News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest you've been in a building/structure

Started by Buck87, January 09, 2018, 12:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

What is the highest (off the ground, not pot induced) you have been in a building or structure? This is asking how high up you were actually in the building/structure to the best of your knowledge, which I know might rather difficult to track down the exact height for (as I found when making my own list), especially for those of you how have any history working in high rises.

You can list as many as you want. My listed ended up having exactly 10 that were over 300 ft, so I capped it there (and the correct order for 5-7 is unknown as I don't know the exact height of 6 and 7 but suspect at least of of them to be higher than #5)

1) Chicago - Willis Tower Skydeck (1,353 ft)
2) New York - One World Observatory (1,254 ft)
3) New York - Empire State Building 86th floor (1,050 ft)
4) St. Louis - Gateway Arch (630 ft)
5?) Washington - Washington Monument (500 ft)
6?) Cleveland - Terminal Tower 42nd floor (of 52 in a 708 ft tall building)
7?) Columbus - Rhodes State Office Tower 40th floor (of 41 in a 629 ft tall building)
8) Sandusky, OH - Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster (420 ft)
9) Put-in-Bay, OH - Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial (315 ft)
10) Sandusky, OH - Millennium Force roller coaster (310 ft)

jeffandnicole

I've been in One World Trade Center in the observatory area, and in the restaurants or viewing areas atop the Space Needle structures in Toronto & Vegas.

If we're also talking outside, I've walked both on Hoover Dam and the new US 93 bridge at Hoover Dam.

Modifying to add: If we're basically figuring any building above the 30th floor is 300 feet or greater, then just 2 nights ago I was on the 33rd floor of the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls.

Also, seeing what others wrote: St. Louis Gateway Arch, Empire State Building & several Vegas hotels.

hotdogPi

1. Sears Tower (1353 feet, same as yours)
2. Empire State Building, 102nd floor (1224 feet)
3. 30 Rockefeller Plaza
4. Washington Monument
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

corco

1. Sears Tower, Chicago
2. Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai
3. John Hancock Building, Chicago

paulthemapguy

1 and 2 are definitely the Sears Tower Skydeck and the Seattle Space Needle.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

abefroman329

Oh, that's easy: When I went and saw a Pink Floyd cover band at a theater in Northern Virginia in 2009.

1995hoo

Post edited a second time because I realized that if I listed both observation levels at the Twin Towers and the Empire State Building, I should list both levels at the CN Tower.

1. CN Tower at 1,465 feet (at the time this was called the Space Deck; it is apparently now called the SkyPod).
2. World Trade Center outdoor observation deck at 1,377 feet.*
3. World Trade Center indoor observation deck at 1,310 feet.*
4. Empire State Building 102d floor at 1,224 feet.
5. CN Tower main indoor observation deck at 1,135 feet. (The glass floor wasn't there yet when we visited in 1986.)**
6. Empire State Building 86th floor at 1,050 feet.

*Edited to add: "World Trade Center" referring to the former World Trade Center in New York, not the new one.
**I think the CN Tower's configuration at the time (August 1986) had you go to the outdoor observation level at 1,122 feet to board the elevator back down, but I don't remember for sure and I don't know where my pictures from that trip might be. This would bump the Empire State Building to 7th on the list if I were to list it separately.

Beyond that, I don't know. I've been to the top of the Gateway Arch and the Washington Monument; I've also been up near the top of the Wells Fargo Center in Denver and the Harbour Centre (Vancouver Lookout) in Vancouver. Not sure where else I may have been. I recall at least one job interview in New York on the 53d floor of some building on Lexington Avenue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

inkyatari

1) Chicago - Sears Tower (not Willis!) Skydeck
2) Vegas - Stratosphere Tower - High ROller rollercoaster
3) Seattle - Space Needle

4) New York - Empire State Building
5) St. Louis - Gateway Arch
6) Knoxville Tennessee - Sunsphere
7) DC - Washington Monument

Heh.  Went to NYC in 1999 for a friend's wedding.  We were trying to decide to go up either the Empire State Building on the World Trade Center.  We went up the Empire State Building, saying "We'll go up the World Trade Center next time we come to NYC..."

Well, there were two problems.  We never went back to NYC.  The second problem is obvious.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Sears Tower (the real name)
John Hancock
Space Needle
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

I’ve been to:
Empire State Building
Rockefeller Center tower
Space Needle
Gateway Arch
Washington Monument
Coit Tower

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US 89

SSOWorld

1) Chicago - Sears Tower Skydeck (1,353 ft)  (get it right :bigass:)
2) New York - Empire State Building 102nd floor (1,050 ft)
3) Chicago - John Hancock observatory (1030 ft)
4) Vegas - Stratosphere Tower (870 ft)
5) New York - 30 Rock Upper deck (Top of the rock) (840 ft)
6) St. Louis - Gateway Arch (630 ft)
7) San Francisco - Embarcadero Center 1 41st floor (of 45 in a 568 ft tall building) - (No longer exists)
8) Dallas - Reunion Tower (557 ft)
9) Santa Clarita, CA - Superman - Escape from Krypton Roller Coaster (415 ft)
10) San Francisco - Coit Tower (209 ft)

Quite a few in between - too lazy to find.

