News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

American Bricks

Started by bandit957, January 12, 2018, 04:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember American Bricks? They were like Legos.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Didn't there used to be a knock off called Mega Blocks also?  I seem to recall even Tyco had their own brand of knock off Legos also a long time ago. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2018, 06:04:05 PM
Didn't there used to be a knock off called Mega Blocks also?  I seem to recall even Tyco had their own brand of knock off Legos also a long time ago.

Mega Blocks is still around.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on January 12, 2018, 06:04:36 PM

That's surprising.  I used to pick up a bucket of 1,400 pieces at Meijers in the 90s to use as foundation blocks for my high rise Lego buildings.  I want to say that they ran about half the price of the real deal back then. 

Jardine

How about American Skyline ?

kkt

Quote from: Jardine on January 12, 2018, 09:16:19 PM
How about American Skyline ?

Elgo!  What a clever ploy.  No one will ever figure that out.

Snort.

roadman

Quote from: bandit957 on January 12, 2018, 04:53:40 PM
Anyone else remember American Bricks? They were like Legos.
In the US, American Plastic Bricks predated Legos (which were originally imported from Denmark through Samsonite - yes, the luggage people) by several years.  There was also a generic knockoff of American Plastic Bricks (IIRC the plastic was softer than APBs or Legos) that was only available through S&H Green Stamps stores.  A set could be attained for between one and three books of stamps, depending on the size of the set.

Another set was called Block City, which was a generic knockoff of American Skyline.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

inkyatari

How about Girder and Panel sets?

I had a couple when I was younger, and I loved them.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2018, 06:06:54 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 12, 2018, 06:04:36 PM

That's surprising.  I used to pick up a bucket of 1,400 pieces at Meijers in the 90s to use as foundation blocks for my high rise Lego buildings.  I want to say that they ran about half the price of the real deal back then.

Years ago, Lego had the rights to Spongebob, and they put out quite a few Spongebob sets.  Now Mega Blocks has rights to Spongebob for some reason.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.