News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SJW traffic light

Started by traffic light guy, January 12, 2018, 05:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Yup, apparently somebody thought that pedestrian signals were sexist, so they changed the walking man symbol, into a walking woman symbol. Is this what the world has come to now!?!?
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-03-07/female-traffic-light-signals-a-step-forward-for-equality/

jakeroot

This doesn't really bother me. I find it more funny than anything. But I'm not sure what the long term goal might be. If you replace all the ped-heads with female symbols, that's no better than what exists now.

How about, instead of one person, the displays show two people both in that "motion" pose? One female, one male?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

freebrickproductions

Inb4 lock.

Also, why are you even complaining in the first place? The change doesn't really effect anything.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

When I read the article, one question I had if "does the change in signal design mean women aren't allowed to wear pants?".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MNHighwayMan

I heard in Alanland there's a proposal to change the walk signal from a goat to a sheep.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on January 12, 2018, 06:53:40 PM
When I read the article, one question I had if "does the change in signal design mean women aren't allowed to wear pants?".

This.  Why is it even being seen as a walking man rather than a generic walking person?  I don't know about anyone else, but I never saw these symbols as even being gendered in the first place.

formulanone

Very disappointed in the lack of J-Date references.

jakeroot

Quote from: dgolub on January 12, 2018, 07:12:33 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 12, 2018, 06:53:40 PM

This.  Why is it even being seen as a walking man rather than a generic walking person?  I don't know about anyone else, but I never saw these symbols as even being gendered in the first place.

Very true. Most countries have a pedestrian crossing sign that just shows a generic human figure in the crossing pose, and there's never been a problem with that AFAIK. These are just LED versions of the same thing.

That said, if I had to guess, it'd be that the generic human figure came to represent masculinity because of restrooms, and their need for separate symbols for those who don't speak the language of the country they're in.

corco

You realize you instantly lose credibility with at least half of the forum when you come right out with charged alt-right terminology like SJW, right?

Big John

Vienna has homosexual crossing lights:

paulthemapguy

Quote from: corco on January 12, 2018, 07:41:48 PM
You realize you instantly lose credibility with at least half of the forum when you come right out with charged alt-right terminology like SJW, right?

And the use of the term "alt-right" doesn't really win you any favors either.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of a single person on whom I'm comfortable using that term.  To call them "alternative" as if they're saying anything revolutionary would be giving them too much credit.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

corco

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 12, 2018, 07:50:34 PM

And the use of the term "alt-right" doesn't really win you any favors either.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of a single person on whom I'm comfortable using that term.  To call them "alternative" as if they're saying anything revolutionary would be giving them too much credit.
A fair point.

webny99

That also assumes he had credibility to lose  :eyebrow:
Anyways, since you went there, I agree wholeheartedly.

Rothman

SJW is such a silly initialism.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

If you think that anyone who would use the term "SJW" is alt-right, then your definition of the term "alt-right" is excessively broad.  There seems to be a tendency lately to turn that label into an epithet for anyone who questions or disagrees with liberal orthodoxy, especially identity politics.  I've recently heard people describe Dave Rubin, Ben Shapiro, and Steven Pinker as alt-right.  If you're not familiar with them, all three are Jewish, two are atheists, one wears a yarmulke, and one of them is gay.  Sounds like exactly the kind of people you would have found in Charlottesville last summer!

paulthemapguy

Quote from: corco on January 12, 2018, 11:43:30 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 12, 2018, 07:50:34 PM

A fair point.

And no worries.  I think the term "social justice warrior" doesn't make sense either.  Lumping all these sensitive people into one pejorative term makes no sense, when:
1)  There is no shame in being sensitive
2)  Plenty of these people don't know how to fight for anything, like a warrior
3)  Plenty of these people actually hurt the noble cause of advocating for social justice

Calling them "social justice" anything, or calling them "warriors," would both be instances of giving many of these people too much credit.  SJW, alt-right, and cuck are modern-day nonsense words that you won't hear me say heheh
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

webny99

Quote from: dgolub on January 13, 2018, 09:18:26 AM
all three are Jewish, two are atheists

I feel obliged to mention that those statements cannot both be true.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 12:14:09 PM

They can. Jewish can be an ethnicity, not just a religion.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

webny99

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2018, 12:14:43 PM

Respectfully disagree. I think it goes without saying that if you're Jewish, then you're a Jew. And Jews very much do have a religion. Judaism, to be precise.

Anyways, this topic has officially derailed...  :-/

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 12:39:11 PM

Respectfully disagree. I think it goes without saying that if you're Jewish, then you're a Jew. And Jews very much do have a religion. Judaism, to be precise.

Your understanding of Jewish identity is ignorant of how complex it has evolved over the past century.  Derailment or not, such a narrow, myopic view comes across as sophomoric given the reality.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

This topic never had any rails to begin with.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on January 13, 2018, 12:41:53 PM

Your understanding of Jewish identity is ignorant of how complex it has evolved over the past century.  Derailment or not, such a narrow, myopic view comes across as sophomoric given the reality.

Do say more about what the reality is, then. I dont have much understanding of Judiasm, and I freely admit it, but I do know that you cannot both practice and not practice a religion (except in you-know-where).

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 13, 2018, 12:52:30 PM

This topic never had any rails to begin with.

Well, that's a given, but it went from a roadgeek-related topic to a banned topic. In relative terms, that's derailment  :D

lepidopteran

I noticed something similar on projector carts, those mobile stands used for movie projectors.

On the side of each of those is a pictogram-based safety label.  It depicts a person pushing the cart, but an X through a person pulling it, for example.  But the first item was always a taller figure standing next to a smaller figure, with an X through the latter, indicated it should be used by adults only.  Not too long ago this was modified to both a male and female "adult" figure, and an X through a shorter "boy" and "girl" pictogram.

I tried to find a picture of this label/decal online, but the best I could find was a catalog item for that type of cart -- and even there, you need to mouse over to zoom in.
https://www.displays2go.com/P-21117/AV-Carts-With-4-Wheels?st=Category&sid=28608

dgolub

Exactly.  If you're of Jewish ancestry but convert to another religion (or no religion), the Nazis would still kill you and you'd still have the right to immigrate to Israel under the Law of Return.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.