News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Blank logo signs

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, July 29, 2018, 05:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

So I was watching Big Rig Travels and noticed some logo signs without any logos on them. For example, one of the "food" signs before exit 53 along southbound I-29 near St. Joseph MO is totally devoid of any logos, and I've seen at least one blank "attractions" sign. I wonder why they install them if there's nothing to show, it appears to be a waste of money, but maybe they are making room for if someone is willing to pay to advertise there.

I've done a search, and it seems there are no threads about this, but I'm not sure about where to place the thread, if here or in Traffic Control.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 89

I can see at least three reasons why there would be empty logo signs:

1) they’re waiting for somebody to pay up, but still letting travelers know there are services at that exit
2) they’re waiting for something to get built, so they don’t have to put up a brand new sign when it does open
3) whatever used to be on that sign went out of business

roadfro

Quote from: US 89 on July 29, 2018, 10:00:49 AM
I can see three reasons why there would be empty logo signs:

1) they're waiting for somebody to pay up, but still letting travelers know there are services at that exit
2) they're waiting for something to get built, so they don't have to put up a brand new sign when it does open
I think #3 is most likely, or:

4) The business(es) that originally prompted the installation of the service sign opted not to continue participating in the logo sign program.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadfro on July 30, 2018, 02:19:53 AM
Quote from: US 89 on July 29, 2018, 10:00:49 AM
I can see three reasons why there would be empty logo signs:

1) they're waiting for somebody to pay up, but still letting travelers know there are services at that exit
2) they're waiting for something to get built, so they don't have to put up a brand new sign when it does open
I think #3 is most likely, or:

4) The business(es) that originally prompted the installation of the service sign opted not to continue participating in the logo sign program.

Or 5). There was never a logo sign at that exit until a current sign replacement contract included it, it has been installed, but there's really not that much at that exit.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

#4 is the mostly likely answer.

A sign using standard posts can be installed in a few hours when needed, so this most likely rules out #2.

#1 & #3 conflict with each other. A random traveler wouldn't know if there used to be a business there that went out of business or if there are businesses there that just aren't advertising.  Of these 2, #3 is the most likely scenario here.

roadman

#2 is actually very plausible, because a business will likely want to have the signs in place as soon as possible once they get final approval to open.  And installing a large extruded sign on steel beam posts in concrete foundations, such as comprises a typical Interstate/freeway LOGO sign background panel, takes more than just a few hours to accomplish.  By pre-installing the background sign, all that remains just before the business opening is to tack on the LOGO panels.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on July 30, 2018, 02:34:44 PM
#2 is actually very plausible, because a business will likely want to have the signs in place as soon as possible once they get final approval to open.  And installing a large extruded sign on steel beam posts in concrete foundations, such as comprises a typical Interstate/freeway LOGO sign background panel, takes more than just a few hours to accomplish.  By pre-installing the background sign, all that remains just before the business opening is to tack on the LOGO panels.

Quick and easy, if needed quickly: https://goo.gl/maps/5rKcE8TNagG2

For the normal steel beam posts used, between permitting, construction, and modifications required of a new restaurant, there's usually a half-year or longer between when businesses will go from a proposal to ready to open the doors.  The process is quite slow and drawn out.  Even the application and creation process for a highway sign itself takes quite a while.  None of this will be a last-minute decision which requires hasty signage.  And if it does somehow move quickly, what I linked above shows how simple a sign can be.

briantroutman

I have witnessed multiple cases of #3 and #4 happening, so I'm inclined to assume that this is the reason for most of these occurrences. In some instances, I've watched over time as a sign goes empty, is refilled, and later goes empty again. Perhaps for this reason, various DOTs might have a specified waiting period during which an empty services sign is allowed to stand.

I suppose #2 is possible, although the challenge with that scenario is that the DOT wouldn't know how many businesses would utilize the sign–and therefore, wouldn't know what size to make the panel. From my experience, most DOTs have two-logo (2 x 1), four-logo (2 x 2), and six-logo (2 x 3) versions of the sign panels. The DOT could default to installing the two-logo version, but what happens if three fast food joints pop up quickly at an interchange and want a place on the sign? Or if five go up but none of them are interested in services signage? It seems that the possible downsides and waste would outweigh the savings. Perhaps if the footings could be poured for minimal cost at the time of the road's construction or reconstruction, doing that in advance might make sense.

