News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Road Term Coined by Country Song

Started by Brian556, December 27, 2017, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

In the new song "Take Back Home Girl", by Chris Lane and Tori Kelly, they use the phrase: "no-lane road". Sounds like a good term to describe an unstriped road. Would y'all consider using this phrase?

index

I definitely wouldn't. When I see an unstriped road, I don't think of it as having no lanes (a "no-lane" road is impossible in the sense that most people will think of it), it should still be clear where you need to drive, which should be good enough for a lane on small roads like these.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

US71

A "no-lane road" sounds more like a dead end than an un-striped roadway
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

"No Lane"?  Rhymes with "so lame"!  There's always gotta be one lane!  Artistic license gone awry! 

adventurernumber1

Or perhaps, a no-lane road could describe a former road that has been closed to regular vehicular traffic (such as abandoned sections of the Pennsylvania Turnpike). Nevertheless, this is a very interesting thing to ponder on.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Hurricane Rex

A no lane road is a road that doesn't exist, or just a good road joke.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

A road without a stripe is a one-lane road.

A no-lane road would be a 4WD track, in my opinion.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

"No lane" sounds like you gotta get out and walk.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mrsman

It's a little difficult to use a term like that.  On the forum, it seems that people talk about the number of lanes in both directions like discussing 2 lane roads and four lane roads.  Growing up, I was more likely to discuss the number of lanes per direction in saying something like Wilshire Blvd has 2 lanes.  In reality, it has 7 lanes, but 1 lane is for left turns, 2 lanes are for parking (driving during rush hour times), and the remaining 4 lanes (2 in each direction) are for driving.  The number of lanes in the other direction is usually not important, especially when giving directions.

A one lane road would really refer to some narrow country road that is only wide enough for one vehicle.  Hope that somebody doesn't come at you the other way.  A standard road would be a  two-lane road (or one lane per direction).

1995hoo

In a similar vein to what mrsman says, I would refer to a road with a single lane shared by both directions as a "single-track road" (a term used in the UK, I believe, and they usually have occasional "passing places" where you pull over and yield to someone going the other way). The reason for this usage is because I would be concerned about possible ambiguity if I referred to a "one-lane road." I know some people who confusingly refer to what most of us call "two-lane roads" (one lane in each direction, often with passing over the center line in designated zones) as "one-lane roads." The same people would refer to a road like I-81 in Virginia, which generally has two lanes in each direction, as a "two-lane" highway.

In my mind, a "one-lane road" would be a road with a single lane that allows traffic to move only in one direction. I'm having trouble thinking of an example of such a road off the top of my head (I haven't been through the Whittier Tunnel and don't know if it would qualify). I suppose the category could include one-way streets that would be wide enough for multiple lanes if they didn't have parallel parking on both sides. I don't necessarily like kphoger's definition of a road without a stripe because I can think of a lot of residential streets that have no striping whatsoever (I live on such a street) but allow traffic to move in both directions, so in my mind those roads have two lanes (and, at least in Virginia, passing on such streets is legal, though usually the only reason you'd pass would be to go around a stopped vehicle).

I cannot think of a situation in which I would refer to a "no-lane road," but I guess the example adventurernumber1 offers might work. The segment of Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House comes to mind. It's definitely still a city street, but it's closed to ordinary vehicular traffic (pretty much only law enforcement and motorcades are allowed to use it), and the road was resurfaced to remove the lane markings and to give it a more decorative surface. I can't really think of any reason why I'd ever call it a "no-lane road," though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.