News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sam's Club store closings

Started by LM117, January 11, 2018, 02:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Someone should write a letter to their Bentonville Home Offices...

Here is a draft of mine:

*Note: This is subject to revision!

Dear Walmart,

WTF? Y u b closin' Sammy's?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

KEVIN_224

On the list are Manchester and Vernon, CT. The closing which surprises me is one in the south end of Worcester, MA. It's in a fairly new plaza right next to MA Route 146. I don't think it was even there for 5 years! :(

US71

Quote from: LM117 on January 11, 2018, 02:41:44 PM
Walmart is closing 63 (so far) Sam's Club stores.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

So ironic considering they just promised pay raises to Walmart associates. :hmmm:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: US71 on January 11, 2018, 05:11:39 PM

So ironic considering they just promised pay raises to Walmart associates. :hmmm:
And that’s how they’re paying for it, because you know it ain’t coming out of the executives’ pockets.

On topic, one in the Richmond area is affected by this.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tchafe1978

I don't buy their excuse they put out on Twitter stating that they are refocusing their locations. Whatever you say, man. And how crappy to find out the place you work at is closing as you head in to work. How about a little advance notice, eh?

LM117

Quote from: US71 on January 11, 2018, 05:11:39 PM

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. /s

LM117

Quote from: tchafe1978 on January 11, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
I don't buy their excuse they put out on Twitter stating that they are refocusing their locations. Whatever you say, man. And how crappy to find out the place you work at is closing as you head in to work. How about a little advance notice, eh?

Yeah, the whole thing reeks of bullshit, IMO. I feel bad for those employees having to find out they're out of a job the hard way. Total dick move.

formulanone

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 11, 2018, 02:56:35 PM
Dear Walmart,

WTF? Y u b closin' Sammy's?

Why yes, this letter will make them change their mind about store closings, without questioning your age and disposable income levels.

kalvado

Whatever it worth - in Upstate NY they closed stores in Rochester and Syracuse, where Costco is an alternative - but keep stores in Albany and Buffalo, where there is no Costco.

ftballfan

Sam's is pulling out of Rochester and Syracuse completely, while staying in Watertown and Binghamton. Costco is in both Rochester and Syracuse, while Syracuse also has BJ's

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 11, 2018, 04:50:50 PM
On the list are Manchester and Orange, CT. The closing which surprises me is one in the south end of Worcester, MA. It's in a fairly new plaza right next to MA Route 146. I don't think it was even there for 5 years! :(

FTFY.  Seems like those 3 were chosen because there are BJ's or Costco nearby all of them.  Manchester has a BJ's, there's a Costco right down Route 1 just into Milford, and there's a BJ's in Auburn.  There isn't a BJ's or a Costco on the Berlin Turnpike, so that one stays open. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Some of them are going to be converted into online fulfillment centers, from what I read. Sounds like Walmart is responding to competition from online retailers like Amazon.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: ftballfan on January 11, 2018, 11:44:10 PM
Sam's is pulling out of Rochester and Syracuse completely, while staying in Watertown and Binghamton. Costco is in both Rochester and Syracuse, while Syracuse also has BJ's
Rochester also has BJ's.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Quote from: vdeane on January 12, 2018, 12:41:46 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on January 11, 2018, 11:44:10 PM
Rochester also has BJ's.

Appears BJ's has put out a call to former Sam's Club Associates saying they are hiring.  :)

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 12, 2018, 11:10:39 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 11, 2018, 04:50:50 PM
On the list are Manchester and Orange, CT. The closing which surprises me is one in the south end of Worcester, MA. It's in a fairly new plaza right next to MA Route 146. I don't think it was even there for 5 years! :(

FTFY.  Seems like those 3 were chosen because there are BJ's or Costco nearby all of them.  Manchester has a BJ's, there's a Costco right down Route 1 just into Milford, and there's a BJ's in Auburn.  There isn't a BJ's or a Costco on the Berlin Turnpike, so that one stays open. 

Right...but not too far away is a Costco on Hartford Road (CT Route 71) in New Britain. It's next door to a Target, Stanley Golf Course and Exit 30 of CT Route 9. WestFarms Mall and Corbins Corner are less than a mile to the north.

US71

USA Today has published a complete list

No closures in Arkansas.

jakeroot

Quote from: kalvado on January 11, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
Whatever it worth - in Upstate NY they closed stores in Rochester and Syracuse, where Costco is an alternative - but keep stores in Albany and Buffalo, where there is no Costco.

The only three in Washington, which are all an hour from Costco's headquarters (and about a thousand actual Costco's), will be closing. Costco is stiff competition all across the country. Even stiffer here in Washington, where's it's a "local chain". The fact that any other club stores existed here at all, I found pretty remarkable.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Walmart used to crush competition and now they are just backing out?

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 13, 2018, 03:07:04 PM
Walmart used to crush competition and now they are just backing out?

IMO, the company changed a lot after Sam Walton died. They started building too fast (like the Express stores they closed a while back). Plus some competitors figured out how to work around Walmart. For example: Walmart got rid of butchers, so stores with butchers have a niche.

I think they got cocky and complacent.

Life in Paradise

I've been in some Sam's Clubs in different regions that I wondered how they stayed open when I compared them to mine, which apparently is one of the busier ones in the Midwest.  I'm guessing that they had been planning this, and they announced the raises to take the sting out of the latter closing announcement.   You also have to wonder if they ran some numbers and found that if they paid everyone more at those closing Sam's Clubs if that could take a barely "making  it" store and put it into the red.  You also have to think that Costco is hurting Sam's.  They are refurbishing our local store, and due to the changes that are being made, I can't wait for the Costco to open here in late 2018.

roadman65

Funny they are closing as in Orlando they opened up a brand new one  recently with a Walmart next door to it over in Lake Nona. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

At one point, Madison, WI was supposed to have two Sam's Clubs, now we're losing the only one we have within 40 miles of the Madison metro area. Conversely, we have two Costcos less than 20 miles apart (less as the crow flies).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadman65

Quote from: DaBigE on January 13, 2018, 08:17:46 PM
At one point, Madison, WI was supposed to have two Sam's Clubs, now we're losing the only one we have within 40 miles of the Madison metro area. Conversely, we have two Costcos less than 20 miles apart (less as the crow flies).
In Orlando they do not like to have too many Costco stores close to each other.  When OBT opened, they closed Sandlake Road over 4 miles away.  Then when they opened Millenia off I-4 by Universal, they then closed OBT and made a corporate type of wholesale store in its place.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.