News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US Route 199 Redwood Highway Winter Travel

Started by roybrown, December 11, 2015, 08:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roybrown

Does anybody know how US Route 199 Redwood Highway from Grants Pass to Crescent City is in the winter? I'm heading South for the Holidays in a 32ft Class C motorhome and wondering if I have to worry about snow on that route. Thanks.

kkt

Usually no, but sometimes there are major storms that get snow.  Landslides, flooding, and fallen trees are more common.  Check before you go.

nexus73

If there is any snow it will be by Collier Tunnel.  The bigger threat to 199 are rock slides. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Thunderbyrd316

Snow is fairly rare on this highway, even in deepest, darkest Winter. Rain however is VERY likely along with possible accompanying problems as noted in the response above. Parts of the route in California are narrow and winding. (Though there is a nice 4 lane 65 m.p.h. section just east of Gasquet that is about 5 miles long.) In Oregon the highway is generally a decent 2 lane highway with no major grades or sharp curves and a few miles of 4 lane just outside of Grants Pass. And yes, it is a good idea to inquire about current conditions before departing.

And, just in case you are thinking of using I-5 as a possible detour, snow on I-5 between Medford and Redding is fairly common and this route has a long, steep grade over the Siskiyou Summit. (And if you were thinking of taking California 299 from Redding back to the coast, that route has lots of narrow, winding sections and some steep grades.)

kkt

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on December 12, 2015, 12:05:53 AM
Snow is fairly rare on this highway, even in deepest, darkest Winter. Rain however is VERY likely along with possible accompanying problems as noted in the response above. Parts of the route in California are narrow and winding. (Though there is a nice 4 lane 65 m.p.h. section just east of Gasquet that is about 5 miles long.) In Oregon the highway is generally a decent 2 lane highway with no major grades or sharp curves and a few miles of 4 lane just outside of Grants Pass. And yes, it is a good idea to inquire about current conditions before departing.

And, just in case you are thinking of using I-5 as a possible detour, snow on I-5 between Medford and Redding is fairly common and this route has a long, steep grade over the Siskiyou Summit. (And if you were thinking of taking California 299 from Redding back to the coast, that route has lots of narrow, winding sections and some steep grades.)

Yes, there is quite the theme of narrow and winding.

If there's a big enough storm for snow on 199-101, there's lots and lots of snow on I-5 through the Siskiyous, so I'm not sure what your alternate would be.  Stay home?  Head for US 97 if there's a clear route across the Cascades?

Sub-Urbanite

It's a slog of a drive but probably OK as far as snow. I mean, it's not going to be any worse than I-5 down to Grants Pass.

There's one good passing stretch around Gasquet/Darlingtonia and allow other drivers to pass, because other opportunities are sparse. That road is curvier than a Slinky.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.