FIber optic and Bi-modual signals

Started by traffic light guy, July 02, 2018, 05:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

I remember when I was little, vacationing in New Jersey I was extremely fascinated, by their bi-modal signals. I was so used to doghouses growing up, that this threw me off. Does anyone have these weird fiber-optic or LED bi-modal signals in their area, they were one of my favorites growing up.

steviep24

They are very common here in Rochester NY. especially with signals owned by Monroe County. NYSDOT used them too but they mainly used doghouses. Both agencies are installing FYA for their new signals now.

Rick1962

Enid, Oklahoma and Overland Park, Kansas frequently use bi-modal arrows. Enid for left turn signals, and Overland Park for both left and right.

SM-T580

jakeroot

Tons of them here in Western Washington. They were the standard signal for left turns (until the FYA) for many agencies, and remain very popular for right turn filter signals. As far as I know, they're all LED. No mechanical signals up here.

Seattle has used bi-modal left turn signals with flashing yellow orbs instead of green orbs. They've been into bi-modal signals for a long time. Only a couple doghouses in the city, and I think they're all decently new.

plain

Last time I was in Charlottesville, Va, bi-modal signals were all over the place for left turns. Might still be the case.
Newark born, Richmond bred

txstateends

The only area in north TX I've seen bi-modal arrow signals used was in Addison, north of Dallas.  This was mainly in the pre-LED era.  Any new/replacement signal installs do not include any bi-modals.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: traffic light guy on July 02, 2018, 05:22:48 PM
I remember when I was little, vacationing in New Jersey I was extremely fascinated, by their bi-modal signals. I was so used to doghouses growing up, that this threw me off. Does anyone have these weird fiber-optic or LED bi-modal signals in their area, they were one of my favorites growing up.

I don't think any bi-modals in NJ are fiber-optic anymore; that in itself would be a fairly old relic.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 30, 2018, 08:16:38 AM

I don't think any bi-modals in NJ are fiber-optic anymore; that in itself would be a fairly old relic.
I actually saw at least one in the Hoboken, NJ area.

There's a few fiber-optic bimodal arrows here in Alabama, though I'm only aware of one that still works.

Atlanta, GA has a good number of bimodal LED arrows in service in their FYA doghouses.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 01, 2018, 05:18:45 AM

There's a few fiber-optic bimodal arrows here in Alabama, though I'm only aware of one that still works.

Atlanta, GA has a good number of bimodal LED arrows in service in their FYA doghouses.
Were they old fiber optic lights or LED Arrows

Ian

There was one in Trenton as of 2013 at the corner of Clinton Avenue and Barlow Street. No idea if it's still there or not, though.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Revive 755

There are still a few around Rockford, IL and in other parts of Illinois outside of Chicagoland (although I can't find any on Streetview tonight).

freebrickproductions

Quote from: traffic light guy on August 02, 2018, 09:13:40 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 01, 2018, 05:18:45 AM

Were they old fiber optic lights or LED Arrows

Which ones? The one near Hoboken was fiber-optic, while the ones in Atlanta are LED.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.