FIU Pedestrian Bridge Collapse

Started by formulanone, March 15, 2018, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

This is awful. Reports of at least one fatality, several injuries as a concrete pedestrian bridge crushes several vehicles.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/miami-dade/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapses-days-after-portion-of-bridge-was-installed-

It was just installed and opened on March 10th.

The 950-ton section of the $14.2 million bridge at Southwest Eighth Street and Southwest 109th Avenue was installed Saturday. Workers at the scene told Local 10 News reporter Carlos Suarez that the bridge was undergoing some sort of stress test when it collapsed. Suarez reached out to the construction company for comment, but hasn't heard back.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials confirmed that at least six people were injured. Authorities said one was taken to Kendall Regional Medical Center as a trauma alert.

Eighth Street was closed from 107th Avenue west to Florida's Turnpike after the collapse.

FIU officials previously told reporters that the bridge was being built using Accelerated Bridge Construction methods. The university said the modular construction method reduces potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapses-onto-sw-8th-street/

The main part of the 174-foot span was assembled at the side of the road while support towers were built at either end. The 950-ton bridge was meant to connect the City of Sweetwater directly with FIU's Modesto A. Maidique Campus.

74/171FAN

I wanted to note that the bridge collapsed onto US 41 (which is 8th St here).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

UCFKnights

Quote from: formulanone on March 15, 2018, 04:34:20 PM
This is awful. Reports of at least one fatality, several injuries as a concrete pedestrian bridge crushes several vehicles.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/miami-dade/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapses-days-after-portion-of-bridge-was-installed-

It was just installed and opened on March 10th.

The 950-ton section of the $14.2 million bridge at Southwest Eighth Street and Southwest 109th Avenue was installed Saturday. Workers at the scene told Local 10 News reporter Carlos Suarez that the bridge was undergoing some sort of stress test when it collapsed. Suarez reached out to the construction company for comment, but hasn't heard back.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials confirmed that at least six people were injured. Authorities said one was taken to Kendall Regional Medical Center as a trauma alert.

Eighth Street was closed from 107th Avenue west to Florida's Turnpike after the collapse.

FIU officials previously told reporters that the bridge was being built using Accelerated Bridge Construction methods. The university said the modular construction method reduces potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-collapses-onto-sw-8th-street/

The main part of the 174-foot span was assembled at the side of the road while support towers were built at either end. The 950-ton bridge was meant to connect the City of Sweetwater directly with FIU's Modesto A. Maidique Campus.
The bridge span was installed on the 10th, it was not open yet. The access to it was not yet completed, and we don't know at this point if the bridge was fully fastened. Initial rumors are a crane cable snapped during a stress test on the bridge, but this is a rumor at this point.

formulanone

My understanding is that it wasn't open to pedestrians yet, and it occurred during the school's Spring Break.

Saw the note about the stress test, and wondered if that's standard operating procedure while traffic is passing under it?

US71

CNN reports four confirmed fatalities.

The construction company has apparently been cited in the past for shoddy work.
https://www.local10.com/news/florida/miami-dade/south-florida-company-behind-fiu-bridge-served-with-previous-lawsuit-report-says
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2018, 08:46:25 PM

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/miami-dade/south-florida-company-behind-fiu-bridge-served-with-previous-lawsuit-report-says

The haste of assembly is somewhat questionable just hearing about how fast the bridge went up.  Obviously the structure wasn't complete given it wasn't open to pedestrians but it really calls into question the construction method used.  Apparently it only took a week to put the bridge in place over US 41.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2018, 09:39:21 PM

The haste of assembly is somewhat questionable just hearing about how fast the bridge went up.  Obviously the structure wasn't complete given it wasn't open to pedestrians but it really calls into question the construction method used.  Apparently it only took a week to put the bridge in place over US 41.

That was one of my initial thoughts, that they may have moved too fast &/or taken shortcuts to speed things up.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Don't be too quick to speculate. Accelerated construction methods are very popular now. Just because it went up quick, doesn't mean it's dangerous.

Brian556

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2018, 10:30:32 PM
Don't be too quick to speculate. Accelerated construction methods are very popular now. Just because it went up quick, doesn't mean it's dangerous.

Agree

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2018, 09:50:08 PM

That was one of my initial thoughts, that they may have moved too fast &/or taken shortcuts to speed things up.

Actually, it only took a day to install the bridge.

However, it took a lot longer to construct the bridge. Just like a modular house, it was built elsewhere and then when ready, it was put into place. This type of construction method is completely normal, and used on roads and bridges and in buildings we all use every day.

Clearly, other design factors are at fault here. The basic technique though is sound.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 16, 2018, 02:11:55 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2018, 09:50:08 PM

Actually, it only took a day to install the bridge.

However, it took a lot longer to construct the bridge. Just like a modular house, it was built elsewhere and then when ready, it was put into place. This type of construction method is completely normal, and used on roads and bridges and in buildings we all use every day.

Clearly, other design factors are at fault here. The basic technique though is sound.

Didn't Alps link over something about one or two cables stays being installed on bridges board?   The fatality count was up to six this morning when I was watching the news. 

Edit:   Copied the link from Alp's thread:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article205316174.html

jeffandnicole

ET21

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 16, 2018, 10:03:11 AM
Surveillance footage captures the falling structure.  http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article205443304.html

Definitely looks like something snapped between the end and center modules
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SectorZ

What was the point of the giant sunshade thing along the length of it. Looks like completely unneeded weight on there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on March 16, 2018, 11:29:16 AM
What was the point of the giant sunshade thing along the length of it. Looks like completely unneeded weight on there.

Probably for shade for pedestrians, it's hot as balls in Miami most of the year. 

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2018, 12:06:33 PM

Probably for shade for pedestrians, it's hot as balls in Miami most of the year.
Also don't forget the summer thunderstorms. Most colleges and universities in Florida have covered walkways

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on March 16, 2018, 12:15:49 PM

Also don't forget the summer thunderstorms. Most colleges and universities in Florida have covered walkways

Z981

That's right, it's 64-66 inches of rain a year in Miami if recall correctly?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2018, 12:26:07 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on March 16, 2018, 12:15:49 PM

Probably for shade for pedestrians, it’s hot as balls in Miami most of the year.

Z981

That’s right, it’s 64-66 inches of rain a year in Miami if recall correctly?

In the summer, it's generally short but strong showers or storms every day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.