Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Jim Cantore is reported to be at Orange Beach, AL
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Interstate 69 Fan

Oh god... I'm not going there to meet the "Hurricane Magnet!"
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Interstate 69 Fan

Well... just updated. Nate is now a 75 mph Cat 1. I'm betting it'll reach Cat 2.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 06, 2017, 11:36:53 PM
Well... just updated. Nate is now a 75 mph Cat 1. I'm betting it'll reach Cat 2.

It did, at 90 mph (Edit: Whoops...that's still Cat 1, my bad).  It may strengthen a little more prior to hitting land.

As far as hurricanes go, this one's gonna get a speeding ticket.  It's moving NNW at an amazing 25 mph, getting ready to turn N then NNE.  Hurricanes generally like warmer water, and the water temperature is still in the upper 70's, but there's a ridge the storm has attached itself to that is causing this one to fly thru the Gulf.

It'll hit land tonight.  This time tomorrow it'll already be near Kentucky, and in 48 hours - Monday Evening - it'll be around New York State!

The NHC site has good discussion about it: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/071504.shtml? .  Click on the 'Graphics' link to view the various paths and cones.

Interstate 69 Fan

Then Ophelia decided to form. Will we get to Rina? Will we get to Whitney for all I care? Probably not... Rina, probably.

CNGL-Leudimin

This year's list is the same one that was exhausted in 2005 except for a few names that were replaced. I would like to see another Vince, but I guess we will end with Philippe or Rina.

Side note: in 2014 we got a hurricane Vance in the Pacific.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Interstate 69 Fan

From NHC: A broad area of low pressure located over the western Caribbean Sea
and Central America continues to produce disorganized showers and
thunderstorms. Close proximity to land is likely to limit
development of this system during the next 24 hours. However,
environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for the system
to become more organized Friday and Saturday as it moves slowly
northward over the northwestern Caribbean Sea. Strong upper-level
winds associated with an approaching cold front will make conditions
less favorable by Sunday. Regardless of development, this system is
expected to produce locally heavy rainfall over portions of Central
America and Cuba during the next couple of days. These rains are
forecast to spread northward across portions of South Florida and
the Keys on Saturday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.
Next name is Philippe.

CNGL-Leudimin

Meanwhile the Western Pacific has run out of names. Unlike the NHC, Japan uses only one long list, and every year they continue from where they left the previous year. So now they have reached the end, they start over from the beginning.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Interstate 69 Fan

A tropical low has become really organized. Now with a high 80% chance to develop.

ET21

TD-18 has formed just south of Cuba
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: ET21 on October 28, 2017, 02:01:57 PM
Although it came and went, it developed into Philippe. Next name is Rina... should've found a better replacement name for Rita.

empirestate

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 30, 2017, 01:37:14 PM
Quote from: ET21 on October 28, 2017, 02:01:57 PM
Although it came and went, it developed into Philippe. Next name is Rina... should've found a better replacement name for Rita.

Lovely Rina, mener maid! :-D

Interstate 69 Fan

Harvey the costliest storm on record. Wow.

ET21

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 02, 2017, 07:44:09 AM
Harvey the costliest storm on record. Wow.

Not surprising considering the entire region of southeastern Texas was destroyed in some fashion: wind damage to the south near Corpus Christi, flooding in the Houston metro area and parts of southwestern LA. Then flooding up through the Tennessee Valley, lower Mississippi Valley, and parts of the Appalachians as it moved further inland as a post tropical system.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Interstate 69 Fan

A little late - 10 PM EST yesterday, Rina was designated.

Interstate 69 Fan

Thread revival – several storms have been active since Rina. Now we have Berguitta active in the Indian.

CNGL-Leudimin

Yup, cyclone Berguitta in the Southwest Indian. So far the Southern Hemisphere has had the following storms:
Tropical Storm Cempaka (Australia but named by Indonesia, not tracked by the JTWC)
Tropical Storm Dahlia (Australia but again named by Indonesia)
Cyclone Ava, category 2 (Southwest Indian)
Cyclone Irving, category 2 (Formed in Australia but quickly crossed into the Southwest Indian)
Tropical Storm Joyce (Australia, somehow managed to survive overland for a long time)

In addition we already had the first storm of the Northwest Pacific (or as I call it the "Typhoon Pacific"), Tropical Storm Bolaven (known in the Philippines as Agaton and never considered a storm by the JTWC). Last year there were fewer category 5 typhoons (only the long-lasting Noru) than category 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic (Irma and Maria).

Interstate 69 Fan

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 16, 2018, 04:35:25 PM
Yup, cyclone Berguitta in the Southwest Indian. So far the Southern Hemisphere has had the following storms:
Tropical Storm Cempaka (Australia but named by Indonesia, not tracked by the JTWC)
Tropical Storm Dahlia (Australia but again named by Indonesia)
Cyclone Ava, category 2 (Southwest Indian)
Cyclone Irving, category 2 (Formed in Australia but quickly crossed into the Southwest Indian)
Tropical Storm Joyce (Australia, somehow managed to survive overland for a long time)

In addition we already had the first storm of the Northwest Pacific (or as I call it the "Typhoon Pacific"), Tropical Storm Bolaven (known in the Philippines as Agaton and never considered a storm by the JTWC). Last year there were fewer category 5 typhoons (only the long-lasting Noru) than category 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic (Irma and Maria).

IMO, Lan is a Cat 5. Looked like one, had a ASCAT pass with Cat 5 Winds...

Interstate 69 Fan

And then Cebile decided to peak as the strongest storm so far in 2018 - 135 mph.

CNGL-Leudimin

Nice to see another hurricane tracker. I haven't been really active lately, having shifted my focus to running. I created this thread mainly for Atlantic hurricanes, as obviously the audience of this forum would be more interested on them, even though I decided to open this to anything anywhere. However, I have some idiosyncrasies, such as I always estimate wind speeds in a 10 minute lapse as recommended by the WMO, and thus they are about 1.14 times lower than JTWC's 1 minute estimates. For example I consider Cebile to have peaked at 115 mph, which matches Meteo-France advisories.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 29, 2018, 03:04:46 PM
Nice to see another hurricane tracker. I haven't been really active lately, having shifted my focus to running. I created this thread mainly for Atlantic hurricanes, as obviously the audience of this forum would be more interested on them, even though I decided to open this to anything anywhere. However, I have some idiosyncrasies, such as I always estimate wind speeds in a 10 minute lapse as recommended by the WMO, and thus they are about 1.14 times lower than JTWC's 1 minute estimates. For example I consider Cebile to have peaked at 115 mph, which matches Meteo-France advisories.
Good to see another one too. I prefer 1-min winds over 10 min, because It’s a lot easier to track those kind of winds.

Also, Cebile is back up to Category 4. Peaked with 140 mph this time.

Interstate 69 Fan

TD 02W forms, as well as Cyclone Gita in the SPAC.

Interstate 69 Fan

02W decided to became a Tropical Storm, and received the name Sanba. Gita is also nearly a Cat 5 on the Australian Scale...

Hurricane Rex

Gita could also be the strongest storm to ever have hit Tonga.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.