News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The most signal aspects at one intersection

Started by mrsman, February 08, 2015, 07:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Posted in the illustrations group:

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 04, 2015, 01:15:04 PM
So, while I was perusing the Holy MUTCD, I read the Book of Signals, Chapter 4D.09, Verse 3, which explained the hierarchy of signal heads. So, in following the MUTCD, I combined them ALL on to one signal head!

Behold:

THE 12 SECTION TOWER OF TERROR!

*Angelic Trumpets*

This hilarious image got me to wondering, what are the most signal aspects that you would see facing one direction at one intersection.  I could conceivably see 10:  A four section FYA, a regular 3 section RYG, and a 3 section RYG for right turn arrows as 3 separate signal sections.  Does this really exist anywhere?  And is there any possibility for 11 and 12 sections (obviously not on a single tower)?

M3019C LPS20

I'm sure that would cause mass confusion amid motorists. The most sections I have seen in one unit were 6.

Big John

MUTCD calls for no more than 5 sections in a single head, but I have seen a 6-section head ( R,Y,G, LGA, RYA, RGA) which had since been replaced by a complaint configuration.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

It's not that confusing (except for predicting which phase is next). There is one for straight, one for left, and one for right. No conflicting signals.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2015, 09:37:57 AM
It's not that confusing (except for predicting which phase is next). There is one for straight, one for left, and one for right. No conflicting signals.

Imagine approaching it in a car though, trying to match your movement to the movements lit. 

cjk374

In the "Railroad Earth", we have a rule involving signals:  If a signal is not properly displayed or does not display a clear meaning, then the signal should be regarded as displaying the most restrictive signal that can be displayed. (my wording...I can't find my GCOR book to quote the exact rule)

Therefore, if I came up on that signal above, I would never move!   :-P
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Revive 755

Quote from: mrsman on February 08, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
Posted in the illustrations group:

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 04, 2015, 01:15:04 PM
So, while I was perusing the Holy MUTCD, I read the Book of Signals, Chapter 4D.09, Verse 3, which explained the hierarchy of signal heads. So, in following the MUTCD, I combined them ALL on to one signal head!

Behold:

THE 12 SECTION TOWER OF TERROR!

*Angelic Trumpets*

I think there are a few ways to add even more indications:

* Add two more indications for a flashing red left arrow and a flashing red right arrow - a couple of the typical arrangements in Figures 4D-8 and 4D-15 have these separate from the steady red arrow.

* Double the red ball, and steady red arrows as permitted in the section on clustering.

* Ignore the restrictions in Section 4D.08, Paragraph 08 that prohibit using both U-turn arrows and left/right arrows in the same signal face.

jakeroot

In Downtown Seattle, 2nd Ave is one-way with a protected cycle lane on the left. Left-turns are prohibited while cyclists have a green.

For what it's worth, confusion has arisen since this image portrays an apparent no-one goes scenario, though I think the photographer grabbed the shot in-between phases.

Image from My Northwest.com

SignGeek101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.