News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-710/CA 710 overall history

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 26, 2023, 09:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

We really didn't have a catch all thread for I-710/CA 710.  I decided to take a crack at the insanity/dumpster fire history of the overall 710 corridor:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/08/interstate-710.html

The Ghostbuster

It's too bad the 710 extension to 210 will never be built. While building a tunnel would have been very expensive, it would have been a crucial link in the Los Angeles freeway system. As for the scrapped expansion of existing 710, I would have built the new lanes in a similar fashion to the elevated lanes in the median of the 110 freeway.

RZF

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 26, 2023, 10:37:58 PM
It's too bad the 710 extension to 210 will never be built. While building a tunnel would have been very expensive, it would have been a crucial link in the Los Angeles freeway system. As for the scrapped expansion of existing 710, I would have built the new lanes in a similar fashion to the elevated lanes in the median of the 110 freeway.
At this point, CalTrans should at least relinquish the CA-710 stub and the vacant land south of that from Palmetto Dr to I-210/CA-134 to the City of Pasadena. That's prime real estate that could be developed. Keep the I-210 WB entrance off Pasadena Ave/Walnut Ave.

pderocco

^^^
I thought that was happening as of Jan 1.

Max Rockatansky

Just deleted the corridor from the Freeway & Expressway System.  A total relinquishment is an entire other matter.

Equally fascinating:

1.  I-710 doesn't exist per FHWA and AASHTO logs south of Ocean Boulevard or north I-710.  Despite that I-710 is signed in both segments.
2.  The actual acquisition of 710 on Terminal Island by the state is incredibly murky.  It shows up as expressway on the 2005 Caltrans Map before it should have.  So the question I've always wonder is, what changed to turn that over from the Port of Long Beach?

JustDrive

I just love how "Pasadena"  is signed on 710 all the way up, and then it's added as an afterthought to the ramp to EB 10, where there is no signage pointing drivers to Pasadena.

DTComposer

Quote from: JustDrive on August 28, 2023, 01:44:56 PM
I just love how "Pasadena"  is signed on 710 all the way up, and then it's added as an afterthought to the ramp to EB 10, where there is no signage pointing drivers to Pasadena.

There is/was some supplemental signage for Pasadena on I-10 east approaching CA-19/Rosemead Blvd.:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0718812,-118.0821311,3a,37.5y,94.2h,90.86t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIKGh1QrjocV92GMTUslHEw!2e0!5s20210201T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I wondered if they were going to change the control city now that the gap will (likely) never be completed.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 27, 2023, 11:45:39 PM
2.  The actual acquisition of 710 on Terminal Island by the state is incredibly murky.  It shows up as expressway on the 2005 Caltrans Map before it should have.  So the question I've always wonder is, what changed to turn that over from the Port of Long Beach?

My understanding was Caltrans took it over upon completion of the new bridge - I remember it mentioned in one of their documents, but can't find an actual date. The postmile tool shows it as part of 710 from the Heim Bridge junction, with R mileage reflecting the new bridge. The portion west of there, which is on the books as part of 47, is not in the postmile tool until the approach to the Vincent Thomas Bridge (at the former toll plaza), so that would still be under local maintenance - half of that segment is in Long Beach and half in Los Angeles, so not sure what the agreement is.

mrsman

I agree that the control city for I-710 NB should be changed since Pasadena is no longer a realistic possibility.

Prior to the extension north of I-5, the control city was Los Angeles, as the Long Beach Fwy was basically a spur off the Santa Ana Fwy.  For a while, there was a sign on a surface street entrance somewhere in the Bell Gardens area that had a sign for CA-7 north to Los Angeles, not Pasadena.

IMO, L.A. should be the NB control for most of I-710 in place of Pasadena.

North of I-5, the control should be Alhambra.  At I-10, Valley Blvd is a proper control.  Alhambra is a good control in the local area (similar to my suggestion of using San Dimas on CA-57 north of 60), but not as good of a control as Los Angeles in areas like Long Beach and Compton.  Since 710 does give a left entrance onto I-5, it is well suited for an L.A. control in areas further south.

The references to Pasadena directing traffic to I-10 east should be removed.  There are many different surface street routings to Pasadena, and I don't believe that any one of them wants to be the primary route and get all of the traffic.  Valley-Fremont tends to be the busiest, as it is the most direct.  But don't go posting signs there, people will use waze instead.

The signs for CA-19 to Pasadena are innocuous, but unnecessary if the sign at 710/10 directing traffic to Pasadena to take I-10 east are removed.

If 710 doesn't go to Pasadena, its signs shouldn't get you there.

