News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Missing storm drain grates on highway 280 Atlanta.

Started by bicyclehazard, November 23, 2017, 11:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bicyclehazard

I have been criticized on this forum for only looking out for the rights of cyclists. So I'm going to run this by you to see what you think. I photographed 2 missing storm drain grates on highway 280 2 years ago. GDOT tied a rope around the broken pieces at the bottom but were unable to remove them. I was able to remove them and made a partial repair. GDOT was informed and they did nothing. I traveled the route recently and found 4 others broken enough it is only a matter of time before they end up at the bottom. In addition the sign GDOT put up is in the road and being run over. Cast iron is too brittle to be used on highways, It is only a matter of time before all of them break. I don't go looking for these problems. I have the resources to deal with about one in a thousand problems that are able to kill some one. Just in case you are wondering what I was doing in the area I went to KEH and bought a forensic camera. I will be visiting them again. https://flic.kr/p/rNqJoe

corco

I don't think anybody here is going to argue with you that that is bad and should be fixed.

AsphaltPlanet

Why not email that photo to the local or state elected official who actually has the authority to do something about it?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hbelkins

Quote from: bicyclehazard on November 23, 2017, 11:13:50 AM
I have been criticized on this forum for only looking out for the rights of cyclists.

No, you're being criticized for having a screwed-up view of the law.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

QuoteGDOT tied a rope around the broken pieces at the bottom but were unable to remove them. I was able to remove them and made a partial repair.

How do you know they were unable to remove them?

bicyclehazard

Two police officers named Suk and Long chased me down. Long refused to identify his self which is illegal and took a step back because he assumed I was unable to read his name tag. Long was also unable to explain why I was stopped and was slow thinking on his feet to create a plausible lie. Wells Fargo Visa and PayPal have all  informed me that there have been two attempts to hack my financial information by the police. As a result they are informed every time my ID is run. As a member of triplenine I get free PayPal and use that account only once every 3 years so it was real easy to figure which police departments were involved. I got in officers face just enough so they will be trying to find some dirt on me. By now they are realizing they were played by which ever police officer or GDOT official aimed them in my direction. I do not wish to pick a fight with any member of the highway departments or members of this forum. But be aware I have allies with authority and legal departments.   

kphoger

Quote from: bicyclehazard on November 24, 2017, 02:49:52 PM
be aware I have allies with authority and legal departments.   

OK, I guess I'm aware.  ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mr. Matté

I guess my online pothole/road complaint form submissions to East Windsor, Mercer County, and NJDOT haven't been enough for them to send the police and Paypal after me. I need to get out more.

Ga293

Quote from: bicyclehazard on November 24, 2017, 02:49:52 PMBut be aware I have allies with authority and legal departments.   

Then why don't you get those allies with authority and legal departments to get something done about these broken storm drains?

Scott5114

Wells Fargo Visa and PayPal have all  informed me that there have been two attempts to hack my financial information by the police. As a result they are informed every time my ID is run. As a member of triplenine I get free PayPal and use that account only once every 3 years so it was real easy to figure which police departments were involved. I got in officers face just enough so they will be trying to find some dirt on me.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

silverback1065

I will say the design of some roads with bike lanes is in need of some reform.  I believe the standard width is 5', but on curbed roads, often 2'7" of this is the gutter pan, as a cyclist, I don't like this.  Often the seam (if it's an asphalt road) between the asphalt and concrete can create a hazard, and the drainage inlets also create this problem.  In the future, it would be nice to make the bike lane on a curbed road 5' not including the gutter.  the problem is bike and pedestrian facilities are often an afterthought on a project, and that's a shame.  I'm an avid cyclist, and an engineer, so I see both sides of it.

Scott5114

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 26, 2017, 10:11:52 AM
I will say the design of some roads with bike lanes is in need of some reform.  I believe the standard width is 5', but on curbed roads, often 2'7" of this is the gutter pan, as a cyclist, I don't like this.  Often the seam (if it's an asphalt road) between the asphalt and concrete can create a hazard, and the drainage inlets also create this problem.  In the future, it would be nice to make the bike lane on a curbed road 5' not including the gutter.  the problem is bike and pedestrian facilities are often an afterthought on a project, and that's a shame.  I'm an avid cyclist, and an engineer, so I see both sides of it.

