News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Directional" cities that lack a namesake

Started by Brandon, December 27, 2017, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

It always struck me as odd that East Chicago, while definitely east of Chicago, is in Indiana.

english si

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 19, 2018, 02:41:43 AM
The towns of Southampton and East Hampton, as well as various Hampton-ish villages and unincorporated places, are of course at the eastern tip of Long Island.

...But the Town of Hampton NY is in Washington County [where US 4 enters from Vermont], while the Town of Northampton is to the southwest of there in Fulton County [Village of Northville and part of Great Sacandaga Lake].
1) They are named after UK towns: Southampton, Northampton and Hampton, rather than in relation to each other - with the exception of East Hampton, which is named in relation to Southampton, dropping the south as East Southampton is silly!
2) I've explained the Long Island Hamptons upthread, and the English Hamptons.
3) Why does it matter that there's another, unrelated, Hampton in the same state? It's really confusing me how concerned people are in this thread about state boundaries and the like, as if all the cities within a state are named per some sort of pattern, and those not in the same state are completely and utterly unrelated.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 09:59:32 AM
It always struck me as odd that East Chicago, while definitely east of Chicago, is in Indiana.

Where the heck else would it be?  Lake Michigan?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2018, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 09:59:32 AM

Where the heck else would it be?  Lake Michigan?

If Chicago didn't touch Indiana (and not everyone knows it does), it could have been in Illinois. Or even with Chicago's current boundaries, it could have been a neighborhood within Chicago instead of a town to the east of it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Big John

Well, Illinois has at least 3 cities which are directional extensions of cities in adjoining states:  East St. Louis, East Dubuque and South Beloit.

Brandon

Quote from: Big John on February 19, 2018, 01:56:43 PM
Well, Illinois has at least 3 cities which are directional extensions of cities in adjoining states:  East St. Louis, East Dubuque and South Beloit.

Yep, and none of these count as per my original post due to having a namesake nearby that they are obviously named for.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Getting back to your original post, South Haven, Michigan.

bulldog1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 03:10:15 PM
Getting back to your original post, South Haven, Michigan.

South Haven is so named because it is south of Grand Haven. Both were havens, or ports of refuge, at the mouths of their respective rivers, the Black and Grand rivers.

wriddle082

South Pittsburg, TN.  No Pittsburg or Pittsburgh in TN, but I guess you could say that it's south of Pittsburgh, PA.  And they have a cool tied arch bridge over the Tennessee River (though it isn't painted yellow):

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0150131,-85.697498,3a,75y,72.51h,79.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2GG5JniDQEf3_YUV4Uiw_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

In the spirit of all the "Hamptons",there's Southaven, MS, whose name derives from being located south of Whitehaven, TN, now a part of Memphis.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.