News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Double Left Turn Lanes Followed by Lane Drops

Started by webny99, February 26, 2018, 12:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

This is a particularly not-nice one that surprised me a few weeks ago. Exit ramp from I-10 WB turning left onto the Ambassador Caffery Pkwy overpass in Lafayette, LA. It's four lanes south of the bridge, and it's a busy route so a wider bridge would definitely help this area.

iPhone

jakeroot

^^
That's interesting. It's the reverse of the most common "double left followed by lane drop" scenario: left turn from arterial to on-ramp. I don't see the opposite (pictured above) too often.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2018, 09:28:19 PM
^^
That's interesting. It's the reverse of the most common "double left followed by lane drop" scenario: left turn from arterial to on-ramp. I don't see the opposite (pictured above) too often.

I actually sees the pictured (though not with ramps at such awkward angles  :paranoid:) much more often. Double lefts to on-ramps are pretty rare, and I want to say the new one on NY 15A at I-390 is one of the only ones in the area.

jakeroot

Here's a video to follow up an earlier post of mine. At the intersection of Main Street and the Dunsmuir Viaduct in Vancouver, the right left-turn lane merges into the left lane almost immediately after the left turn. It is certainly the shortest of this type of situation that I've ever encountered.

Skip to 1:00 for the actual left turn. I tried to include some context.

https://youtu.be/q3dditaRyB8

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on March 07, 2018, 07:00:41 PM
Here's a video to follow up an earlier post of mine. At the intersection of Main Street and the Dunsmuir Viaduct in Vancouver, the right left-turn lane merges into the left lane almost immediately after the left turn. It is certainly the shortest of this type of situation that I've ever encountered.

Here's an even shorter one: on the left turn from 1st Avenue to I-5 north in San Diego, the two lanes merge together during the turn.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 07, 2018, 07:49:26 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 07, 2018, 07:00:41 PM

Here's an even shorter one: on the left turn from 1st Avenue to I-5 north in San Diego, the two lanes merge together during the turn.

Yikes! That is damn short. Although from a purely practical standpoint, it doesn't seem quite as formidable as the Vancouver example due to the wide paved area (room for two cars if one doesn't properly merge for quite a while). In the Vancouver example, failure to merge is punishable by barrier impact!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.