Another example of that sort of thing: there's a bike lane not too far from my house that has speed bumps. They installed speed bumps on a street with a bike lane (or a bike lane on a street with speed bumps?) and the bumps encroach upon the bike lane. What's worse is that the bumps taper down toward the gutter, so you have a kind of nasty crossfall you have to bike across.

silverback1065

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 26, 2017, 10:35:55 AM

Another example of that sort of thing: there's a bike lane not too far from my house that has speed bumps. They installed speed bumps on a street with a bike lane (or a bike lane on a street with speed bumps?) and the bumps encroach upon the bike lane. What's worse is that the bumps taper down toward the gutter, so you have a kind of nasty crossfall you have to bike across.
That's a bad design. I've never seen a road with a bike lane that has a speed bump, I prefer speed tables, but those are for crosswalks. I think we need to keep in mind all forms of transportation, it is our job after all. (Designers)

Scott5114

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 26, 2017, 10:40:19 AM

That's a bad design. I've never seen a road with a bike lane that has a speed bump, I prefer speed tables, but those are for crosswalks. I think we need to keep in mind all forms of transportation, it is our job after all. (Designers)

I'd argue that speed devices of any type are bad design, but that's a different thread entirely. These speed bumps are signed as speed humps, and do have about twelve feet of flat space on top, so you might call them a table if you wanted to be generous. But the crossfall is consistent from end-to-end in the bike lane, so the difference is mostly academic.

SectorZ

I can tell you as a cyclist in an area that claims to care a lot about cycling, that said people that claim to care but don't actually ride a bicycle are merely virtue signalling for political gain or some type of imaginary karma they feel they'll receive.

ColossalBlocks

That is a recipe for a wheel getting ripped off it's axle.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

kphoger

It's really no worse than a grate whose bars run parallel to traffic.  Maybe better, actually, since it doesn't give a sense of security from a distance.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2017, 12:49:44 PM
It's really no worse than a grate whose bars run parallel to traffic.  Maybe better, actually, since it doesn't give a sense of security from a distance.

damn that's a deathtrap, i've never seen these on a road that has cyclists on it before.  typically the ones i see in indiana are perpendicular to the path of the wheel. 

Mr. Matté

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 28, 2017, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2017, 12:49:44 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bm28n3Wx6HM/VUENfTy2XBI/AAAAAAAABWo/0pFmBjpzgdI/s1600/01edf9f20284da026af223d8f3cdcf368a51322f4f.jpg

damn that's a deathtrap, i've never seen these on a road that has cyclists on it before.  typically the ones i see in indiana are perpendicular to the path of the wheel.

Don't come to Jersey; we're still chock full of these goodies from Campbell Foundry:

dmr37

Two police officers named Suk and Long chased me down. Long refused to identify his self which is illegal and took a step back because he assumed I was unable to read his name tag. Long was also unable to explain why I was stopped and was slow thinking on his feet to create a plausible lie. Wells Fargo Visa and PayPal have all  informed me that there have been two attempts to hack my financial information by the police. As a result they are informed every time my ID is run. As a member of triplenine I get free PayPal and use that account only once every 3 years so it was real easy to figure which police departments were involved. I got in officers face just enough so they will be trying to find some dirt on me. By now they are realizing they were played by which ever police officer or GDOT official aimed them in my direction. I do not wish to pick a fight with any member of the highway departments or members of this forum. But be aware I have allies with authority and legal departments.

I think Officer Suk and Officer Long had fake name tags.  Where was Officer Time?

kkt

Hacking random people's financial information doesn't really seem like typical police department style, even if you had the bad luck to get a bad cop.  If you know which officers did it, why don't you complain to the FBI?  Hacking into your financial information is a federal offense.

silverback1065

Quote from: kkt on December 04, 2017, 04:08:28 PM
Hacking random people's financial information doesn't really seem like typical police department style, even if you had the bad luck to get a bad cop.  If you know which officers did it, why don't you complain to the FBI?  Hacking into your financial information is a federal offense.

ya that sounds far fetched to me.  if it's a state road, call up the DOT and submit a maintenance request. 

7/8

I'm used to seeing the OPSD 400.01 catchbasin grates, which run diagonally (good design! :))

SectorZ

How have all of you missed BH telling us he's a member of triple nine?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.