News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What makes "lane ends merge left" situations so prevalent in Minnesota?

Started by WISFreeways, August 06, 2017, 12:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISFreeways

It seems like a good idea, extending the auxillary lane several hundred feet past the exit so as to smooth out weaving, why is it only used predominantly in Minnesota, and in what cases would it not be optimal?
2009-era me chose this generic username...

jakeroot

We talked about this over in the Washington thread a few weeks ago: https://goo.gl/3zfeiX

It's also very common in Washington. The idea is to prevent traffic from flooding the non-exit-only lane. Because exit-only lanes have no merge area before the exit, it's up to the driver to be in the correct lane prior to the exit. Some drivers wait until the last second. Others just avoid the exit-only lane the moment they enter the freeway -- that last one is the real issue. If the lane merged left, drivers wouldn't feel completely obliged to be in the non-ending lane miles in advance. As a result, you get more capacity out of what would otherwise be a poorly utilised lane.

froggie

MnDOT layouts also call such a lane an "escape lane".  In particular at cloverleafs, it gives those entering from a loop ramp a few more hundred feed to speed up and merge.

J N Winkler

I found the same approach used extensively along I-27 in Lubbock, Texas, when I visited in 2004.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.