Why do Louisville Traffic lights have a different yellow visor.

Started by Amtrakprod, May 26, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Big John

It is all of Kentucky that does that.  I think a study was done there that came to a conclusion that traffic operates better that way, but I am unsure.

kalvado

Not sure if that is related, but when first LED traffic lights were competing with incandescent,  energy and maintenance costs were estimated to justify the conversion. A common conclusion was that green and red have to become LED from $$ perspective -  but short yellow cycle does not use enough energy to justify cost of LED  conversion, and lamp lifetime is long due to short cycle.
looking at the picture, this yellow may actually be incandescent - and that could be the difference. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on May 26, 2018, 07:39:36 PM
Not sure if that is related, but when first LED traffic lights were competing with incandescent,  energy and maintenance costs were estimated to justify the conversion. A common conclusion was that green and red have to become LED from $$ perspective -  but short yellow cycle does not use enough energy to justify cost of LED  conversion, and lamp lifetime is long due to short cycle.
looking at the picture, this yellow may actually be incandescent - and that could be the difference. 

But no other state consistently used 2 different visors because of this.

hbelkins

I don't think the yellows in Kentucky are still incandescent. But I have no idea why the visor for the yellow lights in Kentucky is different.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2018, 09:21:07 PM
I don't think the yellows in Kentucky are still incandescent. But I have no idea why the visor for the yellow lights in Kentucky is different.

My best guess, and this is purely conjecture, is that the yellow might be washed out in the sun compared to the red and green due, obviously, to its color.  For some odd reason, here in Illinois, IDOT District 3, Kendall County, and Kane County are using cutaways for the red signals and tunnel visors for everything else.  That, I suspect is to help clear snow away from the reds.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

The same kind of visor setup was prevalent in Akron, Ohio since at least the 70s.  Back then most of their traffic signals were painted dark green or black (they are now the traditional yellow color).  I don't think the odd yellow-lensed visor has anything to do with the color of the traffic light in general.

My guess is that the tunnel visor holds more of the yellow light in, and thus makes it look brighter than the green or red lights with cutout visors, which in turn may attract more attention to the human eye. 

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2018, 09:47:03 AM
My guess is that the tunnel visor holds more of the yellow light in, and thus makes it look brighter than the green or red lights with cutout visors, which in turn may attract more attention to the human eye.

But if tunnel visors make the lights more visible, then why don't we use them on all signals?

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: US 89 on May 27, 2018, 04:30:43 PM
But if tunnel visors make the lights more visible, then why don't we use them on all signals?

I believe it's because snow can accumulate on the bottom of tunnel visors.

kalvado

Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2018, 09:47:03 AM

Again to point out possible difference between incandescent and LEDs:
Incandescent lights release enough heat to prevent snow accumulation..

Beltway

Because they are "special"? 

I know that some posters here don't like Bat City.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hotdogPi

Quote from: Beltway on May 27, 2018, 08:44:25 PM

What do you mean by "Bat City"? A quick Google search doesn't give a clear answer as to which city it is but seems to imply that it's Austin, not Louisville.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Beltway

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2018, 08:48:43 PM
What do you mean by "Bat City"? A quick Google search doesn't give a clear answer as to which city it is but seems to imply that it's Austin, not Louisville.

I'm sure you have heard of the Louisville Slugger.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on May 27, 2018, 08:59:53 PM

He is, of course, referring to me and my general dislike for Louisville.

But this isn't strictly a River City phenomenon. It happens all over Kentucky.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on May 27, 2018, 09:29:31 PM
Quote from: Beltway on May 27, 2018, 08:59:53 PM
He is, of course, referring to me and my general dislike for Louisville.
But this isn't strictly a River City phenomenon. It happens all over Kentucky.

As I am aware.

But they do make a mean bat, don't they?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 27, 2018, 04:52:52 PM

I believe it's because snow can accumulate on the bottom of tunnel visors.

Doesn't prevent the northern States from using them.

I'd be surprised if that was the real reason, being snow isn't exactly a long winter issue down there.

freebrickproductions

From what I understand, this practice was much more common across America years ago, especially back in the days of just a single 4-way signal hanging above each intersection with no pedestrian signals. The theory was that the yellow light was so bright that it'd shine into the windows of neighboring houses, so a tunnel visor or full circle visor would be placed on it to limit the side-splash of the yellow light. However, as this was in the days of one signal per direction with no ped signals, the red and green had cut-away visors on them to make it easier for pedestrians to see if the light facing them was green or not. As time went on and signal standards and practices were changed, most places have dropped the use of this funky style of visor arrangement, though Kentucky as a whole (for the most part) continues to use this odd-looking arrangement on their signals. However, I have also seen evidence of it being used in Ohio (as mentioned upthread), Alabama, and Michigan as well.

Also, IIRC, Kentucky also puts tunnel visors on all arrow indications, so the cutaways are typically only used on red and green balls.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Amtrakprod

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 28, 2018, 03:57:01 AM
Also, IIRC, Kentucky also puts tunnel visors on all arrow indications, so the cutaways are typically only used on red and green balls.

That I think is wrong according to this g maps shot, but I know New York does that:

iPhone

lepidopteran

IIRC, they were doing this before the widespread use of LED signals.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 29, 2018, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 28, 2018, 03:57:01 AM

That I think is wrong according to this g maps shot, but I know New York does that:

iPhone
IIRC, I remember seeing doghouses around Kentucky with tunnels on the arrows, so it could be one of those regional things. Though I also do recall the inline-4 signals only having it on the yellows as well...

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 29, 2018, 11:51:30 AM
IIRC, they were doing this before the widespread use of LED signals.
As I said earlier, many places across America were doing this back in the 40s and 50s (and probably into the 60s).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CardInLex

The reason is quite simple actually. The yellows are shielded this way to prevent drivers on the cross road from seeing the signal turn yellow and start to move before they receive a green. Also, the cutaways (on red and green) help if a signal bulb is out. Drivers approaching an intersection that (if for some reason) has both signals burned out, can look at the cross traffic signal and see what the color the cross traffic has and know to do the opposite.

Both of these reasons don't apply much today since signals are normally mounted on separate spans and thus much more visible to all directions, but a lot of signals in KY were originally diagonal spans which would have an cluster of signals for every direction on them (some of the Old Louisville) neighborhood still has this configuration.

Example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2286731,-85.7580667,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUxnb-DQSKrz9MgSEqrvLOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
EDIT: This example actually features incorrect visors on one of the indications.

Here is an example that is correct:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.237431,-85.7582474,3a,27.2y,186.55h,88.47t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sbLCo7MTcPxPC1bKetth0Rw!2e0!5s20170201T000000!7i13312!8i6656

hbelkins

There are a few of those old four-way signals left around the state. Downtown Carlisle has a few.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.