News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

For Steve Alps

Started by ctsignguy, October 13, 2014, 08:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

Hey Steve.....on your US 44 Page, you had wondered about some old modified BGS signs....

Think i have the answer for you....found one of these signs in a local maintenance yard....

Before:

After the I-84 was unbolted off:

But upon inspection there seemed to be a hint of something else underneath......so upon careful removal....

Unfortunately, it was straight stickied on the sign, otherwise i might have tried to remove it.

But you can confirm your thought that somewhere the spirit of I-86 was there
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Pete from Boston

Wow, not only superb memory and superb luck, but an 86 in the flesh!  Incredible! 

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Forgive me, but exactly is the big deal about I-86?
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

froggie

QuoteForgive me, but exactly is the big deal about I-86?

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/i86.html

In short, what is now I-84 east of East Hartford was numbered I-86 from (official FHWA dates) June 1971 to December 1984.

Pete from Boston

This I-86 designation hasn't existed since  1984.  There is not much evidence of it left, including just photos. 

ctsignguy

i am sitting on a pair of I-86 shields....both 24x24 wood  (I know of two others in other collections...sized in the 21x18 'cute shield'....)

.....other than a few surviving signs, a few photos and some old maps from that time-frame, sadly I-86 in Connecticut and Massachusetts is quickly receding deep into the realm of 'beyond immediate recall'...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

NE2

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 13, 2014, 08:04:53 PM
.....other than a few surviving signs, a few photos and some old maps from that time-frame, sadly I-86 in Connecticut and Massachusetts is quickly receding deep into the realm of 'beyond immediate recall'...
Don't forget the collateral: NH 286.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 13, 2014, 08:28:21 AM

Unfortunately, it was straight stickied on the sign, otherwise i might have tried to remove it.

WOW, can you send me a copy of that pic? I'd love to have it in my collection!
Just to look at.

Wasn't there also an old I-86 shield being reused on the back of another I-84 shield at one of the rest areas?

What did the guys there at the sign shop think when they found it? Were they excited or couldn't care less?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ctsignguy

Quote from: doofy103 on October 13, 2014, 11:54:06 PM

Just to look at

Wasn't there also an old I-86 shield being reused on the back of another I-84 shield at one of the rest areas?

What did the guys there at the sign shop think when they found it? Were they excited or couldn't care less?

You can copy the image I am sure....if you can't, message me and I'll email you the piccy....

Yes there was (I think Ian got that picture a few years ago), but my travels never took me that way to see if it was still there....

As for the head of the depot, let's say he was very surprised and admitted he had all but forgotten I-86 even existed in Connecticut (afterall, it was abolished 30 years ago!...it may have been abolished prior to his starting work with the department.)

In a way I wish I had either a vehicle big enough to haul it, or the ability to cut the 86 out.......but I guess it will go down as a terrific find.....

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 16, 2014, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on October 13, 2014, 11:54:06 PM

Just to look at

You can copy the image I am sure....if you can't, message me and I'll email you the piccy....

Yes there was (I think Ian got that picture a few years ago), but my travels never took me that way to see if it was still there....

As for the head of the depot, let's say he was very surprised and admitted he had all but forgotten I-86 even existed in Connecticut (afterall, it was abolished 30 years ago!...it may have been abolished prior to his starting work with the department.)

In a way I wish I had either a vehicle big enough to haul it, or the ability to cut the 86 out.......but I guess it will go down as a terrific find.....

Let's say someone had such a vehicle, someone who might have a visibly demonstrated interest in that particular road...

amroad17

That is an incredible find and an incredible bit of luck.  Excellent job, sir!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

I find it amusing they used a state-named I-84 but a neutered I-86. Given the evolution of signage I would normally have expected the reverse.

Outstanding find either way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Billy F 1988

That's interesting that CT 74 covered US 44. So there could be a plausible explaination that US 44 duplexed with I-86 before the duplex was reassigned as CT 74 and I-84. It's funny how they bolted two 84's over the top of the 86 and just one CT 74 shield over US 44.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

But upon inspection there seemed to be a hint of something else underneath......so upon careful removal....

I WANT THIS SIGN I WILL PAY MONEY

Alps

In unrelated news, how do you want me to credit you for the photo? (And may I use it on my site for explanation?)

ctsignguy

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2014, 12:58:59 AM
In unrelated news, how do you want me to credit you for the photo? (And may I use it on my site for explanation?)

Yes, and absolutely please use them on your site!

akotchi

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2014, 06:27:27 PM
I find it amusing they used a state-named I-84 but a neutered I-86. Given the evolution of signage I would normally have expected the reverse.

I did not find a requirement one way or the other, but I think I-shields on guide signs normally do not carry the state name (let's leave New Jersey out of this), so the I-86 would be neutered.  The overlay is an independent shield, so it would be more likely (then) to have the state name.

That's the logic that makes sense to me, anyway.  If anyone has more definitive evidence of the standard of the time, feel free to chime in.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 20, 2014, 07:58:36 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2014, 12:58:59 AM

Yes, and absolutely please use them on your site!

How do you want me to credit you? (Name, pseudonym, first only, first/last,...)

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on October 20, 2014, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2014, 06:27:27 PM

I did not find a requirement one way or the other, but I think I-shields on guide signs normally do not carry the state name (let's leave New Jersey out of this), so the I-86 would be neutered.  The overlay is an independent shield, so it would be more likely (then) to have the state name.

That's the logic that makes sense to me, anyway.  If anyone has more definitive evidence of the standard of the time, feel free to chime in.
Each state goes its own way on that. I've seen state-name shields on guide signs here in Washington, but not standalone. Connecticut you can certainly find both, just depends on the age of the sign.

D-Dey65

Any chance we can revive this thread? Because I tried to send this to you way back in 2010 in an e-mail and I got a mailer daemon.

Regarding your page on Montauk Highway:
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/cr_80/

The Michael Summa photo at this link;
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/cr_80/98e.jpg

is at the west end of Frowein Road, not the east.

Note the right-turn ramp onto Moriches-Middle Island Road, the fact that this section is one-way, the embankment off to the left for the eastbound Montauk Highway, and the fact that westbound Montauk Highway off in the distance goes to the upper-right-hand corner of the picture. This couldn't possibly be the east end.

Sadly, this at-grade interchange was eliminated in the early-21st Century.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.