News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: cl94 on December 19, 2017, 03:35:20 PM
Huge day for NYSDOT plans:

- NB I-87 rest area plans released. This will be similar to the other recent welcome centers, but in full compliance with federal regulations. Contract info here. Some highlights:
   * Old building being demolished, temporary restrooms adjacent to truck parking will exist during construction.
   * Fenced playground being installed on north side of new building. Will feature a play structure designed to look like a fire tower and a zip line.
   * Chair swing using an old ski lift chair will be installed next to car parking.
   * Fenced dog area will be installed on south side of building.
   * Walk of fame will be installed at entrance, similar to the LI rest area and the upcoming Grand Island one.
   * Taste NY stuff will be entirely through vending machines, but with a prep area behind closed doors. No idea what will be in the machines, but as it's vending machines, it is 100% in compliance.
   * Seating area with Adirondack chairs
   * Floor map with tourist attractions

- Major sign replacements in New York City on most of the expressways/parkways in the outer boroughs that haven't received recent replacements. New shields for the Bronx River Parkway and Korean War Veterans Parkway (which is finally getting the "renamed" signs removed), Grand Central Parkway will have new shields installed along much of the length. That button copy sign on the Bruckner north of the Cross Bronx is safe for now. Contract info here.

Edit: contract info added

How old are the ones being replaced on the LIE? They're not button copy and they don't look to be in terrible shape.

I do like the new BRP and KWVP shields. In fact, I like what they're doing with them overall. Will like to see some of the other parkways.

empirestate

Quote from: storm2k on December 20, 2017, 09:07:25 PM
I do like the new BRP and KWVP shields. In fact, I like what they're doing with them overall. Will like to see some of the other parkways.

Is anybody compiling these shields anywhere (say, Wikipedia or such)?

Buffaboy

Quote from: empirestate on December 21, 2017, 12:03:11 AM

If I find them, I could upload them.

Creating them is another story. The figure of the boat and bushes or whatever would take a while just to get right. I don't understand how people make these kinds of things in Inkscape anyways.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 21, 2017, 08:03:33 AM
Quote from: empirestate on December 21, 2017, 12:03:11 AM

If I find them, I could upload them.

Creating them is another story. The figure of the boat and bushes or whatever would take a while just to get right. I don't understand how people make these kinds of things in Inkscape anyways.

Yeah, the images in these sign plans are too low-res to copy digitally. Is there more in the plans that shows the design of the shields? Or elsewhere in NYSDOT documents?

Roadgeek Adam

For Wikipedia purposes, I will have them ready ASAP.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

RestrictOnTheHanger

Unless I'm reading thr plans wrong, it looks like some of the LIE replacement signs still include references to toll booths at the tunnel, which were taken down almost a year ago

vdeane

If you're referring to "last exit before toll", that is still correct.  The booths are gone, but the tunnels/bridges are not free; rather, those without E-ZPass will be mailed a bill based on their license plate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on December 24, 2017, 04:12:32 PM
If you're referring to "last exit before toll", that is still correct.  The booths are gone, but the tunnels/bridges are not free; rather, those without E-ZPass will be mailed a bill based on their license plate.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_NOTICE_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=19043&p_is_digital=Y
page 5. "toll booths 1 mile"
Same on page 7.

PS: oh, those are sign removal tables

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: vdeane on December 24, 2017, 04:12:32 PM

Moreso the reference of toll booths themselves. Same as what kalvado mentioned above.

Michael

When I went through Elbridge on December 8th, I saw that the Hamilton Road left turn lane project was complete.  I looked on the NYSDOT site for the plans, and saw that along with the plans, there were some PDFs of plans for previous projects from East Brutus Street to downtown Elbridge.  Some of the plans date back to the late 1920s!  Here's a link to the plans, but they may be taken down at some point, so the link may become dead.

Dougtone

The Rooftop Highway through northern New York State is gaining some traction again, it appears.
http://northcountrynow.com/news/canton-meeting-will-update-public-route-11-upgrade-study-0225439

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

GenExpwy

State drops plan to convert the Scajaquada Expressway.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/08/state-pulls-plug-on-scajaquada-plan/

QuoteThe state has put the brakes on a $101 million plan to convert the Scajaquada Expressway into a lower-speed boulevard after receiving public comments that were overwhelmingly in opposition.

The decision by the state Department of Transportation comes at the end of a long design process to reshape 2.2 miles of Route 198 between Parkside Avenue and Grant Street, which has been slowed to a 30 mph roadway. The state had been expected to announce later this year the start of a project to design additional traffic-calming measures, such as doubling the number of traffic signals, adding pedestrian crossings and installing wide medians at those crossings.

Roadsguy

Hopefully they go the other way and actually properly upgrade it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

froggie

Doubtful.  That'd require right-of-way that NYS can ill afford.

seicer

And it's through an Olmstead designed park. Why do we have to ram freeeways through everything?

Alps

Quote from: seicer on January 10, 2018, 12:08:41 PM
And it's through an Olmstead designed park. Why do we have to ram freeeways through everything?
It's already there. Go find another windmill at which to tilt.

Buffaboy

Just take the $4 billion you plan to spend on an I-81 tunnel and do the same here.

webny99

When will NY convert to mileage-based exit numbers?
I know it has been officially proposed before  :pan: However, to my knowledge, I-99 and I-781 are the only current freeways with mileage based numbers. I'd like to see the whole state convert soon.

vdeane

There's also I-890/NY 890 (assuming it still counts now that the exit numbers no longer match at exit 4), the NYSDOT part of I-95, and the Taconic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on January 22, 2018, 01:16:18 PM
There's also I-890/NY 890 (assuming it still counts now that the exit numbers no longer match at exit 4), the NYSDOT part of I-95, and the Taconic.
Right right. Forgot about I-890, and don't know if I ever knew about the downstate ones.

machias

Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2018, 12:03:22 PM
When will NY convert to mileage-based exit numbers?
I know it has been officially proposed before  :pan: However, to my knowledge, I-99 and I-781 are the only current freeways with mileage based numbers. I'd like to see the whole state convert soon.

It won't happen until NYSDOT and the Thruway Authority have no choice but to comply with federal guidelines. They have said repeatedly that they'd rather use the money for something more important like bridge repairs, etc.

I had suggested several times that they introduce mileage based exit numbering to the expressways and freeways that currently have unnumbered interchanges while they do sign rehab projects, but there doesn't seem to be much interest.

There's also concern that the close proximity of interchanges in the five boroughs and Long Island will create confusion, though the other metropolitan areas in the country don't seem to struggle with this. There's nothing special about the spacing of interchanges in the city of New York or on Long Island when compared to interchanges in Chicago, Philadelphia or even St. Louis.

Any new expressways and freeways will have mileage based interchange numbering.

The Ghostbuster

It will probably happen when hell freezes over. I am a strong proponent of mileage-based exits, although maybe I'm that way because Wisconsin has always been a mileage-based exit state.

Alps

I wonder if NY Thruway will go mile-based when the Thruway goes all-electronic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.