News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Name of the shape on the New York state route marker?

Started by MNHighwayMan, February 02, 2017, 07:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Is there a name for this shape? Or at least some way to concisely describe it?

bandit957

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 02, 2017, 07:10:57 PM
Is there a name for this shape? Or at least some way to concisely describe it?

It looks like a book blowing a bubble.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I also think it looks sort of like the Children's Television Workshop sign they used to hold up at the end of 'Sesame Street'.

bandit957

cl94

We've been over this many times. It's the state coat of arms.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEVIN_224

To me, it always look like a kid drew the big center piece of a wrestling championship belt.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on February 02, 2017, 07:40:33 PM

It's a poor simulation of it, then. A more accurate representation of the coat of arms would be the Mexican federal route marker.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

My apologies if it's been asked many times. I searched and couldn't find anything, though.

empirestate

Alps

I thought it had a mountain in the middle to symbolize the Catskills and Adirondacks.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 02, 2017, 09:47:55 PM

My apologies if it's been asked many times. I searched and couldn't find anything, though.

Who's "we"? I've never seen this question asked either. If it's been covered in the Northeast thread, not everyone posts in there. Myself for example. Probably MNHighwayMan as well.

Quote from: empirestate on February 02, 2017, 11:33:43 PM
Except...it isn't.

No kidding. It looks vaguely like a very simplified version of the shield in the middle, but that's about it.

If they wanted it to actually look like the shield in the middle, they should have just taken the shield verbatim. It's a very workable design that could be easily stretched to accommodate three digits. In fairness, I quite like New York's shield design as-is (it reminds me of the Autobahn highway shield).

SidS1045

Except …it isn't.

To be more precise, it's an outline shape drawn around the coat of arms.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

empirestate

Quote from: jakeroot on February 03, 2017, 01:33:11 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 02, 2017, 09:47:55 PM

Who's "we"? I've never seen this question asked either. If it's been covered in the Northeast thread, not everyone posts in there. Myself for example. Probably MNHighwayMan as well.

I have definitely heard it a number of times before. I may even have seen the source of the claim, many moons ago, but I can't directly recall it right now. But as you can probably tell, I've focused on my home state since the early days of online roadsdom.

Except...it isn't.

No kidding. It looks vaguely like a very simplified version of the shield in the middle, but that's about it.

If they wanted it to actually look like the shield in the middle, they should have just taken the shield verbatim. It's a very workable design that could be easily stretched to accommodate three digits. In fairness, I quite like New York's shield design as-is (it reminds me of the Autobahn highway shield).

Well, it's not the shield as depicted in this rendering of the coat of arms, although heraldry tells us that arms can be drawn in any way that matches the blazon. So it's possible there's another rendering of the arms that used this shield shape, and that's what it's based on, but that's a stretch.

As for its name, well, it's certainly a shield of some kind, and the heraldic term for that is an escutcheon. So, to answer the OP, that's your best bet for what to call it. (Of course, the US and Interstate shields are also escutcheons, as are some other states' and countries', so the term doesn't uniquely describe this exact shape.)

hbelkins

I thought I had posted here yesterday. The coat of arms looks more like Mexico's federal route marker than it does New York's state route marker.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2017, 11:14:10 AM
I thought I had posted here yesterday. The coat of arms looks more like Mexico's federal route marker than it does New York's state route marker.

I think you're missing something fundamental here.  It's not the shield in the middle of the seal; it's all of it.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2017, 11:42:11 AM

I think you're missing something fundamental here.  It's not the shield in the middle of the seal; it's all of it.

That one I'm not so sure about. For the record, I don't doubt that it's the shield from the coat of arms; I only point out that it doesn't resemble it in the image given, nor can I recall the citation establishing that origin. However, doing a Google image search for the state seal, I do indeed find some other renderings that look a little more like the route marker (and some that definitely don't). Also, the early design of the route marker is somewhat taller than many current variants, and thus looks at least a bit closer to the "Mexico"-shaped escutcheon in the current arms (see: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg160222#msg160222).

hbelkins

That wasn't included in the first image.

Buck87

If that's the case, it's a really obscure way to come up with a shape

jakeroot

Quote from: empirestate on February 03, 2017, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 03, 2017, 01:33:11 AM

I have definitely heard it a number of times before. I may even have seen the source of the claim, many moons ago, but I can't directly recall it right now. But as you can probably tell, I've focused on my home state since the early days of online roadsdom.

Well, I would hope you had heard of the inquiry before. You're name is empirestate! :-D

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on February 03, 2017, 01:29:56 PM

That one I'm not so sure about. For the record, I don't doubt that it's the shield from the coat of arms; I only point out that it doesn't resemble it in the image given, nor can I recall the citation establishing that origin. However, doing a Google image search for the state seal, I do indeed find some other renderings that look a little more like the route marker (and some that definitely don't). Also, the early design of the route marker is somewhat taller than many current variants, and thus looks at least a bit closer to the "Mexico"-shaped escutcheon in the current arms (see: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg160222#msg160222).

So, apparently, it's me who's missing something fundamental...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

machias

I'm pretty sure it's the coat of arms without the indents near the top on the side so that it didn't get confused with the US Route Marker. If you look at the original incarnation of the route shield, it's a little more of a vertical rectangle than what we have today.

kphoger

Or it's just a shield that happens to bear some resentence to the coat of arms by virtue of, well, their both being shields.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

When I first saw one on my first roadtrip into the area (mid-late 1990s), my first thought was 'Chippendale'.

Mike

abqtraveler

Quote from: mgk920 on February 04, 2017, 12:20:06 PM
When I first saw one on my first roadtrip into the area (mid-late 1990s), my first thought was 'Chippendale'.

Mike

It's the state Coat of Arms.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

jakeroot

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 04, 2017, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 04, 2017, 12:20:06 PM

It's the state Coat of Arms.

Are you following along or...?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.