Worst Handicap Parking Spaces

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, March 01, 2018, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

What are the worst planned handicaped spaces you have seen around?

I will update with the one that I see as a huge problem at my school.

UPDATE:

The three images are to give a wide perspective of this parking space
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

webny99

It depends what you mean by "worst planned".

IMO, the problem with handicap parking spaces is not their existence or their location, it's the volume of them. At places such as grocery stores, I never see 50% or more of them being used at once.

Brian556

The ones at Target. The sign post is in the space itself, so vehicles parked in spaces always often stick out. This is made worse because 1) Old people park about 2-3 feet from the post, and 2) People insist on driving oversized vehicles that wouldn't even fit in space anyway without the post.

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2018, 12:28:21 PM

IMO, the problem with handicap parking spaces is not their existence or their location, it's the volume of them. At places such as grocery stores, I never see 50% or more of them being used at once.

The problem is, if they were designed to satisfy the average demand, then 50% of the time, there would not be enough spaces. To prevent the problem of running out of spots, they have to add more than is normally necessary. Unfortunately, this means they'll often be empty.

It's possible, though, that your area has an excessively high number of handicap spots.

jeffandnicole

Handicap parking spots are largely a locality issue.   It's not that the store put those spots in; the town/county/state requires a certain number of spots based on building size. 

That said, Walmart has transisioned to having parallel 'Van' spots to give more room.  What happens?  Some person in a little Ford Focus pulls up and takes that spot.  Basically, some handicap people complain loudly that they want their spots (and look, I'm gonna generalize, but many of the complainers are the ones that barely qualified for the handicap placard, but now they're in the 'protected class', so they feel they can run the show), but then could give two shits about other handicap people.   Then, the vans need to park in smaller spots because Mr. Focus parked in that large spot.

I've found that time of day matters.  Go in the morning when seniors tend to be out more, and those spots are often filled.  At 10am, when Sams Club opens, nearly every spot is filled. Nevermind the fact that due to the curb cuts and such that there are actually closer spots, handicap parkers want those special blue spots.

Finally - going back to the actual subject - the Worst Handicap Space are those that don't leave the proper stripped space between the cars.  It's supposed to be a designed minimum width, which would allow for wheelchair access into the vehicle.  Most handicap spots tend to have varying widths, and many of them aren't the proper minimum width.

I know I read this somewhere...either ADA guidance or NJ State Statute, but a building doesn't need to have any specific handicap spots if they make all the parking spots the proper width for handicap access.  Obviously, due to the size of the parking lot required for that, I don't think I've ever actually seen that done.

hbelkins

OTOH, at the Walmart in Jackson, Ky.; the spaces are always full.

I got a handicapped parking permit mirror hanger last summer during my gout flare. I don't use it unless I'm having knee issues. I've been having trouble since Christmas so as a result, I have been using mine. It's practically useless at the Walmart I most frequently visit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Worst executed handicap space installation I've ever seen is at the 7-11 in Wakefield, MA.  Standard width parking berth on an upslope, with a raised concrete foundation supporting a chain link fence on the left.  Plus, to get from the space to the store, you have to mount a raised curb to the sidewalk in front of the store - and there are no ramps on either end of the sidewalk.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2018, 01:17:33 PM
Handicap parking spots are largely a locality issue.   It's not that the store put those spots in; the town/county/state requires a certain number of spots based on building size. 

That said, Walmart has transisioned to having parallel 'Van' spots to give more room.  What happens?  Some person in a little Ford Focus pulls up and takes that spot.  Basically, some handicap people complain loudly that they want their spots (and look, I'm gonna generalize, but many of the complainers are the ones that barely qualified for the handicap placard, but now they're in the 'protected class', so they feel they can run the show), but then could give two shits about other handicap people.   Then, the vans need to park in smaller spots because Mr. Focus parked in that large spot.

I've found that time of day matters.  Go in the morning when seniors tend to be out more, and those spots are often filled.  At 10am, when Sams Club opens, nearly every spot is filled. Nevermind the fact that due to the curb cuts and such that there are actually closer spots, handicap parkers want those special blue spots.

Finally - going back to the actual subject - the Worst Handicap Space are those that don't leave the proper stripped space between the cars.  It's supposed to be a designed minimum width, which would allow for wheelchair access into the vehicle.  Most handicap spots tend to have varying widths, and many of them aren't the proper minimum width.

I know I read this somewhere...either ADA guidance or NJ State Statute, but a building doesn't need to have any specific handicap spots if they make all the parking spots the proper width for handicap access.  Obviously, due to the size of the parking lot required for that, I don't think I've ever actually seen that done.
A "Van Accessible" handicap space is supposed to be standard width, but with a neutral area to the right of the space to accommodate the side gate of a wheelchair lift van.  It is illegal for ANYONE to park in that neutral space, even if they have a handicap plate/placard.

A problem in Massachusetts is the increasing misuse of handicap placards.  This is largely because, in addition to designated handicap spaces, Massachusetts has a state law that exempts handicap plate/placard holders from time limits at parking spaces.  Massachusetts also allows placard holders to block the photo on the placard from open display (privacy concerns).  These factors, coupled with the general ADA and state prohibitions on questioning someone about the nature or validity of a disability, makes it very difficult to identify and curb abuse.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Michael

Several years ago, I noticed that the row of parking spots directly in front of the grocery entrance of our local Walmart were not handicap spots, and the marked handicap spots were actually further away.  Sometime between 2011 and 2015, the closer spots were converted to handicap spots.

Here's a map of the entrance.  Note the spots directly across from the entrance in the middle of the white crosswalk area.

