News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US DOTs introduce measures to stop wrong-way driving

Started by cpzilliacus, April 06, 2018, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

ITS International: US DOTs introduce measures to stop wrong-way driving

QuoteWrong-way driving (WWD) is a remarkably innocuous term for incidents that all too often cause some of the worst accidents that emergency services have to deal with. Several US states are now taking steps to minimise the problem, as Alan Dron finds out.

QuoteYou're driving down a highway at night when you see approaching headlights. You initially assume they are merely those of an oncoming car on the opposite carriageway. It's only when they are within 200 yards or so that you realise that the other driver is in fact on the wrong side of the road and heading straight for you.

QuoteIf your reactions are quick, you avoid a horrific collision. If not...

QuoteIncidents of wrong-way driving (WWD) are, mercifully, relatively rare. But the fact that they frequently happen on divided highways — be they motorways, freeways or autostrada — where closing speeds can easily be in the order of 140mph (225km/h) means that if an impact occurs, it is often fatal.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

GaryV

Maybe they could just post messages on VMS, and then let the radio traffic reporters say over and over again that there's not a wrong-way driver.

(That's what happened in Detroit this morning.  I don't remember where - it wasn't where I was driving.)

txstateends

There have been several instances of wrong-way drivers on the Dallas North Tollway in recent years.  Most have been drunk.  Different things have been tried to avert this, including lowering do-not-enter signs and wrong-way signs on their posts (the theory being that an inebriated driver is looking downward more often than straight ahead (???)) as well as adding LED blinkers surrounding each sign for emphasis.  Even re-curbing at cross streets (like this: https://goo.gl/maps/Ads6P6Lehtw) where previously, the oncoming traffic from the off-ramp could turn left, with a straighter trajectory at first.  Now, to keep anyone coming from the left of the pic from turning onto that off-ramp, the curbed median was lengthened several feet toward the right of the pic.  This makes those turning left from the off-ramp turn a bit tighter, but gives less opportunity for those coming from the left on the cross-street to inadvertantly turn left there.  I've not heard about how much has changed (if at all) in wrong-way driving there since the sign and curb changes.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

UCFKnights

Quote from: txstateends on April 06, 2018, 06:34:11 PM
There have been several instances of wrong-way drivers on the Dallas North Tollway in recent years.  Most have been drunk.  Different things have been tried to avert this, including lowering do-not-enter signs and wrong-way signs on their posts (the theory being that an inebriated driver is looking downward more often than straight ahead (???)) as well as adding LED blinkers surrounding each sign for emphasis.  Even re-curbing at cross streets (like this: https://goo.gl/maps/Ads6P6Lehtw) where previously, the oncoming traffic from the off-ramp could turn left, with a straighter trajectory at first.  Now, to keep anyone coming from the left of the pic from turning onto that off-ramp, the curbed median was lengthened several feet toward the right of the pic.  This makes those turning left from the off-ramp turn a bit tighter, but gives less opportunity for those coming from the left on the cross-street to inadvertantly turn left there.  I've not heard about how much has changed (if at all) in wrong-way driving there since the sign and curb changes.
Errm, according to street view, the no left turn sign has been facing the wrong way for at least 10 years, probably forever. There is no actual sign there that says no left turn. Infact, there was a "left turn only" sign indicating to turn onto the off ramp until 2012's street view, where it was changed to "one way"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: GaryV on April 06, 2018, 05:01:48 PM
Maybe they could just post messages on VMS, and then let the radio traffic reporters say over and over again that there's not a wrong-way driver.

(That's what happened in Detroit this morning.  I don't remember where - it wasn't where I was driving.)

Not everyone listens to traffic reports (though many drivers do), and not every area has DMS units that can be of use in such an emergency.

I have sometimes wondered if there should be "wrong way" detectors on exit ramps (the technology would seem reasonably easy to design).  I think this has been experimented with, but I am not aware of any large-scale deployment - with the detectors triggering alarms on the ramp as well as to the appropriate dispatch centers and traffic management centers.  The alarms have to be designed to get the attention of drunk/high/buzzed/impaired drivers.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TEG24601

I'm still convinced that the only way to truly solve this problem is tire shredding devices on ramps, which detect the wrong-way driver, and disable the vehicle before they can reach the main traffic lanes.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadfro

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 08, 2018, 01:22:51 PM
Not everyone listens to traffic reports (though many drivers do), and not every area has DMS units that can be of use in such an emergency.

I have sometimes wondered if there should be "wrong way" detectors on exit ramps (the technology would seem reasonably easy to design).  I think this has been experimented with, but I am not aware of any large-scale deployment - with the detectors triggering alarms on the ramp as well as to the appropriate dispatch centers and traffic management centers.  The alarms have to be designed to get the attention of drunk/high/buzzed/impaired drivers.

The linked story in the OP mentions a system that Nevada DOT was installing in the Reno area.

That project is substantially complete, and was reported on by one of the local CBS affiliate a few weeks ago:
KTVN-TV2 - NDOT's New 'Wrong Way Driver System' Installed in North Valleys, 3/19/2018

Radar detection on the ramps, with lowered "WRONG WAY" signs supplemented by red RRFBs, and detection should alert NDOT & NHP. Unfortunately, there's not many VMS signs in that stretch to be able to provide advance warning to other motorists.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

Incidents of wrong-way driving (WWD) are, mercifully, relatively rare. But the fact that they frequently happen on divided highways — be they motorways, freeways or autostrada — where closing speeds can easily be in the order of 140mph (225km/h) means that if an impact occurs, it is often fatal.