Max Rockatansky

Could just take a page from the National Old Trails Road and sign a County Route continuation of 710 up Fair Oak Avenue.

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 30, 2023, 06:31:36 PM
Could just take a page from the National Old Trails Road and sign a County Route continuation of 710 up Fair Oak Avenue.

Yeah, Valley-Fremont-Huntington-Fair Oaks-Del Mar - 134/210.

The Ghostbuster

I have a feeling that once AB 29 and SB 7 take effect on January 1st, Interstate 710 will eventually be torn down north of Interstate 10 and CA 710 south of Interstate 210/CA 134 will also be removed entirely. Does this seem like a probable prediction to any of you?

Max Rockatansky

Really I don't see a point in ripping out a situationally useful stub freeway for nominal real estate development.  I don't even think there has ever been momentum towards removing 710 between I-10 and Valley.

DTComposer

I know there's been discussion about the Pasadena section, either turning it into a boulevard or removing it completely and turning it into a park. I'd like to see the ramps to/from the I-210 sections reconfigured to provide more direct access to Colorado Boulevard.

Quote from: mrsman on August 30, 2023, 06:18:09 PM
Prior to the extension north of I-5, the control city was Los Angeles, as the Long Beach Fwy was basically a spur off the Santa Ana Fwy.  For a while, there was a sign on a surface street entrance somewhere in the Bell Gardens area that had a sign for CA-7 north to Los Angeles, not Pasadena.

IMO, L.A. should be the NB control for most of I-710 in place of Pasadena.

I thought about this, but I wonder if, since I-110 uses Los Angeles as the control (and is more direct to get to downtown/Hollywood), and I-710 gets such a huge amount of truck traffic, that Caltrans would rather discourage the use of I-710 to get to downtown L.A.

I do think the control for I-710 southbound at I-405 should be Downtown Long Beach - if you're heading southbound on I-405, most of the city outside of downtown is better reached by staying on I-405.

RZF

I-710 NB control city as Los Angeles wouldn't work well. As stated above, I-110 is the best freeway serving DTLA from drivers on I-405, CA-91, I-105, and I-10. If we want to equate "Downtown" with "Los Angeles", we should treat it as such. "East Los Angeles" might be a better control city because it not only encompasses the East LA CDP, but also is the geographic designation for neighborhoods like El Sereno and City Terrace, all of which I-710 serves.

mrsman

I agree  with the above two posters.

Downtown Long Beach would be massively helpful as a control at 710/405.  Do you think that traffic coming along 405 from OC should take 405 to 710 to reach Downtown LB as well.  Control city guidance seems to suggest just driving down 7th street following the CA-22 stub near CSULB.  That is most direct, but a lot of stoplights along 7th.  If traffic is moving well, it would seem better to just do 405 to 710.

I don't like LB as a control for 605 because 710 is more direct, so it would seem to be consistent I shouldnt want 710 to have an LA control where 110 is more direcct.  However, given the 710 gap, there should be some guidance on 210 (and only 210 WB) that traffic for Long Beach from 210 should take 605 south and then guided to 91 WB and then 710 SB.  Not as controls but as supplemental signage.  [My preference for 605 controls are Duarte and Seal Beach.]

I do like "East Los Angeles" as the general control on 710 between LB and I-5.  It denotes the industrial areas and RR yards of the area, where 710 is the most direct.  It also denotes 710 as the better access to reach any of the freeways served by the East LA interchange.  If you are on 105, 91, or 405, you probably should take 110 if you are headed to most of Downtown LA, but arguably if you are headed to the industrial areas of eastern Los Angeles you are better off taking 710.  Since LA is well known, East LA is well known, which does serve as a better choice than just signing Alhambra as the control on the entire freeway.

If you are ultimately heading toward the Golden State Fwy, 710 is better (and the only way if you are a truck). 

North of I-5, I like Alhambra as a control and then Valley Blvd just north of 10.

710 goes right through the heart of East L.A.'s Mexican-American community.  Guidance to "Los Angeles" is directed via 5, 60, or 10 if needed.  Guidance further north to Alhambra once you already are in East LA at 5/710 should  adequately address remaining issues.

mrsman

I'll add that after doing some google maps directions from Lakewood it seems that 710 is preferred to many parts of "Downtown LA" over 110 to avoid backtracking.  So if you are coming on 105, 91, or 405 from the east and you are headed towared a Bunker Hill office tower, 110 is still the best choice.  But if you are headed to the eastern parts of Downtown like the Fashion District or even Union Station and City Hall, 710 to 5 to 10 (or 101) is a better choice.

