News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite license plates?

Started by J Route Z, January 22, 2015, 11:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

Mine is Wyoming. I prefer the name of the state to be on the top.

jakeroot

Probably Norway. I've always liked the Myriad typeface:

Takumi

Most disagree with me, but I like the black and white Texas plate.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I like the now-discontinued Virginia plate for the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown that had a sailing ship on the right side. Picture of my RX-7 from several years ago. I'm sure I have a better picture somewhere but can't find one at the moment.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

I like that one too. I was able to get it in 2012 via special order.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

OCGuy81

QuoteMost disagree with me, but I like the black and white Texas plate.

I'm with you on that.

I also kind of like how New York went back to what they call the "Empire Gold" type of plate.

Simple looks better on most cars, IMO.  Some plates, like Arizona, have color schemes that really clash with a car's paint color.  Simpler is better.

oscar

My favorite in the U.S. is the "whale tail" California specialty plate.  When I see one, it inspires thoughts (until I come to my senses) of moving back there:

Outside the U.S., I really like the Northwest Territories (polar bear cutout) and Nunavut (polar bear non-cutout) plates.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Quote from: oscar on January 23, 2015, 04:00:22 PM
My favorite in the U.S. is  the "whale tail" California specialty plate.  When I see one, it inspires thoughts (until I come to my senses) of moving back there:

I don't think I've ever seen the "whale tail" plate before. Now truth be told I don't live in California, but there's a lot of Californians who travel around the west and I haven't seen it thus far.

oscar

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2015, 04:02:19 PM
I don't think I've ever seen the "whale tail" plate before. Now truth be told I don't live in California, but there's a lot of Californians who travel around the west and I haven't seen it thus far.

It's a rather pricey plate, but I usually see a few (including previous slightly-different versions) whenever I visit California.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Takumi

Maybe the whale tail plate is reserved for Porsche owners :spin:

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Doctor Whom

I like the Texas black-on-white plate and the Maryland escutcheon plate. For special-purpose plates, my favorite is the Virginia white-on-black antique plate.

hotdogPi

"Lobster plate".

It can be found as a Maine license plate (I-495 in Massachusetts has some Maine drivers, so I see them occasionally). However, it is not the default plate. It is a special one with a lobster on it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Big John

Quote from: 1 on January 24, 2015, 12:58:13 PM
"Lobster plate".

It can be found as a Maine license plate (I-495 in Massachusetts has some Maine drivers, so I see them occasionally). However, it is not the default plate. It is a special one with a lobster on it.
They were the default plate from the late 80s through the 90s http://www.15q.net/me.html but met with some resistance then.

signalman

Wyoming plates first inspired me to begin collecting almost 20 years ago.  One of my favorite current plates is Pennsylvania's railroad optional graphic, AKA "Preserve Our Heritage".  It's a very attractive plate and the characters are still very legible because of the white reflective paint that's used.

Takumi

Quote from: Doctor Whom on January 24, 2015, 10:44:48 AM
For special-purpose plates, my favorite is the Virginia white-on-black antique plate.
Agreed, I like that one better than the blue-on-yellow one. When my 1991 car, which is black, becomes an antique next year I want to get the white-on-black plate for it.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

I'm the only person who likes the old Deleware plates?

signalman

Quote from: jakeroot on January 24, 2015, 01:51:05 PM
I like them, but I wouldn't say that it's my favorite.

Big John

necrobumping that low-number plates can be sold for high prices.  #20 just went for $410,000: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/641835446/delaware-license-plate-sells-for-410-000

MantyMadTown

I rather like the old Illinois ones. There's just something about that design that made it look so great. I don't really like the new ones very much.

I also like the Colorado plates.
Forget the I-41 haters

Max Rockatansky

I like the throw back embossed gold and black California license plates:

https://flic.kr/p/21cJbRa

Really anything embossed with stamped numbers/letters tends to be up there for me.  I really like the simple designs plates used to have before vinyl became common.  You used to be able to tell each state by color patterns.  Florida has a pretty nice simple design that incorporates some minor artwork, I still have my old plates in the garage somewhere. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on August 27, 2018, 11:16:33 PM

necrobumping that low-number plates can be sold for high prices.  #20 just went for $410,000: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/641835446/delaware-license-plate-sells-for-410-000

Funny you'd bring that up. I just got back from a drive over to Delaware (from DC) a few days ago, and I noticed quite a few old, low-number plates (though none that low). The giveaway was the smaller size. The weird thing was, the old, auctioned plates were not often attached to cars that were old or expensive. Things like old Grand Cherokee's and whatnot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.