 2015, 08:32:21 AM

Growing up, there was a 3-way intersection with this very configuration we would go thru all the time on the way to my Grandparent's house.  It was basically a Y intersection.  Think of the Y as 6:00 at the bottom, 10:00 to the left, and 2:00 to the right.  The main movement went between 6 & 10.  10 had no sign, and 6 had a yield sign, and the only real purpose of yielding was to turn left if traffic coming from 10 was turning left.  The traffic coming from 2:00 had the stop sign.  Honestly, I always thought it worked well.

This was all wiped out years ago when they reconfigured the intersection and put in a traffic light.

(Edited to say: I just looked it up on Historic Aerials and it was actually more of a T intersection than a Y intersection.  It still worked well though!

roadfro

Me too. That was one of my favorite toys, before I grew up to Hot Wheels cars and Matchbox road sets...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

lordsutch

Here's a good one in Macon: two legs controlled by a stop sign, one by a yield sign, and one by nothing at all.

One presumes that the yield sign is there to remind people turning left that they have to yield to traffic coming from the right on the through route, but I don't believe it's a valid use of the sign.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: lordsutch on July 10, 2015, 12:41:44 AM
Here's a good one in Macon: two legs controlled by a stop sign, one by a yield sign, and one by nothing at all.

One presumes that the yield sign is there to remind people turning left that they have to yield to traffic coming from the right on the through route, but I don't believe it's a valid use of the sign.

If they removed the yield sing altogether it would probably work fine.

SignGeek101

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 10, 2015, 09:26:10 AM
Quote from: lordsutch on July 10, 2015, 12:41:44 AM

If they removed the yield sing altogether it would probably work fine.

That's what I thought. I don't it needs to be there, even if it's for the need to remind people turning left to yield to the people approaching on the through route.

slorydn1

As did I....

I would stage multi-vehicle crashes at the gore point where the ramps from the first and second deck merged with multitudes of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars!

Then I had to use the ladder from my Tonka fire truck to rescue the "people" by pulling the other cars off the first one, LOL. No wonder I am in the line of work I am now.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

freebrickproductions

This stop sign on Big Cove Road in Huntsville, AL near Huntsville Hospital is probably the most useless stop sign in the city, if not the world. Traffic turning right here is supposed to do so without stopping (due to the sign underneath the stop sign) and if traffic were to turn left, they'd just reach a useless stub that leads to an empty lot.
Pointless Stop Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
The stub:
Other approaches:

And here it is on Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7198997,-86.5726838,3a,75y,275.61h,90.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slSQsWcJVHRJcMQTz4-qtbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadfro

Yeah, that is useless, and completely devalues the stop sign. If anything ever goes in where that stub is, and the full stop is needed on this end of the T, the stop sign will likely be ignored for a while...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

roadman65

In Orlando we have a full stop sign on WB Carrier Drive just west of Kirkman Road that could really use a yield sign.  Its on a shallow angle and no sight distance issue.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.