But again that probably reinforces what we mentioned earlier that a control of East Los Angeles would be ideal as that contemplates the unincorporated community right off 710, Boyle Heights area and the related interchanges, and even the eastern parts of Downtown LA.  Its distinct from 110's control, yet is widely known and serves a better regional purpose than using Alhambra from areas that are south of I-5.

DTComposer

Quote from: mrsman on September 10, 2023, 07:46:47 AM
Downtown Long Beach would be massively helpful as a control at 710/405.  Do you think that traffic coming along 405 from OC should take 405 to 710 to reach Downtown LB as well.  Control city guidance seems to suggest just driving down 7th street following the CA-22 stub near CSULB.  That is most direct, but a lot of stoplights along 7th.  If traffic is moving well, it would seem better to just do 405 to 710.

Usually it took me about the same amount of time either way. Once you're past CSULB and the PCH/Bellflower/7th intersection, it's pretty smooth sailing along 7th. All things being equal I usually took 7th, since it was less than half the mileage of taking 405/710.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: mrsman on September 10, 2023, 10:20:49 PM
I'll add that after doing some google maps directions from Lakewood it seems that 710 is preferred to many parts of "Downtown LA" over 110 to avoid backtracking.  So if you are coming on 105, 91, or 405 from the east and you are headed towared a Bunker Hill office tower, 110 is still the best choice.  But if you are headed to the eastern parts of Downtown like the Fashion District or even Union Station and City Hall, 710 to 5 to 10 (or 101) is a better choice.

But again that probably reinforces what we mentioned earlier that a control of East Los Angeles would be ideal as that contemplates the unincorporated community right off 710, Boyle Heights area and the related interchanges, and even the eastern parts of Downtown LA.  Its distinct from 110's control, yet is widely known and serves a better regional purpose than using Alhambra from areas that are south of I-5.

During the day, the 110 almost always backs up as you get into the slot and approach Adams. The 710 to the East LA interchange is variable in terms of traffic. Unless Waze tells me otherwise, I always choose the 710 to the 5, 60, or 10 to get to downtown just because both the 110 and the 105 between the 710 and 110 is almost always going to be the same or slower as taking the 710.

I'll give you an example: my office is in Downtown Long Beach. If I have to go to Downtown LA for something (meeting on bunker hill or in the financial district, or a court appearance at Stanley mosk), I've never had a mapping program tell me to take the 710 to the 405 to the 110. It's always the 710 to the 5 or the 10.

JustDrive

Quote from: mrsman on August 30, 2023, 06:18:09 PMPrior to the extension north of I-5, the control city was Los Angeles, as the Long Beach Fwy was basically a spur off the Santa Ana Fwy.  For a while, there was a sign on a surface street entrance somewhere in the Bell Gardens area that had a sign for CA-7 north to Los Angeles, not Pasadena.

There still exists a "Los Angeles"  sign on WB Wardlow at the 710 on-ramp. Probably the only remnant still left.

JustDrive

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 30, 2023, 07:03:29 PM
I have a feeling that once AB 29 and SB 7 take effect on January 1st, Interstate 710 will eventually be torn down north of Interstate 10 and CA 710 south of Interstate 210/CA 134 will also be removed entirely. Does this seem like a probable prediction to any of you?

The 710 stub is still the quickest route from 210/134 to the Arroyo Seco Parkway. I usually take 710/Pasadena/Columbia/Orange Grove to the 110 to go downtown.

mrsman

Quote from: JustDrive on September 10, 2023, 11:54:51 PM
Quote from: mrsman on August 30, 2023, 06:18:09 PMPrior to the extension north of I-5, the control city was Los Angeles, as the Long Beach Fwy was basically a spur off the Santa Ana Fwy.  For a while, there was a sign on a surface street entrance somewhere in the Bell Gardens area that had a sign for CA-7 north to Los Angeles, not Pasadena.

There still exists a "Los Angeles"  sign on WB Wardlow at the 710 on-ramp. Probably the only remnant still left.

Thank you so much.  I knew this existed somewhere, but I forgot which cross street.  A true relic, the only 710 north sign with a control city other than Pasadena.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8213441,-118.2063661,3a,37.5y,334.85h,84.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQzl1dtU4IuANTg0QgjrZvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

And given the state of the 710 non-extension and all of the above discussion of the utility of using 710 to get to Downtown LA, the only correct sign in the whole county.

710 north to Los Angeles!

(But I'd also be happy with 710 north to East Los Angeles.)

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 26, 2023, 10:37:58 PM
It's fucking infuriating.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.