I'm not sure what to make of that first line above.  They're rare, but they frequently happen on divided highways, per the article.  I don't even agree with that: Actually, accidents that involve crossing the yellow line are fairly common; much more so than wrong-way drivers on divided highways.

hbelkins

There was a terrible wrong-way accident on the WV Turnpike a couple of weeks ago. A woman from my area of Kentucky was driving the wrong way and was involved in a fatal wreck. And then a fire truck that was responding to that wreck and it wrecked, killing three firefighters.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2018, 02:43:54 PM
There was a terrible wrong-way accident on the WV Turnpike a couple of weeks ago. A woman from my area of Kentucky was driving the wrong way and was involved in a fatal wreck. And then a fire truck that was responding to that wreck and it wrecked, killing three firefighters.

An awful example of a what might be considered a secondary crash (since the crash involving the responding firefighters would not have happened  if the wrong-way crash had not happened).

Brian556

Want to solve this problem? Bring back prohibition

SectorZ

Quote from: Brian556 on April 09, 2018, 07:53:19 PM

I hope you're being sarcastic.

adventurernumber1

While alcohol does cause problems if used in the wrong way (most notably in the case of drunk drivers), I don't think Prohibition is the answer. Prohibition turned out to be a massive failure in American history, and it was repealed for a reason. It just didn't work. The focus should be put on giving alcoholics the treatment and rehabilitation they need, and - as is the focus of this thread - putting in road-related measures to try to prevent these things from happening, and reduce the severity and impact of them. If Prohibiton was brought back, there would still be drunk drivers on the road and people consuming alcohol (it's just they would then be getting it illegally - but they would still get it), and there would become a huge bootlegging and crime problem "behind the scenes" in society. As was evident when Prohibition actually happened, things only seemed to get worse.

Quote from: SectorZ on April 09, 2018, 08:36:42 PM

I hope you're being sarcastic.

If it was in fact sarcasm, then I am going to look like an idiot, and I am then reminded about how poorly I perform with social interaction (including detecting emotions and sarcasm sometimes), whether it be in person or online.  :-D  X-(  :paranoid:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

davewiecking

Quote from: TEG24601 on April 08, 2018, 02:03:11 PM
I'm still convinced that the only way to truly solve this problem is tire shredding devices on ramps, which detect the wrong-way driver, and disable the vehicle before they can reach the main traffic lanes.
I've read any number of articles about drunk drivers being stopped after having been driving on 4 flat/shredded tires. My solution would be a large electromagnet that suspends the car a foot off the ground. Any higher and it would need to include a mechanism to keep doors from being opened.
[/sarc]

roadman

Quote from: davewiecking on April 09, 2018, 11:25:57 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on April 08, 2018, 02:03:11 PM
I've read any number of articles about drunk drivers being stopped after having been driving on 4 flat/shredded tires. My solution would be a large electromagnet that suspends the car a foot off the ground. Any higher and it would need to include a mechanism to keep doors from being opened.
[/sarc]
It's the Top Gear Magnetron of Justice!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyK131i7olg
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Dustin DeWinn

Would rumble strips that only work in one direction be effective? I can think of use-cases at intersections where someone may get confused. This happened to me once at a major intersection at night that was poorly lit and 2 highways (one in each direction) caused me to almost turn onto the wrong way....rumble strips before turning there could have caught my attention but i dont know if the strips can work only in one direction?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on April 11, 2018, 03:14:58 PM
Would rumble strips that only work in one direction be effective? I can think of use-cases at intersections where someone may get confused. This happened to me once at a major intersection at night that was poorly lit and 2 highways (one in each direction) caused me to almost turn onto the wrong way....rumble strips before turning there could have caught my attention but i dont know if the strips can work only in one direction?

Most rumble strips are a small groove in the pavement. They will work and sound the same in both directions.

Dustin DeWinn

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on April 11, 2018, 03:14:58 PM

Most rumble strips are a small groove in the pavement. They will work and sound the same in both directions.

Just found this

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S204604301630065X

Bitmapped

I've seen a lot of areas that have tried multiple sets or high/low Wrong Way signs. Out of curiosity, has any DOT tried installing Stop signs facing the wrong way traffic?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 12, 2018, 12:21:55 PM
I've seen a lot of areas that have tried multiple sets or high/low Wrong Way signs. Out of curiosity, has any DOT tried installing Stop signs facing the wrong way traffic?
That might confuse the driver further.  "Stop" means stop and yield ROW to cross/oncoming traffic.  I bet some drivers would do that and just continue on.

roadman

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 12, 2018, 12:21:55 PM
As a kid in the 1960s, I remember seeing signs that read "WRONG WAY GO BACK." Never recall seeing any Stop signs though.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

ErmineNotyours

The on-ramps for the I-90 reversible lanes had steady red lights in addition to blankable red neon and flippable "do not enter" signs.

Brandon

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 19, 2019, 06:10:38 PM
The on-ramps for the I-90 reversible lanes had steady red lights in addition to blankable red neon and flippable "do not enter" signs.

The Kennedy Reversibles also have warnings, but that doesn't stop some:
https://goo.gl/maps/8JZiq6HQzet
https://goo.gl/maps/97vqPLLJtZT2
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.