News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Phil Collins

Started by bandit957, January 15, 2018, 11:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Is Phil Collins the only singer who looks exactly like he sounds?

In my day, I used to hear his songs on the radio before I ever saw a picture or video of him. When MTV finally came to the area in 1983 and I saw his videos, I noticed he looked exactly like I expected.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

inkyatari

I'd argue Dug Pinnick of King's X sounds like he looks.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

triplemultiplex

Springsteen looks the way he sounds, I think.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

Probably as I when I first saw Adele I thought she was someone else.  Then does Celine Dion sound the way she looks?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on January 15, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
Is Phil Collins the only singer who looks exactly like he sounds?

Yes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: inkyatari on January 15, 2018, 12:10:41 PM

Pinnick is one of my heroes. That he sounds as good live, and he's now in his 60's, is amazing.

I'd concur that Collins and Pinnick match their voice to their looks more so than others.

In contrast, Michael McDonald...

Takumi

Michael Hutchence of INXS, Howlin' Pelle Almqvist of The Hives, Julian Casablancas of the Strokes.

On the female side, Lana Del Rey. (😍😍😍😍)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KEVIN_224

Then you had the white singers accused of sounding black: Lisa Stansfield, Rick Astley, George Michael, etc. I think Joss Stone got that for a while. Did they ever say that about Mick Hucknall from Simply Red, too?

Speaking of Phil Collins, my brother made a odd comparison which is Genesis related. He thinks band mate Tony Banks sounds an awful lot like Neil Tenant of the Pet Shop Boys. Yes, Tony does sing...but it's clear why Phil became their leader!  :awesomeface:

inkyatari

Quote from: SectorZ on January 15, 2018, 07:11:15 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 15, 2018, 12:10:41 PM

Pinnick is one of my heroes. That he sounds as good live, and he's now in his 60's, is amazing.

I'd concur that Collins and Pinnick match their voice to their looks more so than others.

In contrast, Michael McDonald...

How the hell does Michael hit those notes?  When I try it, I sound like someone rubbing on a balloon.

I've yet to see King''s X live.  I'm hoping they come back to Chicago soon, and that I'm free that night.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 16, 2018, 09:32:52 AM
How the hell does Michael hit those notes?  When I try it, I sound like someone rubbing on a balloon.

Video, or it didn't happen.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.