Quote from: Buck87 on January 09, 2018, 12:11:05 PM
8) Sandusky, OH - Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster (420 ft) Are you sure it wasn't pot induced?
:awesomeface: :awesomeface: :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Eth

I've been to the top of the Westin in downtown Atlanta (723 feet — well, I guess maybe slightly less since I was still inside the building). Pretty sure I haven't beaten that.

bulldog1979

1) St. Louis: Gateway Arch, 630 feet
2) Straits of Mackinac: South Tower of the Mackinac Bridge, 552 feet
3) Sandusky, Ohio: Top Thrill Dragster, 420 feet

HazMatt

Some work, some fun.  You'll never guess who I've done contract work for.

Toronto - CN Tower - Glass Floor (1122 ft)
New York - Empire State Building observation deck (86th floor I believe) (1050 ft)
New York - Bank of America Tower (I think 50th out of 55 floors - around 700 ft)
St Louis - Gateway Arch  (630 ft)
Charlotte - Bank of America Corporate Center (58th out of 60 floors - over 600 ft)
San Antonio - Tower of the Americas (560 ft)
Fontana Dam - 480 ft

oscar

Highest I ever went, like HazMatt, is the CN Tower's glass floor level (1122 ft.).

I've been high up in some fairly tall office buildings in New York City and Los Angeles, but for work so I wasn't paying attention to how high I went. And besides the CN Tower, I never visited high buildings as a tourist. I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm not a fan of big cities, which is where most of the high buildings are located.

I've been tempted to visit the glass-bottomed Skywalk jutting out about 70 feet from the south rim of the Grand Canyon (on tribal lands west of the national park). The promotional website says that from the Skywalk you can see about 4000 feet down to the bottom of the canyon. However, it appears that if you could drop something from the Skywalk, it would fall only about 800 feet max, onto the side of the canyon. Also, the Skywalk is at the same level as the canyon rim, no climb or elevator needed. Another show-stopper for me is that apparently you're not allowed to bring your own camera on the Skywalk, so I couldn't replicate the photo I took at the CN Tower downward between my feet through the glass floor.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

Hilton Niagara Falls, at the 50th Floor.

Seems to be about 450-500 feet; since it was proposed for 58 stories at 581 feet, but cut back to 51, by my count of elevator floors.)

index

Fury 325 at Carowinds, 325 feet tall. If you don't count rollercoasters then I haven't been higher than maybe 228 feet off the ground on the Verrazano-Narrows bridge.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

SSOWorld

Quote from: HazMatt on January 09, 2018, 07:21:29 PM
Some work, some fun.  You'll never guess who I've done contract work for.

Toronto - CN Tower - Glass Floor (1122 ft)
New York - Empire State Building observation deck (86th floor I believe) (1050 ft)
New York - Bank of America Tower (I think 50th out of 55 floors - around 700 ft)
St Louis - Gateway Arch  (630 ft)
Charlotte - Bank of America Corporate Center (58th out of 60 floors - over 600 ft)
San Antonio - Tower of the Americas (560 ft)
Fontana Dam - 480 ft
Dam it! you fooled me.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman65

Chicago- Sears Tower
New York- The World Trade Center (Original Twin Towers)
Las Vegas- Stratosphere
San Antonio- The Tower of the Americas
Niagara Falls- Skylon Tower
Gettysburg, PA- National Tower before the feds seized the land it was on to declare it a national park so it could be legally torn down per Gettysburg residents who complained the thing was an eyesore).
Reading, PA-  The Pagoda
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

For me it appears to be the Shanghai World Financial Centre, with an observatory height of 1,555 ft. Probably in my top 5 would be the adjacent Jin Mao Tower and the nearby Oriental Pearl Tower, along with the Empire State Building (102nd floor) and the CN Tower.

Bruce

Just the West Coast:

1. Columbia Center Tower Club, Seattle (967 ft)
2. Space Needle observation deck, Seattle (600 ft)
3. Insignia Towers rooftop deck, Seattle (440 ft)
4. Los Angeles City Hall observation deck, Los Angeles (430 ft)

Hurricane Rex

200 ft above ground or more in a building.
1. Willis tower, Chicago: 1383 ft.
2. Columbia tower Seattle: 970 ft.
3. Eiffel Tower Paris: 900 ft.
4. Portland City Grill, US Bankorp Tower, Portland, 350 ft.
5. Notre Dame, also in Paris: 220 ft.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

allniter89

1~Buffalo NY hotel 25 floor.
2~Troy, MI--Troy Towers 10th floor. I spent a lot of time on the balcony ass the backside of the bldg faced I 75. I enjoyed the view & watching traffic.
3~ Ft Walton Beach, FL Dr 3rd floor office.
4~Ft Walton Beach, FL Dr 2nd floor office. :no:

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.