Caltrans discontinuing Botts dots.

Started by bicyclehazard, December 15, 2017, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bicyclehazard

The reason given for this is they are too costly to replace after a snow plow takes them out. My guess is some of the larger ones are damaging the rims of the newer low profile tires. As a cyclist I don't mind the smaller trapezoid ones. By the way you can get these with LED's for your driveway. The ones embedded in cast iron cradles however are quite hazardous. I estimate 1 percent of these have come loose. They can cause a blowout in any tire.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

oscar

The "snow plows" theory doesn't explain why they are being removed on highways which are never plowed because they get no significant snow.

See the prior discussions here, here, and here about the real reasons given for the phaseout of Botts Dots. The OP could've found these with our search box, using "Botts" as the search term, as I did in less than a minute.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on December 15, 2017, 08:38:31 PM
The "snow plows" theory doesn't explain why they are being removed on highways which are never plowed because they get no significant snow.

See the prior discussions here, here, and here about the real reasons given for the phaseout of Botts Dots. The OP could've found these with our search box, using "Botts" as the search term, as I did in less than a minute.

That would require the OP to actually do research and post in a coherent thread.  :rolleyes:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.