Same interchange, four different control cities

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, December 18, 2017, 06:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

On I-94 in MN at the MN 23 interchange, there are two completely different control cities shown on the signs in each direction due to various redundant interchanges to reach places along 23.

WB 94 has these controls for MN 23: Paynesville, Waite Park
EB 94 has these: Rockville, St. Cloud

What other interchanges feature two completely different control cities based on your direction of travel? I'd like to keep it to a minimum of 4 different cities and they have to be different going in opposite directions on the route of travel.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Good topic idea! None come to mind with four, but since there have been no replies yet, I'll assume you'll be willing to accept three  :D

I-390 between Dansville and the Thruway is basically staggered when it comes to control cities.Strangely enough, there is never two controls in both directions. Still, I think it's a relevant example:
Exit 6: NB Mount Morris/Letchworth, SB Sonyea
Exit 7: NB Geneseo, SB Mount Morris/Letchworth
Exit 8: NB Lakeville/Conesus Lake, SB Geneseo
Exit 9: NB Avon, SB Lakeville/Conesus Lake

FWIW, I think freeways that run at an angle (or go all over the place, like I-390), are more likely to generate this type of control city scenario as opposed to straight N/S or E/W freeways.

bzakharin

This is cheating a bit because the exits in opposite directions dump you onto different roads, but it's the same exit number, so on the Garden State Parkway Exit 36 it's Pleasantville vs Margate City, though both list Northfield as well.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 18, 2017, 06:30:34 AM
On I-94 in MN at the MN 23 interchange, there are two completely different control cities shown on the signs in each direction due to various redundant interchanges to reach places along 23.

WB 94 has these controls for MN 23: Paynesville, Waite Park
EB 94 has these: Rockville, St. Cloud

I was thinking to myself, How did I miss that when I was there in October?  Oh yeah, the fact that I used that interchange means I didn't see half of the equation.  I was coming north up MN-23 and then east on I-94, and the reverse of that on the return trip.  So I was never west of there to see the eastbound signs.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Prior to the mid-1990s, the signage for Exit 11A (I-495) off the Mass Pike (I-90) had the westbound signage for the interchange listing Marlborough/Milford whereas the eastbound signage listed N.H.-Maine/Cape Cod.

Further west & prior to the current signage; the listed control cities for the US 20 interchange off I-84 in Sturbridge featured Brimfield & Charlton for the US 20 exits along westbound I-84 but Worcester & Palmer along eastbound I-84.

Below-photos, courtesy of Alpsroads.net.

Previous I-84 westbound signage:

Previous I-84 eastbound signage:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Not exactly 4 cities but the ACE in NJ has for the US 9 Exit going WB signed for Smithfield and Northfield, but going EB is just Pleasantville.  That is because going WB Pleasantville has another WB off and EB on that is signed for it, and the fact the US 9 interchange was given full movements later in the game as for decades the ACE and US 9 exchange was a half diamond only allowing access to and from the east due to the entire expressway being covered by the Pleasantville Toll Plaza and original engineers did not want to add a ramp toll at the time similar to Balimore's Harbor Tunnel Thruway's toll set up.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

pdx-wanderer

I-15 N is signed for Salt Lake City coming from CC 215, and for Las Vegas when coming from I-215. They both do have Los Angeles going south though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.