News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Fastest-growing suburbs

Started by webny99, June 02, 2017, 10:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: empirestate on June 22, 2017, 09:01:18 PM
An interesting tangent is suggested by this topic, along with the 2016 population estimates thread: in which states is a suburban municipality its second-largest? Are there any states yet where the largest municipality is a suburb? If not, which is likely to be first?
Wilmington DE is considered to be a suburb of Philly. Newark NJ is considered to be a suburb of NYC.

JJBers

Quote from: dvferyance on June 22, 2017, 10:52:23 PM
An interesting tangent is suggested by this topic, along with the 2016 population estimates thread: in which states is a suburban municipality its second-largest? Are there any states yet where the largest municipality is a suburb? If not, which is likely to be first?
Wilmington DE is considered to be a suburb of Philly. Newark NJ is considered to be a suburb of NYC.
Bridgeport, Connecticut is a outer-subrurb of New York; is the largest city in the state. Even then the 6th largest, Norwalk, is also part of the area.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

DTComposer

-Henderson (suburb of Las Vegas) is the second-largest city in Nevada.

-Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia, and is considered somewhat suburban compared to Norfolk.

jwolfer

Newark, NJ and Wilmington,DE are part of the metro areas.  But they are not suburban in character at all.

If either state were not very close NYC or Philadelphia, Newark ans Wilmington would be major cities on their own.

Some old actor, author or comedian supposedly moved to NYC and he got iff the bus in Newark and thought he was in NYC. At least i remember hearing that somewhere, sorry very long day and cant sleep... Memory recall sucks.

LGMS428

Chris

silverback1065

what is the largest american suburb? exburb?

Chris

Mesa, Arizona has a population of 484,500 and is typically considered to be the largest suburb in the U.S.

empirestate

Quote from: jwolfer on June 23, 2017, 01:53:14 AM
Newark, NJ and Wilmington,DE are part of the metro areas.  But they are not suburban in character at all.

If either state were not very close NYC or Philadelphia, Newark ans Wilmington would be major cities on their own.

Agreed; and Bridgeport as well. But on the other hand...

Quote from: Chris on June 23, 2017, 09:20:24 AM
Mesa, Arizona has a population of 484,500 and is typically considered to be the largest suburb in the U.S.

Mesa did come immediately to my mind, although it doesn't beat out Tucson for second-largest. But even Mesa has a little bit of its own identity; it and Phoenix were settled and incorporated at about the same time, and for a while it was probably hard to determine which was secondary to the other, if at all.

So where's the line between Phoenix-Mesa and NYC-Newark, NYC-Bridgeport or Philadelphia-Wilmington? Even though Newark, Bridgeport and Wilmington are distinct cities in their own right, NYC and Philly have always been the core settlement.

Eth

Germantown, MD (~90k) is actually a CDP, but were it incorporated, it would be the state's second-largest city. Instead, it's Frederick (65k), which could possibly be considered a suburb depending on your definition.

Brandon

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 22, 2017, 09:34:39 PM

Aurora, Illinois would fit for the suburb being the 2nd largest municipality.

It's next to the 5th largest in the state (Naperville), and not far from the 3rd (Joliet).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US 89

Meridian ID, Aurora IL, West Valley City UT, and South Burlington VT are all suburbs and the second largest cities in their states.

Overland Park KS and Jersey City NJ are the second largest cities in their states, but they are suburbs of a city in another state.

In Virginia, the largest municipality is Virginia Beach. Depending on how you count the Hampton Roads area, it could fit "largest city is a suburb".

doorknob60

An interesting tangent is suggested by this topic, along with the 2016 population estimates thread: in which states is a suburban municipality its second-largest?

The already mentioned Meridian, ID is now Idaho's second largest city. The 3rd largest (Nampa, which was second largest until very recently) would also fit.

mgk920

Not yet the most populous muni in its state, but due to the (ill-conceived, IMHO) 'Poundstone' law, I can see Aurora, CO overtaking Denver, CO as the state's most populous muni within the next decade or two.

Mike

DTComposer

Quote from: mgk920 on June 23, 2017, 09:49:32 PM

Not yet the most populous muni in its state, but due to the (ill-conceived, IMHO) 'Poundstone' law, I can see Aurora, CO overtaking Denver, CO as the state's most populous muni within the next decade or two.

Mike

That may be a bit hyperbolic - if Aurora maintained its current growth rate (nearly 20% per decade) and Denver simply stopped growing right now, Aurora would pass Denver in about forty years - around 2055.

silverback1065

Mike

what is poundstone?  and i don't think denver can grow anymore landwise, so it's possible.

Big John

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 23, 2017, 10:55:10 PM

Mike

what is poundstone?  and i don't think denver can grow anymore landwise, so it's possible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundstone_Amendment

A state constitutional amendment limiting Denver from annexing more land.

silverback1065

Quote from: Big John on June 23, 2017, 11:03:30 PM

Mike

That's a horrible law. But I like how small and compact Denver is, they fucked up here in Indianapolis with unigov.

Nexus 6P

thenetwork

Denver and it's metro area is bursting at the seams.  Right now a lot of the area south of Denver (Douglas County) and C/E-470 is where the once rural areas are being built up in both residential and commercial acreage.

dvferyance

Mike

So I guess that means the unincorporated territory just to the north will always be that. never made much sense to me as to why the Denver city limits end just north of downtown.

bing101

golden eagle

Quote from: dvferyance on June 24, 2017, 09:55:39 AM

Mike

So I guess that means the unincorporated territory just to the north will always be that. never made much sense to me as to why the Denver city limits end just north of downtown.

Isn't Denver also a county? That may be why they can't annex.

golden eagle

Not yet in Mississippi, but I expect within the next 15-20 years, Southaven (Memphis suburb) will surpass Gulfport as the state's second-largest city.

US 89

Quote from: golden eagle on July 01, 2017, 07:08:51 PM

Mike

Yeah, Denver is a consolidated city and county, and changing county boundaries usually requires permission from higher state authorities.

The way I understand it, this Poundstone thing makes it so that even the state government can't change the boundaries, unless the Colorado state constitution is amended again.

mgk920

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 01, 2017, 07:25:10 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on July 01, 2017, 07:08:51 PM

Mike

Yeah, Denver is a consolidated city and county, and changing county boundaries usually requires permission from higher state authorities.

The way I understand it, this Poundstone thing makes it so that even the state government can't change the boundaries, unless the Colorado state constitution is amended again.

Like it was about 30 years or so ago in a statewide referendum that allowed the Denver International Airport to be in the city.

The recently created Broomfield city/county was also approved in a statewide referendum.

Mike

bing101

Elk Grove,Ca just south of Sacramento was once listed as the fastest growing suburb in Northern California along with a Bay Area exburb Tracy at one point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.