News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

The Walmart on Touhy in Skokie has a Burger King, and the one a little further out in Niles has the world's last remaining Fluky's.

ftballfan

Quote from: inkyatari on October 14, 2018, 04:11:31 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 14, 2018, 01:49:39 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2018, 01:20:23 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 12, 2018, 11:15:51 AM
Kmart is lost the 80's. Walmart is the new Kmart and some of their stores make you feel like you are in a Kmart.

Not until there's a snack bar near the front door with an Icee machine!

Like Target? ;)

Closest you'll find at Wal-Mart is McDonald's or Subway (but no Icees)
I once saw a Pizza Hut and Cinnabon in a Wal-Mart, but that was 15 years ago
When I went to the Super Target near the Mall at Millenia a few weeks ago, they have a Pizza Hut Express inside

Flint1979

I have only seen McDonald's and Subway in Walmart's. I remember though when they had a restaurant called Radio Grill in them. I never have been in a Radio Grill so I have no idea what it's even like but I remember the name. I think it was owned by Walmart.

Flint1979

Not Kmart related really but I remember back in the day there was a supermarket chain in the Tri-Cities/Flint area of Michigan called Kessel. They opened in the early 80's mainly in former Kroger locations and some former Hamady locations and carried Kroger products. Anyway, they had a hot dog stand outside the store at their locations that sold hot dogs and a few other things. Kroger bought the entire chain around 2000 and all stores are now either closed, a Save A Lot or Kroger.

hbelkins

It's been awhile since I have been there, the the Walmart at Hamburg Paviliion in Lexington had an Auntie Anne's pretzel place.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

My local Walmart has a Chinese place in it. It replaced the McDonald's.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on October 15, 2018, 01:37:57 PM
It's been awhile since I have been there, the the Walmart at Hamburg Paviliion in Lexington had an Auntie Anne's pretzel place.

There is one here, too, plus McDonald's.  Auntie Anne's had 2 locations, but closed one a couple years ago.  Two of our 3 stores have Subway instead of McDonald's, but there is a free standing McDonald's in the parking lot. All of them still have the deli counter, as do the 2 Neighborhood Markets.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: ftballfan on October 14, 2018, 08:05:27 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 14, 2018, 04:11:31 PM
Kmart is lost the 80's. Walmart is the new Kmart and some of their stores make you feel like you are in a Kmart.

Like Target? ;)

I once saw a Pizza Hut and Cinnabon in a Wal-Mart, but that was 15 years ago
When I went to the Super Target near the Mall at Millenia a few weeks ago, they have a Pizza Hut Express inside
We have two Targets nearby; one was renovated earlier this year and just has a cafe with an Icee machine inside (no more Pizza Hut-just a Starbucks) and the other one still has its Pizza Hut.

SP Cook

The company has finally filed for bankruptcy, although the "reorg" Chapter 11 type. 

Will close 142 more stores, all by year's end. 

https://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2018/10/sears_bankruptcy_list_of_142_s.html

West Virginia will be left with 2 K-Marts, both in poor suburbs of Charleston, and the Sears in the Huntington Mall, where Sears owns the space, not renting from the mall. 

The company will clearly fail as a reorg and convert to Chapter 7 liquidation after Christmas.  My bet is the whole thing is gone by next summer.

doorknob60

Like Target? ;)

The Walmart on Fairview in Meridian, ID has a Burger King inside, so you could probably get an ICEE there. I don't think I've ever seen another Walmart with BK though, the other 2 in Meridian are Subway. The Boise and Caldwell ones are McDonalds. The 2 in Nampa are McDonalds and Subway. Garden City one, last I saw was a smoothie place I'd never heard of. Can't find anything online though so not sure.

Flint1979

Quote from: doorknob60 on October 15, 2018, 03:19:10 PM

Like Target? ;)

The Walmart on Fairview in Meridian, ID has a Burger King inside, so you could probably get an ICEE there. I don't think I've ever seen another Walmart with BK though, the other 2 in Meridian are Subway. The Boise and Caldwell ones are McDonalds. The 2 in Nampa are McDonalds and Subway. Garden City one, last I saw was a smoothie place I'd never heard of. Can't find anything online though so not sure.
The one in Skokie, Illinois has a BK inside it, as mentioned already.

jp the roadgeek

A couple of Walmarts near me have Dunkin Donuts in them.  One of them is about 1000 feet from a freestanding Dunkin location.  But this is New England, so there has to be one within a 1 mile radius of any given spot.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

tchafe1978

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 14, 2018, 09:55:14 PM
I have only seen McDonald's and Subway in Walmart's. I remember though when they had a restaurant called Radio Grill in them. I never have been in a Radio Grill so I have no idea what it's even like but I remember the name. I think it was owned by Walmart.

