Utica/Rome Meet - May 2, 2015

Started by vdeane, December 30, 2014, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

I will not be able to make this one.  I'll be in Massachusetts visiting family that weekend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on April 12, 2015, 10:27:01 PM
As I mentioned on Facebook, if lunch starts at 11 I'll be skipping lunch and meeting people for the tour. I cannot within reason make it to Utica by 11. Even making it there by noon is pushing it in terms of how early I have to wake up.
Weak. I can easily get up at 7 for roads.

vdeane

Given everything, I think I'll just keep it at noon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on April 13, 2015, 06:31:27 PM
As I mentioned on Facebook, if lunch starts at 11 I'll be skipping lunch and meeting people for the tour. I cannot within reason make it to Utica by 11. Even making it there by noon is pushing it in terms of how early I have to wake up.

I got up at 6:00 AM for Scranton.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 13, 2015, 06:31:27 PM

Given that I'm not driving straight there (how boring!), I'd be leaving at 6 to make it there at 11. Which would mean waking up at 5:30. There was a time when I could do that, but that was a time when my normal routine had me waking up at 6:30 anyway. My normal routine now involves waking up at 8:30-9. Drag me out of bed before 7 and I guarantee you I'll be comatose.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

signalman

I've decided to get my meet attending feet wet with this meet.  I've wanted to attend a road meet for quite some time, but have never been able to go for one reason or another.  May 2 is free and clear on my calendar and Utica is a part of NY that I've never been to.  I am also looking forward to clinching I-88 on the way up as well as visiting a few new counties in NY.  I'm definitely in for this meet and am looking forward to it!  :D  I'll be RSVPing on Facebook in a few moments too.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on April 18, 2015, 09:54:27 AM
I've decided to get my meet attending feet wet with this meet.  I've wanted to attend a road meet for quite some time, but have never been able to go for one reason or another.  May 2 is free and clear on my calendar and Utica is a part of NY that I've never been to.  I am also looking forward to clinching I-88 on the way up as well as visiting a few new counties in NY.  I'm definitely in for this meet and am looking forward to it!  :D  I'll be RSVPing on Facebook in a few moments too.
Since you're from North Jersey, any interest in carpooling?

signalman

Quote from: Alps on April 19, 2015, 11:34:37 PM
Sure.  I was planning on an all Interstate route up and back (boring, I know, but it's a long way up and back).  Since I previously mentioned that I wanted to clinch I-88 on the way up, I was planning to take 80>380>81>88>Thruway east to the next exit for 890 west for a clinch of that too>Thruway west.  The goog has that at 5 hours, 15 minutes of drive time.  Factoring in at least one stop to pee and stretch that would mean leaving at 6 in order to make it to Utica by noon.  For a return trip, I know that I'll be tired.  So I was planning the most direct routing of Thruway east/south>287>80.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on April 20, 2015, 01:52:22 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 19, 2015, 11:34:37 PM
Sure.  I was planning on an all Interstate route up and back (boring, I know, but it's a long way up and back).  Since I previously mentioned that I wanted to clinch I-88 on the way up, I was planning to take 80>380>81>88>Thruway east to the next exit for 890 west for a clinch of that too>Thruway west.  The goog has that at 5 hours, 15 minutes of drive time.  Factoring in at least one stop to pee and stretch that would mean leaving at 6 in order to make it to Utica by noon.  For a return trip, I know that I'll be tired.  So I was planning the most direct routing of Thruway east/south>287>80.  Please let me know your thoughts.
We can talk offline. I don't yet know what I'm doing for that weekend myself, I'm staying a "maybe" as long as possible.

vdeane

As I posted to Facebook: I plan to make the reservation for the restaurant on Tuesday evening. I intend to have a couple extra seats reserved for last minute attendees, but it would be best to RSVP by then. I'll make the tour notes at Staples on Wednesday when I go grocery shopping.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

Well, I'd say that my first road meet was a success.  I had a great time and it was cool to meet those who attended.  Thanks for hosting, Valerie.  Also, a thanks to Mark Sinsabaugh for driving (not sure if he's a member here or not, if he is, I don't know his handle).  I would have driven on the tour if need be, but I didn't really want to.

Roadgeek Adam

The regular group photo:

Kneeling: Adam Moss (me - NJ)
Row: Doug Kerr (NY), Chris Jordan (NY), David Golub (NY), Valerie Deane (NY), Bill Allen (NJ), C. P. Zillacus (MD), Mark Sinsabaugh (NY), Anthony Costanzo (NY).

The not serious photo:

Not only do I look idiotic, I threw out my neck doing that.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

You all forgot the Send Help sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

signalman

Adam, my name is Bill Allen.  I'm not sure if I formally introduced myself to you or not.  In any case, signalman could be my alter ego, I suppose.  For the goofy pic, had I known that Valerie was going to attempt to put bunny ears on CP's head, I would have chosen a different place to stand.  Her arm almost completely covered my face...oh well.

In regards to the Send Help sign, I heard someone mentioned that it was formally retired.  Doug Kerr did have one on the back of a map though.

vdeane

route17fan

I was there in spirit as well - it looks like a lot of progress has been made!
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: signalman on May 03, 2015, 04:55:53 PM
Adam, my name is Bill Allen.  I'm not sure if I formally introduced myself to you or not.  In any case, signalman could be my alter ego, I suppose.  For the goofy pic, had I known that Valerie was going to attempt to put bunny ears on CP's head, I would have chosen a different place to stand.  Her arm almost completely covered my face...oh well.

My apologies on that. I thought I had your name via Valerie, but I went on the side of caution and used "signalman".
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

In regards to the Send Help sign, I heard someone mentioned that it was formally retired.  Doug Kerr did have one on the back of a map though.

Not necessarily. Had I been there, it would have been prominently displayed.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

signalman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 04, 2015, 01:08:55 AM

My apologies on that. I thought I had your name via Valerie, but I went on the side of caution and used "signalman".
No worries.  It's better to err on the side of caution than to refer to me by the wrong name.  In any case, thanks for editing your original post with my actual name.  Before that meet, I was pretty much unknown in the roadgeeking community, although I'd like to become a bit more well known.  It's been a hobby of mine for a long time.  I tend to be quiet and shy, however.  I also intend on attending more meets in the future as long as I'm able to make it.

I'd also like to thank Chris Jordan for all of his commentary and local information while on the tour.  Like Mark, I'm not sure if he posts here.  If he does, I don't know his handle.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2015, 02:29:21 PM

Not necessarily. Had I been there, it would have been prominently displayed.  :bigass:

It wasn't "formally retired", but the last meet in the Northeast where it made an appearance was Corning, more than a year ago. We just kinda collectively decided it had run its course and didn't care to keep featuring it.

Elsewhere in the country, the sign still sees some occasional action.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.