News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Canaan Valley, WV vs. McGaheysville, VA

Started by kennyshark, May 11, 2017, 08:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyshark

OK, my fellow roadgeek peeps, I could use your input, please.  For those of you familiar with West Virginia and Virginia, my destination for summer vacation is virtually a coin toss between Canaan Valley, WV and McGaheysville, VA. 

Both are in beautiful mountainous areas (I love mountains).  Recreational opportunities are similar, with the WV having a slight edge in waterfalls (Blackriver Falls State Park vs. various trail-accessible waterfalls in Shenandoah National Park).  The WV site is also less than an hour to Deep Creek Lake in western MD.

On the other hand, the VA site does have Shenandoah, Skyline Drive and closer proximity to Washington, DC, if we want to do a day trip.

Thoughts?

Thanks for anything youse guys can offer.

froggie

If you want to get away from population density in general, Canaan Valley.  In Canaan Valley, you're also not too far from the highest points in West Virginia (Spruce Knob, driveable) and Maryland (Backbone Mtn, ~1mi hike fm US 219), what claims to be the "worlds smallest church" (Silver Lake, WV along US 219), and the Fairfax Stone/headwaters of the Potomac River (outside Thomas, WV).

For day trips to see stuff, McGaheysville definitely has the edge.  Besides DC, there's the JMU campus in nearby Harrisonburg, Monticello (Thomas Jefferson) and Ash Lawn-Highland (James Monroe) not too far away outside Charlottesville, and a lot more Civil War history in Virginia.  Also, some of my favorite views (and 2 of my favorite hikes) are less than an hour from McGaheysville.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2017, 10:58:44 AM
If you want to get away from population density in general, Canaan Valley.  In Canaan Valley, you're also not too far from the highest points in West Virginia (Spruce Knob, driveable) and Maryland (Backbone Mtn, ~1mi hike fm US 219), what claims to be the "worlds smallest church" (Silver Lake, WV along US 219), and the Fairfax Stone/headwaters of the Potomac River (outside Thomas, WV).

I accidentally stumbled upon another small church, this one on KY 92 north of Monticello in Wayne County. It's on the road to my grandfather's old fishing camp that I sold last year, but I had never noticed it until my last trip down there to put "for sale" signs on the lot. I think it may also make the claim of being the world's smallest church. I'd have to check my photos to see. I've been in the one in West Virginia and it is small.

Kennyshark, are you wanting to do any roadgeeking/exploring while you're there? Canaan Valley has proximity to Corridor H.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kennyshark

Not necessarily roadgeeking, just enjoying nature, getting away, destressing and putting the noggin on hold for the week.

Mapmikey

If you end up in McGaheysville, pay a visit to Hanks Smokehouse on US 33 a little west of Massanutten.  Really good food there...

kennyshark

For the record, it's McGaheysville-my Canaan Valley option was booked.  Either place is a "can't lose" choice.  And I'll have the chance to experience several roadgeek things, such as a PA Turnpike tunnel, Breezewood (yay!), Skyline Drive and (maybe) the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

1995hoo

froggie mentioned Monticello and Ash Lawn, which are on the same road. If you're into that sort of history, another place to visit nearby is Montpelier (James Madison's house), located on VA-20 just north of Barboursville. There are also two pretty good wineries right near Montpelier if you like wine–Barboursville Vineyards and Horton Vineyards. The restaurant at Barboursville Vineyards is supposedly outstanding (a fine dining destination, not a casual stop), although I have not yet been there to verify that. We thought about going there next weekend because my wife and I both have birthdays coming up, but other things interfered, so maybe next year.

Charlottesville is, of course, worth a visit as well if you've never seen the University. My favorite casual restaurant in town is the Shebeen, a South African pub near downtown across Ridge-McIntire Road from the Omni Hotel. It's in the tiny shopping center next to the McDonald's, but don't let the location put you off. First-rate place. The mussel appetizer is outstanding–the sauce is so good I want to pick up the bowl and drink it. For something different that's near there, you could try Bang, which is at Second and South Streets SW. It's essentially Oriental tapas. Been a few years since I've been there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.