The Radio Grill was in the old Walmarts that were just general merchandise stores, before they basically all went supercenter. It wasn't a separate company, just another division of Walmart. It was just basically a snack bar, though you could get a burger, hot dog, or other sandwiches and snacks. The Radio Grill wasn't necessary in a supercenter, because most have a deli that serves hot food along with a tenant restaurant, which is usually a Subway or McDonald's.

Flint1979

I'm trying to think if I can recall any Michigan Walmart locations having anything but a Subway in them. All of them around me have Subway's and I count 12 Subway locations in Saginaw which is wayyyyyyy too many locations.

Takumi

Most Targets around Richmond have a Starbucks as opposed to a snack bar.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ftballfan

The Clio Kmart (across I-75 from a Walmart) survives for now

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on October 15, 2018, 06:41:28 PM
The Clio Kmart (across I-75 from a Walmart) survives for now
I'm always surprised how that one hangs on. I haven't been in that one in awhile but the last time I was I counted maybe 4 or 5 other people in there not counting employees. There's also a Meijer at the next exit 5 miles away in Birch Run. It's the only one left in Genesee County.

thenetwork

Meijer has in it's sights a superstore to be built in suburban Cleveland (Seven Hills)...

One problem (for now):  What will be Kmart's last location in the Cleveland Area (2nd to last if you include Brunswick), occupies a good chunk of that proposed Meijer property -- and yet it has survived the chopping block AGAIN!!

https://www.cleveland.com/seven-hills/index.ssf/2018/10/seven_hills_planning_commissio_1.html

Only a matter of time...

vdeane

I can't help but wonder if that's intentional.  Sears/Kmart trying to hobble a competitor by keeping a store the competitor needs land from in business?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thenetwork

Quote from: vdeane on October 16, 2018, 01:06:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if that's intentional.  Sears/Kmart trying to hobble a competitor by keeping a store the competitor needs land from in business?

Interestingly, that particular Kmart is the only discount department store in at least a 5 mile radius in suburbia so they have no direct competitors nearby.

I'm sure Kmart is trying to get as much money for their property that they can from Meijer.  Meijer will wait it out until the ultimate fire sale of remaining Kmarts/Sears stores happens and they'll get the property for dirt cheap.  Meijer will do very well in that area when it finally gets built.

rawmustard

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2018, 03:58:18 PM
I'm trying to think if I can recall any Michigan Walmart locations having anything but a Subway in them. All of them around me have Subway's and I count 12 Subway locations in Saginaw which is wayyyyyyy too many locations.
When the Walmart in Battle Creek first opened (as only a general merchandise store), it had a McDonald's which sublet where Walmart's generic snack bar would have been in other stores. I'm pretty sure this location went away at about the same time a standalone McDonald's opened across the road.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: rawmustard on October 18, 2018, 10:02:19 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2018, 03:58:18 PM
When the Walmart in Battle Creek first opened (as only a general merchandise store), it had a McDonald's which sublet where Walmart's generic snack bar would have been in other stores. I'm pretty sure this location went away at about the same time a standalone McDonald's opened across the road.

In the newer Walmarts near me, they both have Subways within them, and a more recent addition of the Philly Pretzel Factory (which oddly doesn't make the same style pretzels found in their shopping center locations). Older locations have McDonalds.  In many cases, there are traditional standalone stores nearby as well.

Flint1979

One big drawback of having a McDonald's location is that a restaurant inside a Walmart can't operate a drive-thru window. McDonald's does probably about half their business in the drive-thru. It seems like Subway is the go to restaurant for the inside of a Walmart more so than McDonald's anymore though. I know of at least one Walmart in the Chicago area that has a Burger King in it.

inkyatari

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 18, 2018, 10:38:20 AM
One big drawback of having a McDonald's location is that a restaurant inside a Walmart can't operate a drive-thru window. McDonald's does probably about half their business in the drive-thru. It seems like Subway is the go to restaurant for the inside of a Walmart more so than McDonald's anymore though. I know of at least one Walmart in the Chicago area that has a Burger King in it.

When I worked at a McD's in the early 90's, I was told we did 75% of our business through the drive thru
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

1995hoo

Based solely on observation of relative line lengths, I'd guess 75% is an underestimate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.