Longest and shortest posted Adopt-A-Highways

Started by michravera, June 13, 2018, 08:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

I seem to remember some sections of I-15 in Eastern California and sections of US-95 in Nevada as having "Adopt-A-Highway" sections posted as approximately 40 miles or more. Can anyone document my recollection? And beat it in other places?

I am also interested in short sections, but those have to be posted in order to be interesting.

roadman

Adopt-A-Highway segments are typically 2 miles in length.  The appearance of longer segments could simply be that nobody has expressed interest in those sections, so the DOT hasn't put signs up for them.

For the I-15 segments, I'd be curious if the signs actually say "NEXT 40 MILES."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

michravera

Quote from: roadman on June 14, 2018, 10:24:29 AM
Adopt-A-Highway segments are typically 2 miles in length.  The appearance of longer segments could simply be that nobody has expressed interest in those sections, so the DOT hasn't put signs up for them.

For the I-15 segments, I'd be curious if the signs actually say "NEXT 40 MILES."

"Typically 2 Miles": Absolutely! That's why I am calling out any that are substantially longer or very short.

As for I-15, as I said, I would like the documentary evidence (and thinking about it, it might be CASR-58) of what I am pretty sure that I saw. I-5 near the section between Utica Ave and Twissleman Rd is another possibility.

roadfro

Quote from: michravera on June 13, 2018, 08:55:40 PM
I seem to remember some sections of I-15 in Eastern California and sections of US-95 in Nevada as having "Adopt-A-Highway" sections posted as approximately 40 miles or more. Can anyone document my recollection? And beat it in other places?

I am also interested in short sections, but those have to be posted in order to be interesting.

Nevada's "Sponsor A Highway" standard sign indicates "Next 1 Mile". The "Adopt A Highway / Litter Control" standard sign does not include a distance legend–however, I'm fairly confident that such sections in Nevada are one- or two-mile segments. (I'm actually not sure the difference between the programs, other than I think the "Sponsor" version is used on urban freeways and the "Adopt" version is used on rural highways. I can't find info on NDOT's website to confirm details for either program.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MNHighwayMan

While it existed, MN-333 was 0.492 miles long. When I stopped by the former route in 2014, it still had this Adopt-a-Highway sign posted near its southern terminus with MN-99.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.