News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on January 13, 2018, 09:43:10 AM
Hey I drive to Weehawken about 3 Times a week when going back into Manhattan how come the ezpass lane does not show if it read my pass or not but at the new Rochelle toll it does show
That screen very often doesn't show. Especially at the Lincoln Tunnel I've noticed. Not sure if it's a maintenance issue or an equipment issue.

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on January 13, 2018, 11:55:31 AM
Hey I drive to Weehawken about 3 Times a week when going back into Manhattan how come the ezpass lane does not show if it read my pass or not but at the new Rochelle toll it does show
That screen very often doesn't show. Especially at the Lincoln Tunnel I've noticed. Not sure if it's a maintenance issue or an equipment issue.
Ok it freaked me out until I got to the other toll and saw it picked it up. I need to fully switch over to my mta ezpass. I'm trying to figure out how i can avoid that toll on the parkway on 9A I forgot how I did it the first time.. I don't want to take the GW bridge because it sets me way back unless I can take the GW and somehow get to 9A bypassing that toll since I'm getting hit with $6 because it's not a NY pass

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on January 13, 2018, 02:54:46 PM
Ok it freaked me out until I got to the other toll and saw it picked it up. I need to fully switch over to my mta ezpass. I'm trying to figure out how i can avoid that toll on the parkway on 9A I forgot how I did it the first time.. I don't want to take the GW bridge because it sets me way back unless I can take the GW and somehow get to 9A bypassing that toll since I'm getting hit with $6 because it's not a NY pass
If you're on 9A take the Mosholu to 87 and cross over one of the Harlem River free bridges.

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on January 13, 2018, 03:59:01 PM
If you're on 9A take the Mosholu to 87 and cross over one of the Harlem River free bridges.
Ah man but if I have it right I would still have to head way north in Jersey? It's so easy getting out of the tunnel and Weehawken would be the first exit.

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on January 13, 2018, 05:31:21 PM
Ah man but if I have it right I would still have to head way north in Jersey? It's so easy getting out of the tunnel and Weehawken would be the first exit.
Didn't know that's where you were going. Yeah, the downside of the free route is that you must cross Manhattan on surface streets, so it does eat up a bunch of your time. (You could in theory take 87 to 95 to 9A, but that only helps you when the Highbridge interchange isn't backed up, which is typically something like 5:15-5:23 AM on the third Sunday of months with R in them.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on January 14, 2018, 02:35:34 AM
Quote from: MikeCL on January 13, 2018, 05:31:21 PM
Didn't know that's where you were going. Yeah, the downside of the free route is that you must cross Manhattan on surface streets, so it does eat up a bunch of your time. (You could in theory take 87 to 95 to 9A, but that only helps you when the Highbridge interchange isn't backed up, which is typically something like 5:15-5:23 AM on the third Sunday of months with R in them.

I've gone through Highbridge at 3 AM on a Wednesday and it was clear. But yes, it's only clear in the middle of the night, and then you have to hope they're not doing construction.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

D-Dey65

Regarding southbound I-695 southbound near I-295 in Throgs Neck. I can't imagine anyone getting to the off ramp for Pennyfield and Harding Avenues, without cutting off traffic from the Cross Bronx Expressway. So what do the rest of you think? Should there be a new off-ramp leading to a bridge over the Cross Bronx, or should the ramp from I-695 be channelized so that nobody can cross those lanes?

Duke87

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 26, 2018, 01:44:51 PM
Should there be a new off-ramp leading to a bridge over the Cross Bronx,

No way the cost of that is justifiable.

Quoteor should the ramp from I-695 be channelized so that nobody can cross those lanes?

Maybe, if it proves to be a safety issue. But AFAIK it isn't. The key here is that not a lot of traffic uses that exit.

It's actually improved compared to how it was pre-AET - you only need to dart across two lanes of traffic now instead of three.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on January 26, 2018, 09:02:47 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 26, 2018, 01:44:51 PM
Should there be a new off-ramp leading to a bridge over the Cross Bronx,

No way the cost of that is justifiable.

Quoteor should the ramp from I-695 be channelized so that nobody can cross those lanes?

Maybe, if it proves to be a safety issue. But AFAIK it isn't. The key here is that not a lot of traffic uses that exit.

It's actually improved compared to how it was pre-AET - you only need to dart across two lanes of traffic now instead of three.
I have unofficial thoughts on the matter, but I'm just the guy who did the traffic analysis, not the guy who decided on the final lane configuration that does not jive with the traffic analysis. Suffice it to say that if you merge together a total of 5 lanes it works, but not if you merge together 4 lanes. I-295 as two lanes brings too dense of a traffic stream during peak hours to facilitate I-695 traffic weaving over in that space. Although three lanes is a longer distance to move over, the benefit to traffic density is so great that it actually does work. (You would then squeeze the two middle lanes together as you approach the bridge.) But that's unofficial.

Duke87

Interesting.

What about during non-peak hours, though? If the issue is that two lanes makes the peak hour traffic too dense, there must logically be some number of VPH below which two lanes becomes better, right?

