News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wawa Named America’s Favorite Convenience Store

Started by cpzilliacus, July 22, 2015, 11:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

We had Wawa in Connecticut once...had to be some time in the 1990s maybe?

I've never been to a Sheetz.

Amazingly, Wawa was hard to find the last time I was in Center City Philadelphia (January 15th-16th)! There used to be one at Arch and 11th by the Pennsylvania Convention Center, but that's long gone now.

The last non-Philadelphia Wawa I went to? Elkton, MD on MD Route 279, corner of Fletchwood Road (MD Route 277). The place looked fairly new and didn't sell lottery (as of my visit in June of 2014). The one major note with that location? It's no more than 500 feet from the Delaware state line.  :-P

Max Rockatansky

WaWa is okay, I generally like the selection of drinks but I'm just kind of neutral on the sandwiches.  The biggest issue that I run into with almost any WaWa is that they are packed with tons of cars at the pumps and parking spaces.  I've never been a big fan of having to wait to park at a gas station which usually gravitates my business to 7/11 or Circle K as a result.

02 Park Ave

It has come to my attention that Royal Farms, Sheetz, and WaWa all have locations in Westminster, Maryland.

Does anyone know how their competition is going?
C-o-H

doorknob60

In the Boise area, the only C-store chains we have are:

Jackson's (West coast regional, primarily northwest)
Maverik (Mountain West regional)
Stinker (Idaho only)
And then a few very small chains/independents like Gemstop (14 locations)
I'm not counting truck stops like Flying J or TA

We don't even have 7-11  :confused:

Hard to pick a favorite, they all are pretty dang similar (and fairly unremarkable). Probably Maverik if I had to pick. But Jackson's is closer to home so I go there the most.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 21, 2016, 09:12:10 PM

All the stores that are Krauszer's were once Wawa.  Also used to be one on the CCSU campus when I went there right next to the plaza on Stanley St where Dunkin and Subway (which were Whole Donut and Blimpie's when I was there) are.  It's now an independent.  Guess Wawa pulled out to focus more on their gas station concept stores.  Cumby's has the corner of the market in New England, it seems, when it comes to gas stations with quality convenience stores that offer decent prepared foods and coffee (and their coffee is as good as Dunkin for 99 cents; only problem is the nearest Cumby's is 10 minutes from me and I pass 2 Dunkins to get there).

I've been to Sheetz a few times in the Lancaster/Reading area, and one on the Pulaski Highway in Joppatowne, MD.  Clean, well organized, great selection in their coolers and soda fountain. Never tried the Made to Order stuff.  As far as Wawa, I lived in Philly for a year, and there was one a block from my place.  Always cost me a lot of pocket change to go there with the resident panhandler on duty. Their newer stores are nice, and their iced coffee is great.  Wish they'd come back to CT.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

doorknob60

Quote from: Rothman on May 30, 2018, 11:11:11 PM
No Circle Ks in Idaho anymore?

None that I'm aware of. And I couldn't find any with the locator on their website (though it only searches within 50 miles, I tried a handful of Idaho cities). They're definitely fairly common in Oregon and Washington though.

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 21, 2016, 09:12:10 PM

Bold emphasis added to the below-quote.
Quote from: Wiki Account of the Wawa companyWawa operates stores in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Wawa's territory once stretched into New York and Connecticut, but in the late 1990s, the decision was made to abandon the franchised stores in New York metropolitan area and New England, as it was too competitive. The abandoned stores were re-branded when they were sold to Krauszer's (in Connecticut) and a variety of other convenience retailers, but most are still recognizable as they retain their distinctive "Wawa" design.

Wiki account of the Wawa company
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 31, 2018, 01:19:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 30, 2018, 11:11:11 PM
No Circle Ks in Idaho anymore?

None that I'm aware of. And I couldn't find any with the locator on their website (though it only searches within 50 miles, I tried a handful of Idaho cities). They're definitely fairly common in Oregon and Washington though.
Huh.  I thought the cruise route in Rexburg started and ended at Circle Ks when I was at college there.  Probably Maveriks now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

briantroutman

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2018, 10:30:28 AM
Quote from: Wiki Account of the Wawa companyWawa's territory once stretched into New York and Connecticut, but in the late 1990s, the decision was made to abandon the franchised stores in New York metropolitan area and New England, as it was too competitive.

I wonder to what extent Wawa's lack of competitiveness at that time was due to lack of differentiation of its stores. I didn't have much experience with Wawa prior to about 2005-2010, but of the few hazy recollections I have of Wawa stores in the '90s, I believe they were pretty typical of '70s-'80s convenience stores: A small rectangular box on a neighborhood street–sometimes with a few gas pumps in front, but frequently with none. I don't recall any made-to-order food and beverage operation at that time, and that's arguably the core of what makes Wawa a regional favorite today. And the expansive, bright, airy superstores that are now a Wawa hallmark seem to have been built mostly after 2000.

To anyone with memories of Wawa over the years: When did Wawa launch the made-to-order food operation, and when did the company transition from small neighborhood stores like this to super-Wawas like this?

As a point of reference, my hometown got its first Sheetz around 1997 or so, and while somewhat small by today's Sheetz/Wawa standards, it was the first such super-convenience store in the area and did have (if I recall correctly) a made-to-order food operation as well–might have been on a touch-screen CRT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on June 02, 2018, 01:06:52 PM
To anyone with memories of Wawa over the years: When did Wawa launch the made-to-order food operation, and when did the company transition from small neighborhood stores like this to super-Wawas like this?
According to the earlier-post Wiki-link, Wawa's first store with a gas station came about circa 1996 but such was a new facility (not a replacement for an older store).  The retrofits and/or relocations (for more space) of the older stores (including the ones in southern Delco) convened within the last 10 to 15 years or so depending on location.

As far as making food to order ops.  I believe they've been making sandwiches since at least the early 1990s.  When I first moved to southern Delco nearly 28 years ago; I would periodically order a sandwich at the Morton Wawa (along PA 420).  Not sure when they started offering hot food.   I'm guessing late 90s to early 2000s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jemacedo9

Quote from: briantroutman on June 02, 2018, 01:06:52 PM

As a point of reference, my hometown got its first Sheetz around 1997 or so, and while somewhat small by today's Sheetz/Wawa standards, it was the first such super-convenience store in the area and did have (if I recall correctly) a made-to-order food operation as well–might have been on a touch-screen CRT.

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 04, 2018, 09:06:25 AM
As far as making food to order ops.  I believe they've been making sandwiches since at least the early 1990s.  When I first moved to southern Delco nearly 28 years ago; I would periodically order a sandwich at the Morton Wawa (along PA 420).  Not sure when they started offering hot food.   I'm guessing late 90s to early 2000s.

Growing up in SE PA, I went to college in Western PA 1990-1994, and Sheetz did have their made-to-order menu, though not quite as extensive. There were order pads and golf pencils where you would check boxes to place your order. Early on in winter and summer breaks, I remember thinking that it was a shame that Wawa didn't do the same, and then soon after that thought, they did, so early 1990s seems about right.

Sheetz has always been ahead of the curve vs Wawa, though they are close, in terms of their offerings and options.

I'm partial to the Amoroso rolls (grew up on them), though, so I always preferred Wawa's hoagies from that standpoint, until Wawa started making their own rolls in house a few years ago. Since I have sentimental memories from both (Wawa is home, Sheetz is college), I'm one of the rare ones that sit on the fence about which one is better.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.