As to #1, if I encountered a specific services sign with no logos on it, I'd tend to assume that either:

- what was at the interchange has gone out of business, or
- there's a business still there, but it lost its franchise and is a dump

Either way, I wouldn't be inclined to stop. (Unless, of course, I did my own research and found out that there was a local business worth patronizing at the exit.)

jon daly

I've seen at least one blank "attractions" sign.

There's one near me (Exit 91 of I-95 in Conn..) But the DOT is re-signing the area, so this may be a temporary thing.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jon daly on July 30, 2018, 03:58:11 PM
I've seen at least one blank "attractions" sign.

There's one near me (Exit 91 of I-95 in Conn..) But the DOT is re-signing the area, so this may be a temporary thing.

Yeah, I was referring to the one for I-84 Exit 34 EB in Plainville.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

machias

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 29, 2018, 05:07:32 AM
So I was watching Big Rig Travels and noticed some logo signs without any logos on them. For example, one of the "food" signs before exit 53 along southbound I-29 near St. Joseph MO is totally devoid of any logos, and I've seen at least one blank "attractions" sign. I wonder why they install them if there's nothing to show, it appears to be a waste of money, but maybe they are making room for if someone is willing to pay to advertise there.

I've done a search, and it seems there are no threads about this, but I'm not sure about where to place the thread, if here or in Traffic Control.

Back in 1982 or 1983 when NYSDOT was adding logo signs to Interstate 81, they'd cover up the specific service until there was an actual logo on that particular sign. Since the program was just getting started it was common to see three or four big blue signs in a row that simply said "EXIT 32" until a logo was added, in which one of the signs would then say "GAS EXIT 32" or whatever.

I don't think they do that anymore.

SP Cook

I distinctly remember when the Rockefailure Gap in I-64 in WV was finally finished in 1988, every exit had blank blue signs for each service.  And no services.   The road followed a new route through undeveloped land, and the contractor followed orders and put up blank blue signs, apparently in anticipation of there being something built someday.

The chattering class complained, and it was indeed confusing, so after a couple of months they took them all down and put them into storage, re-erecting them as commerce picked up.  I suppose a lot are still in a DOH shed somewhere.

Rothman

I-79 also had blank ones in its more remote locations (i.e., before Fairmont and the like grew -- the stretch south of Morgantown).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mccojm

There's a bunch of empty attraction signs along I-495 on long island, ny In Particular Suffolk county. Was told by ROW department that they have strict guidelines as far as what is permitted to be used on the signs and typically when the sign is empty either there is nothing at that exit or no business or attraction applied to have logo on sign or they did and failed to meet requirements.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

Mergingtraffic

CT doesn't redo the LOGO signs if there is a signing contract coming through.  They are state property but the state does not maintain them at all.  It's up to the business to update the signs.  However, quite a few LOGO signs are button copy, so will CT DOT ever require those businesses to upgrade the signage to current standards?

The only service CTDOT maintains are ATTRACTIONS signs. 

So I'm guessing in MO, if the sign is blank and new, maybe the MODOT installs them and then the business only pays for the panel?  In CT that would never happen b/c again, the business is in charge of putting up the sign.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

pdx-wanderer

A logo sign on I-84, exit 353 originally advertised "lodging" and a since shuttered travel center/motel. Interestingly, even though "lodging" was advertised, there was no mention of the motel on the sign.

The sign then sat blank for nearly a decade. Finally last year it became a food sign advertising a business in Huntington, which is about 5 miles form the actual exit, and apparently is even too far away to adjust the distances on the "Next Services xx miles" signs west of Ontario and east of Baker City.

Now, a TA is going to replace the closed-down travel center. Probably a new "gas" sign will be installed with a TA logo, and the other half of the "food" sign will get a logo for the Subway/Taco Bell, etc. that ends up inside the TA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.