I would also figure there would be some VPH number above which two lanes becomes better for that particular maneuver - namely, enough traffic to cause LOS F with two lanes that would be a higher LOS with three. Where now, because traffic has slowed to stop and go conditions, you can just put on your blinker and wait for someone to let you over.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on January 27, 2018, 12:39:26 PM
Interesting.

What about during non-peak hours, though? If the issue is that two lanes makes the peak hour traffic too dense, there must logically be some number of VPH below which two lanes becomes better, right?

I would also figure there would be some VPH number above which two lanes becomes better for that particular maneuver - namely, enough traffic to cause LOS F with two lanes that would be a higher LOS with three. Where now, because traffic has slowed to stop and go conditions, you can just put on your blinker and wait for someone to let you over.
Yeah, but LOS F is still LOS F, whether you're talking about "too much traffic to merge into" or "no one's moving". "Easier" doesn't have a defined metric to it, since in theory you're shooting for LOS D or better in an urban area. Yes, two lanes works well for much of the day, since there is a measure of directional flow, but three lanes still works for the entire day. The LOS F in this case involves a dense stream and applies strictly to the weave, meaning that traffic will continue to move at LOS D on the mainline, but exiting traffic is SOL.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 26, 2018, 03:22:04 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7964125,-73.920768,3a,75y,33.71h,86.17t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIMrSfPxg07qBVwbImC6IEg!2e0!5s20171101T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Does anyone know if these are still up on the Triboro?

and any TRUCK I-278 shields left?

I drove this stretch back in September twice, after the Yankees "home" game at Citi Field and after an actual home game at YS.      That stretch of Queens Blvd. was still heavily signed TRUCK I-278.

Mergingtraffic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isiu989215kczoq/20014-10-07_Community%20Board%20PowerPoint%20Presentation.ppt?dl=0

I saw this about the HRD rehab at 125th st.  It looks like they're adding a lane though NB?

Mergingtraffic

Anybody drive over the VZB lately? What's the status of the toll area? Have they narrowed the road yet and replaced the signs?

Duke87

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 15, 2018, 10:16:56 AM
Anybody drive over the VZB lately? What's the status of the toll area? Have they narrowed the road yet and replaced the signs?

As of yesterday...

The upper and lower levels are served by separate gantries on the SI side of the bridge shortly before the roadways merge back together. As with other MTA crossings, the old toll plaza is completely gone, jersey barriers have been installed to maintain the roadway to ordinary width, and the spare space is being used for storage / as a place for cops to hang out.

And yes all of the signs appear to have been replaced, although I only drove straight through and was not exploring ramps.

storm2k

Jackie Robinson Parkway signs will feature iconic Brooklyn Dodger's image

QuoteIn honor of Jackie Robinson Day, the city's Department of Transportation unveiled new signage Thursday for the Jackie Robinson Parkway that includes a grayscale illustration of Robinson at bat in his number 42 Brooklyn Dodgers uniform. It's the first time the parkway will feature the image of the sports legend and racial justice icon who broke the color line in Major League Baseball on April 15, 1947.

QuoteCrews have already installed 25 of the new signs – either three feet by three feet, or two feet by two feet in size, depending on location. The city plans to replace all of the signs along the parkway with the new design, which features black lettering on a white background to more closely match the parkway signs out on Long Island. The current signs, green with white lettering, were first installed when the city renamed the highway after the Hall of Famer in 1997.

There's a picture of the new shield and it is glorious.

KEVIN_224

I love that sign! It's awesome! :)

D-Dey65

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 16, 2018, 09:33:57 AM
I love that sign! It's awesome! :)
I like it too, even though the Upstate New York Parkway shields are more colorful. I've never really been a fan of NYC Parkways trying to copy Long Island parkway shields. In fact, even though the Grand Central Parkway shield is in black and white, it's still pretty distinct.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on April 15, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 15, 2018, 10:16:56 AM

As of yesterday...

The upper and lower levels are served by separate gantries on the SI side of the bridge shortly before the roadways merge back together. As with other MTA crossings, the old toll plaza is completely gone, jersey barriers have been installed to maintain the roadway to ordinary width, and the spare space is being used for storage / as a place for cops to hang out.

And yes all of the signs appear to have been replaced, although I only drove straight through and was not exploring ramps.

So all the button copy in the area are gone including these?

vdeane

A lot of the signage on the Verrazano is shown as replaced in street view, though it looks like the signs for Bay Street might not have been replaced yet (or at least they hadn't gotten to them when street view went through).  The new signs actually show the exit numbers and look like normal road signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

Rockaways: Are the Beach Channel Drive button copy signs still around near the Veterans Memorial Cross Bay Bridge?

Duke87

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 16, 2018, 02:41:04 PM

Those are definitely gone.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on April 19, 2018, 08:52:05 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 16, 2018, 02:41:04 PM

Those are definitely gone.

I guess Staten Island is the first borough to be completely devoid of button copy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.