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on March 01, 2018, 03:38:45 PM
Worst executed handicap space installation I've ever seen is at the 7-11 in Wakefield, MA.  Standard width parking berth on an upslope, with a raised concrete foundation supporting a chain link fence on the left.  Plus, to get from the space to the store, you have to mount a raised curb to the sidewalk in front of the store - and there are no ramps on either end of the sidewalk.

Even better is it's the space where the propane tanks for sale are beyond it. I can conjecture that the "hits the gas instead of the brake" crowd is likelier to use a handicapped spot at a higher rate than the average person.

roadman

Quote from: Michael on March 01, 2018, 05:37:54 PM
Several years ago, I noticed that the row of parking spots directly in front of the grocery entrance of our local Walmart were not handicap spots, and the marked handicap spots were actually further away.  Sometime between 2011 and 2015, the closer spots were converted to handicap spots.

Here's a map of the entrance.  Note the spots directly across from the entrance in the middle of the white crosswalk area.

At Melrose Highlands commuter rail station, the handicap spots are at the exact opposite end of the platform from the mini-high platform that was constructed primarily for use by handicapped patrons.

Brian556

Not all handicap spaces must be van accessible. The ones that are not can be standard width. The van accessible ones must have the striped off area beside them.

The handicapped spaces at Target where I work fill up on busy days.

A lot of the people that park in the handicapped spaces are abusing them. Some of them are clearly using placards that are not theirs.
There are also some people that have some issue, but not a physical handicap, that are issued placards unnecessarily.

Brandon

Quote from: Brian556 on March 02, 2018, 10:08:29 AM
Not all handicap spaces must be van accessible. The ones that are not can be standard width. The van accessible ones must have the striped off area beside them.

That can vary by state, county, or even municipality.  Some require that all spaces be van accessible while others do not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jwolfer

There are some people that don't "look" handicapped but have a condition that limits their walking ability( ie chemotherapy patients)

With that being said some of the people that have placards use them as almost like a badge of honor.. As a a Doctor of Chiropractic I can write a handicapped parking permit prescription for musculoskeletal problem.. 

I recall a patient who was in a wheelchair(from childhood polio) having to park in a regular spot at our office and struggle to get out of the vehicle when the handicapped spots with curb cuts were filled with people who got placards for being obese or fibromyalgia..  they had the option of parking at a regular spot closer to the front door, so they would have walked less.. but goddamnit they were gonna use that handicapped placard.. that pissed me off

Z981

PHLBOS

On the subject of how many ADA parking spaces have to be van accessible; here's the 2010 Federal standards are for such.

In short, one out of six ADA spaces (but at least one if less than six spaces) needs to be van accessible.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jwolfer on March 02, 2018, 12:22:41 PM
There are some people that don't "look" handicapped but have a condition that limits their walking ability( ie chemotherapy patients)

Along that same line of thinking I once saw a pickup truck on "monster truck" tires parked in a handicapped spot.  I was never able to figure out what kind of disability would necessitate parking in a handicapped spot but not prevent them from climbing in and out of the truck.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheArkansasRoadgeek

With that being said some of the people that have placards use them as almost like a badge of honor.. As a a Doctor of Chiropractic I can write a handicapped parking permit prescription for musculoskeletal problem.. 

I recall a patient who was in a wheelchair(from childhood polio) having to park in a regular spot at our office and struggle to get out of the vehicle when the handicapped spots with curb cuts were filled with people who got placards for being obese or fibromyalgia..  they had the option of parking at a regular spot closer to the front door, so they would have walked less.. but goddamnit they were gonna use that handicapped placard.. that pissed me off

Z981
I actually have two impairments: Cerebral Palsy(CP) and Hydrocephalus
I am grateful I don't suffer from CP to the extent of not being able to walk and that I actually can! I have it to the slightest degree. I migine that I would not qualify for a placard. Not that I need one -- just from a medical and capable standpoint.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jemacedo9

THANK YOU for pointing this out...assumptions can be a bitch.

Not that there isn't abuse...

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on March 01, 2018, 12:56:20 PM

The problem is, if they were designed to satisfy the average demand, then 50% of the time, there would not be enough spaces. To prevent the problem of running out of spots, they have to add more than is normally necessary. Unfortunately, this means they'll often be empty.

I suppose that's true, but I think equal priority should be given to providing enough handicap spaces and providing enough regular spaces. I don't mind the provision of extra handicap spaces as long as I, too, can find a parking spot with ease. If I have to drive down two or more rows (passing all the empty handicap spots each time) looking for a spot I can use, then I become mildly irritated.

QuoteIt's possible, though, that your area has an excessively high number of handicap spots.

I wouldn't be so bold as to make that claim, as I have no hard evidence to support it. However, I won't rule it out as a possibility  :)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on March 02, 2018, 11:02:32 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on March 01, 2018, 12:56:20 PM

I suppose that's true, but I think equal priority should be given to providing enough handicap spaces and providing enough regular spaces. I don't mind the provision of extra handicap spaces as long as I, too, can find a parking spot with ease. If I have to drive down two or more rows (passing all the empty handicap spots each time) looking for a spot I can use, then I become mildly irritated.

When was the last time you saw all the spaces being used in a parking lot?  I think this is more of an issue that you want a spot close to the building, rather than just taking a spot.

If you have to drive down more than 2 rows, then most of the time you're looking for a spot closer to the building, rather than taking the first spot available in that row.  Yes, the handicap spots may be empty at that very moment.  Doesn't mean they were empty when you exited the building, while you were in the building, an hour before you arrived, etc.

It's also a matter of timing.  I could drive down a row and see 3 cars behind me back out of their spots.  The next 3 people get those parking spots, and I'm stuck parking at the end of that row.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.